charnwood vs record Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well here's a little secret that Felder would prefer people didn't know.....my understanding is that a bunch of parts for the Hammer range are in fact manufactured in China. They may well be assembled in Austria or wherever their factory is in Europe but even the mighty are unable to ignore the lower labour costs in the far east. This was told to me by a chap in the trade I met at a show.

Hi Guys well l received the Record 12 Inch bandsaw the other day and today l spent a while today setting everything up, AND THATS WHEN IT ALL WENT PEAR SHAPED. when it then came to the big turn on Oh Oh soon as l pressed the start button it tripped my fuses in the garage. strange l thought so l reset the fuse and the same happen again. Lucky for me my neighbour is a sparky and is off work do to a accident he came around and said the motor is a dead short.

Just my luck, got on the phone to the supplier and told them and they said they would have to order another one should be here towards end of next week l said don't bother l will have my money back.

Its just my luck, but on the other hand my neighbour said his brother has Maktia Bandsaw so l am going to have a look at that let you know what l think later

Hard luck

If I were you I'd get in direct contact with record uk

Tell them they are about to lose the sale.

I'm sure they are a decent bunch of chaps and will respond accordingly

......... like Charnwood would do ( sorry Bob hard to resist).

well my record 12 bandsaw came early this week l spent a couple of hours setting it up then came the big turn on POP goes the electric tripped out in the garage. strange l thought so l tried again POP mmmmm something not right here. lucky for me my neighbour is a sparky so l had him have a look and the reason is the Motor has a dead short. Just my luck, so on the phone to the supplier he told me he could get me one for the end of next week, mmm

well l said l will have my money back, strangely enough my neighbour said his brother has a Maktia bandsaw so l going to have a look at his tonight
let you know more later

regards allan

More seriously, I had exactly the same thing happen with a lathe I bought and the solution was for a competent electrical guru (9 fingers in my case) to fiddle around with my consumer unit and adjust the breakers so they weren't on a hair trigger. Works fine now. Might be the machine of course but it might not. Just make sure you fix the right problem is my advice.

I had a similar problem with my Bosch mitre saw. The electrician upgraded the relevant part in the fuse box and the problem was cured. He explained that it was a surge when the unit was switched on which would always trip the fuse.

you're referring (I think) the change to a type C fuse?? Now I'm not good with electrics so someone competent feel free to chime in and correct any terminology errors I'm about to make but its important to discuss the principle here because otherwise you may be sending the thing back for completely the wrong reason and any other manufacturers machine you replace it with will experience the same problem. I'm guessing you don't want that??

So Mr gardener above is a typical case. His breaker was the wrong rating ie a normal household one (type B???). When you start up a tonking great bit of cast iron like the block of a planar/thicknesser or the cast iron bandwheels of a bandsaw, depending on the motor size, they draw a lot of current to overcome the inertia of the components....that's what trips a regular household breaker. For workshop use, you'll be wanting the type C??? breaker which is more forgiving of startup load. It's not so much on a "hair trigger" and will allow a high startup without tripping. Incidentally, once the thing is running the power requirements are much less as momentum is involved so the fuse popping ceases to be an issue...its just on startup.

That's a typical and very common case for many and we've seen it reported here numerous times.

My case was slightly different and I'll probably even cock-up the explanation as I'm such a dunderhead with electrics but here goes to try and convey the principle. My consumer unit had 2 banks of fuses, some were not governed by an RCD and some were. When we plugged the lathe into a plug socket that was governed by the RCD it tripped every time but using the non RCD sockets it ran fine. They both had the regular household type B??? fuses mounted so it clearly wasn't that. What Bob did to fix it was open up the consumer unit and move the appropriate fuses (that led to the sockets in my garage) so they weren't controlled by the RCD. They now work fine. Don't even try and explain why that worked because you'll start using terms like "earth leakage" and I'll lose the will to live!

Anyway, its really worth making sure your sparky isn't talking out of an orifice in his body, not normally associated with verbal communication BEFORE you send anything heavy anywhere!!

I totally agree with what Bob has said. I had the same problem with the BS400 bandsaw and the fuse kept blowing. When I called in the electrician he found out that the plugs in the detached garage were run back to a 13amp spur from a house socket.

I decided to have a complete garage rewire and fuseboard so that I could start up several items at once if required. Also, at this time of the year, the power is also being drawn for electrical heating, adding to the load. Ideally, get an electrician to check your wiring.

Alex

Bob is correct in his assumption that it was a type B fuse originally and needed a type C fuse.
I was very lucky as the garage and house are on separate parts of the fuse box and so it only cost me the price of the fuse and about 5 minutes of the electricians time.
I would certainly check my elecricity supply before I changed the machine again.

John

Is it easy to change the MCB? I fitted a new one in a consumer unit once but it was many years ago. I've never actually tried changing one. The only isolaters I have are on the consumer unit itself. The replacement C type MCB only seems to be a couple of quid.

Well l went out yesterday to look at a charnwood and to be honest now l have had a closer look it l like the idea of a leaver to take the tension off the blade when not in use and also the fence feels very sturdy Yes it does not have the longer warranty given like record and the price is not all that different so as yet still undecided ,,,,, good job l am in no hurry l will not be starting the new rocking horse until after santa has been lol

Latest posts

Back