Charlesworth Furniture Making Techniques v2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yan89

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon folks,

Pretty hopeful post but just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a copy of the above book?

A cursory glance on google suggests prices are in the hundreds..

Thanks

Afternoon folks,

Pretty hopeful post but just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a copy of the above book?

A cursory glance on google suggests prices are in the hundreds..

Thanks
They crop up often at normal prices.
He died very recently which might have set off a rush and if there's enough scarcity booksellers try it on with daft prices.
If you wait a bit and put a search in with Abe or Ebay it'll turn up eventually.
It's on Amazon at £1250.99! Resist temptation!

Last edited:
They crop up often at normal prices.
He died very recently which might have set off a rush and if there's enough scarcity booksellers try it on with daft prices.
If you wait a bit and put a search in with Abe or Ebay it'll turn up eventually.
It's on Amazon at £1250.99! Resist temptation!
Phew- thanks for the reassurance! I saw the book recomended by Custard a while ago but when I saw those prices my heart sank!

Will hold out a while

Good grief, I just took a look on the Web, ridiculous prices, I saw them on David`s website but didn`t realise they are out of print. Perhaps Lost Art Press may step in at some point and buy the rights to print them .

Good grief, I just took a look on the Web, ridiculous prices, I saw them on David`s website but didn`t realise they are out of print. Perhaps Lost Art Press may step in at some point and buy the rights to print them .
It’s crazy right?

I bought a Peter Sefton video on planing and sharpening which I think will cover the specifics I need right now, but there was a specific technique RE cambering that I wanted to look at in the book. I’ve put an alert up for both volume one and two on ABE - results returned immediately but one is c. £330 and the other well over £500.

It’s crazy right?

I bought a Peter Sefton video on planing and sharpening which I think will cover the specifics I need right now, but there was a specific technique RE cambering that I wanted to look at in the book. I’ve put an alert up for both volume one and two on ABE - results returned immediately but one is c. £330 and the other well over £500.
Just means popular book out of stock. I sold a copy on here at the then normal price £20.
If you pay the daft price they'll send out their lad on a bike to track down a copy!
I've got Ingham's Cutting-edge Cabinetmaking on ebay at £35 but no buyers even though its on elsewhere at £75 or more

Also have a look at the reviews on Amazon.... I think David was a great educator and innovator in the field of woodworking, but the books are merely a collection of older magazine articles, at least ones I checked out (a fellow on a dutch woodworking forum had three books for sale).
So maybe it makes sense to track down the magazines themselves (which magazine did he write for, "Furniture & Cabinetmaking"?)

Also have a look at the reviews on Amazon.... I think David was a great educator and innovator in the field of woodworking, but the books are merely a collection of older magazine articles, at least ones I checked out (a fellow on a dutch woodworking forum had three books for sale).
So maybe it makes sense to track down the magazines themselves (which magazine did he write for, "Furniture & Cabinetmaking"?)
Yep.
Surprisingly little "furniture making technique" in the first book, just odds and ends. Haven't seen v2.

He had a regular column in Furniture and Cabinetmaking magazine for years, they might be available somewhere?

Don't get too alarmed by the high prices quoted - it's a common trick used by sellers when they are out of stock of an item. They simply amend the price instead of pulling / re-listing the item (less twiddling with the software) in the knowledge that nobody (well, nobody in their right mind) would pay £1250.99 ! Keeping the listing alive also ensures hits on their website ....

If I can locate it, I think I have a duplicated purchase. not sure which book you are after, mine are :

David Charlesworth's Furniture-Making Techniques : A Guide to Hand Tools and Methods (Paperback)​

Last edited:
It’s crazy right?

I bought a Peter Sefton video on planing and sharpening which I think will cover the specifics I need right now, but there was a specific technique RE cambering that I wanted to look at in the book.
You are aware all that may have changed, especially since he mentioned the cap iron in recent times, (knowing the angle honed on the cap iron relates to how much camber you can get away with, i.e if cap iron ain't steep enough, then hardly any camber atall...i.e as close to flat as you can possibly make a blade)

but he made videos on the matter using an eclipse honing guide,
and all likely hidden in the archives somewhere here, if you search for David C, or alternatively on sawmill creek, an American forum, under his own name I think.

Last edited:
Note that the current issue of Quercus magazine is dedicated to David Charlesworth. A number of articles discussed in regard to his techniques.

Regards from Perth

Derek

If I can locate it, I think I have a duplicated purchase. not sure which book you are after, mine are :

David Charlesworth's Furniture-Making Techniques : A Guide to Hand Tools and Methods (Paperback)​

Hi there

I managed to get a copy for £35 of Volume 2, although I haven't got Volume 1 which I what I think you refer to. I'd be happy to buy this if that's the case?

Hi there

I managed to get a copy for £35 of Volume 2, although I haven't got Volume 1 which I what I think you refer to. I'd be happy to buy this if that's the case?
I have found one of the pair, publisher is GMC but it came in 2006, much later than the 1999 & 2001 v1 & v2, David's intro describes it as the third volume of reprinted articles from the magazine. Let me know if you wish to purchase.

Last edited:
The seller of that book has ended that listing and relisted for over £100!!
That's because they are out of stock and it saves having to relist it.
I had the first vol but it didn't have much about "Furniture-making Techniques" - was just a selection of old magazine articles. Is vol 2 any better?

I have found one of the pair, publisher is GMC but it came in 2006, much later than the 1999 & 2001 v1 & v2. Let me know if you wish to purchase.
GMC published three books by David. The 2006 book is "A Guide to Hand Tools and Methods".

Back