Changing from Virgin to Sky

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
After being with Virgin for more year than I can remember we are changing to Sky.
What I would like to know is, they have given me a disc to put in to the computer to put on there Internet but do I delete the Virgin program first?
I have just looked through the programs and I can not see any that relate to Virgin or NTLworld as it was called.
If there is anyone that has just changed was it easy to do.
So far we have got the TV and a new phone line, the router has been delivered.
Thanks Reg

I have regularly had to uninstall virgin security from Control panel add/remove (because of conflicts) and it has never been a problem for me.

If you mean the internet connection I would assume you just change the default settings in Internet connections Preferences. Or perhaps the Sky disk will do that for you.

Slightly OT but can I ask why you're switching away from Virgin? We're on Sky for TV/broadband/phone but I'm considering putting Virgin broadband in just to get a fast fibre connection that's independent of the phone network - just wondering if you'd had problems with Virgin?

We're perfectly happy with Sky btw, just the broadband speed isn't significantly better than the BT service we had before.

Like DW and Matt, I've never used the CD from the ISP, just connected directly to the router via the network settings.

Cheers, Pete

Out of interest why have you left Virgin. We have been with Virgin/Ntl for years and never had any problems really their internet service has been really reliable and we have the HD TV too.

Only thing I will say is that the bills seem to creep up, we rang a few years back and told them we were off to Sky and they halved the bill and gave us free weekend and evening calls but the bill seems to have risen quiet a bit since so they will be due for another call I think.

Typically, if you use an ethernet cable to plug into a modem/router to access the internet, then you don't need any additional software on your PC (or Mac) to access the internet. Just make sure your browser is set to "detect settings automatically". Any software that your ISP provides is usually unnecessary.

If you use USB, then often you do need software. But it you are using USB, I suggest you use ethernet instead, as it is far less hassle. :wink:

As for Virgin, they have some serious privacy issues...
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/securit...o-monitor-virgin-media-surveillance-40004190/

Thanks for all the advise, will be doing the change over to Sky this Wednesday, hopefully.
I have been with Virgin for years now with the XL package and my phone bill I some times pay £50 to £70, the phone knocks it up but with Sky package we get phone calls free, even to Australia and France.
The price for this is £36 but may have just gone up £2.
You also get this recorder box with pause button, great for making a cuppa.
The phone line was free to have put in as we only had cable.
We will give it a go for a year and if not up to scratch we can always go back to Virgin.
I do not know about broadband speed have to wait and see but I don't down load films or music just email and a couple of forums plus browse the net from time to time.
If it was not for the price I would stay as I was but money is a bit tight so trying to save were I can.
Thanks again Reg

My virgin monthly standing charge is £39.99 but I am down to TV M only.
200 minutes a month free telephone calls anything but 0900.
broadband I think is 10mbs.

Well I have done it, it took about 15 min's to connect up and left on for 5 min's, used no CD, excellent working just fine.
Better check if my phones work now.
If anyone changes it is dead easy and seems to be faster.
Ta Reg

devonwoody":2klwpko9 said:
I am down to TV M only.

Why? I recently bought my internet with Virgin and looked at the packages, I was astounded to realize they wanted to charge me for TV M+ as it has one, A SINGLE extra channel over freeview! Madness.

So many Virgin deals...

I pay £42 for the following:
XL TV with a V+ HD box/recorder.
M broadband.
Free calls up to 1 hour (hang up and dial again and it resets the clock ;o)).

So, the only extras I pay is pay-per-view if used and calls to the 0845 numbers and similar.

I also like the fact that if the box screws up, it's replaced FOC.

Chems":3r7atchm said:
devonwoody":3r7atchm said:
I am down to TV M only.

Why? I recently bought my internet with Virgin and looked at the packages, I was astounded to realize they wanted to charge me for TV M+ as it has one, A SINGLE extra channel over freeview! Madness.

I get the TV grade M at no charge, but has matt says the combination of different tariffs would need a mathematician with an honours degree to come to perfect rate.

Fascinating.

There's lies, damn lies and statistics. Oh yes...nearly forgot...Virgin Media's estimate of my broadband speed - 8 to 9 Mbps :shock: . In all the time we've been here, I've ever got anywhere close to half that. Telephone line...long way from the exchange. Doesn't inspire me to move to them.

What's their tech support like ?

Roger there system is cable, so exchange should not be an issue?

Support is good if it is an individual problem, but if it is an area breakdown, they only generalise when the service will be back on line, something like, "our engineers are working on the problem and it should be back midday or evening " which might be 6 hours away and then it might not happen even then.

Rarely need to use their support. When I have it's scripted but usually quite a reliable outcome.

Do you have cable (i.e. routed near your home) or would you be reliant on the phone line, Roger?

matt":2fjw9vl8 said:
Rarely need to use their support. When I have it's scripted but usually quite a reliable outcome.

Do you have cable (i.e. routed near your home) or would you be reliant on the phone line, Roger?

Phone line.

Back