Chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithkarl2007

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying to make a chair using this method. http://video.pbs.org/video/2172468729 I understand there could be a number of issues. Wood movement, cupping and possibly the weight exerted on the joints. What I had in mind was using material approx. 3" thick and maybe 15" wide. Are there any other issues I should be worried about?

I don't know, but I would certainly be interested to follow your pictures of doing it!

It does sound a crazy idea at first, but who knows? Maybe it could work!

AndyT":36cmkprw said:
I don't know, but I would certainly be interested to follow your pictures of doing it!

It does sound a crazy idea at first, but who knows? Maybe it could work!

I thought it would look pretty good if it works out. Just have to decide on what stable wood to use, maybe something quarter-sawn but a board 15-16" wide and 3" thick quarter-sawn would be hard to get.

The video won't play for me, but that's the bookstand make from one piece split into two the hard way, forming a hinge in the process, right ? Odd. I was looking at a chair at the Bodger's ball the weekend before last and the very same idea crossed my mind. I dismissed it on account of the strength required, particularly of the sort of cross-grain bit at the hinge. But it would be fun if it worked.

Yeah that's it. I'm definitely going to try it. I'll get some cheap timber and make a prototype and see how it goes, mainly to get an idea of the finished size and figure out the splay on the part that will open out for the legs.

Back