Cast iron top or not ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopeful

Reaction score
Hi all
Just looking for opinions really I think I must be missing the obvious
I have a stratrite ta think it’s the 175 modal and it’s brilliant my first so nothing to compare with but for me it’s really good don’t know how old she is it’s got to be 15- 20 years old ?? But never missed a beat it really is a fantastic saw for me Iv spent the last few day frigging around to improve dust collection
I was looking for bits and ideas and came across Charnwood contractor w625saw it’s got a tin top not cast but the blade is fully enclosed so dust collection should be really good + it’s £360 new
My cast top saw feels like a quality bit of kit bit if you take the tops out off the equation blad size and the gubbins are similar spc
But 2 /3 x the price ????

You could also look at metebo saw which are a somewhat cheaper.

You could make a box to fit under your saw yo catch the dust.

Cheers James

If you have a Startrite TA 175 saw, it is definitely older than 15/20 years old.....

To think even about comparing in quality with a Charnwood 625 is a real injustice to the Startrite.

As above, this is not a fair comparison, a cast top compared to a site saw sheet metal top is different machines for different uses. Also as already noted, the Metabo is a lot lower (FFX do them for around £280).

I'd be looking at improving your current saw by looking at something in the interior and perhaps adding a proper crown extractor, something like this design; Axminster Trade Overhead Crown Guard Kit

The Irony here is if you posted saying you had a Charnwood site saw which was okay at dust collection (debatable) but wanted to move up to a better saw, at some point in the replies an old cast Startrite is eventually going to appear in the replies. You have a good base to work with, just improve where you can.

Yeah I was expecting those replies I’m really happy with what I have just been playing with it I’d like to understand how to adjust the fence I know there was play built in but still works perfectly
It was opinions really (or fact ) as I don’t no
Is it better components ? Or just the top ?
I had a Eli flip saw for when I was on site when it was turned on you could hear a very well made machine
Btw the dust collection improved massively in the end I got a small paint scuttle cut around all the moving bits with dust port at the bottom works well

Ive got a dewalt 745 for site use and a multico ta in my workshop. I love both. The dewalt is extremely accurate. The fence on the multico takes longer to set up and i will end up changing it for an axminster upgraded fence ( quick to set and easier to make a tenon jig for it )

I made a simple panel at the base of the multico for the 100mm extractor pipe, it works ok. As shed9 said, crown extraction is a good idea and is something i will do when I have time. I cant see me wanting to get rid of the multico, its a good solid bit of kit.

I would definitely put the effort into upgrading what you have

Hi all
Just looking for opinions really I think I must be missing the obvious
I have a stratrite ta think it’s the 175 modal and it’s brilliant my first so nothing to compare with but for me it’s really good don’t know how old she is it’s got to be 15- 20 years old ?? But never missed a beat it really is a fantastic saw for me Iv spent the last few day frigging around to improve dust collection
I was looking for bits and ideas and came across Charnwood contractor w625saw it’s got a tin top not cast but the blade is fully enclosed so dust collection should be really good + it’s £360 new
My cast top saw feels like a quality bit of kit bit if you take the tops out off the equation blad size and the gubbins are similar spc
But 2 /3 x the price ????

I have the TA1250, which is I think not too different from the TA175. I believe there's a lot of benefit from putting a vacuum on to the crown guard, and that should pick up the vast majority of dust which otherwise gets into the room.

Something like this: Axminster 250/254mm Crown Guard Mine is transparent perspex, which is better I think.

I definitely wouldn't swap the Startrite for the Charnwood.

I think I’ll try at some point it’s lazy I know but I change from the sled to ripping so it’s a pain to disconnect every time
I know I’m going back but take the cast tops out of it what makes them £1000 difference

I think I’ll try at some point it’s lazy I know but I change from the sled to ripping so it’s a pain to disconnect every time
I know I’m going back but take the cast tops out of it what makes them £1000 difference
Is the problem removing the crown guard / dust extraction from the riving knife, when adding/removing the sled?

(You should always have a guard on the blade anyway, of course :) )

Depending upon how big the sled is, could you attach a dedicated crown guard to your sled, with dust extraction? Lots of images on google.

Back