Career change

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveohim

Reaction score
I'm looking to learn something new and am quite interested in carpentry, is it a good thing to get into? And how long does it take to be a qualified carpenter?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Steve

I hit 30 doing a job that paid extremely well but that I hated. So, I took stock of my life and decided to take a chance. Needless to say the Mrs went bananas and left (5k a month down and she wasn't at all impressed - I said 'if its good enough for Jesus it's good enough for me!') I had done a few property refurbs and liked them, so I went to college for 3 years (to start with), and did every course that was on offer (crammed 5 years of courses into 3) and did a short apprenticeship with a friend who has his own carpentry firm. I set out on my own 3 or 4 years ago and although it has been hard I am now doing well.
I have never regretted doing what I did, but it really was an eye opener how people reacted when the money ran out. I have now remarried and the mrs now is quite used to being skint! Which is good, cos we are! I am not sure I will ever be rich doing just the carpentry (and joinery - which is different, and another 2 year course, and electrickery, which was another 3 year course; just started doing Construction management degree level.). I work around studies. It is a juggling act.

Anyway, point is you must make your own mind up and be aware that it is a competetive game and you are a long way from earning good money when you first start. But you are close to enjoying what you do for a living!

Dip your toe in. See what you think. Education is never a waste.

Hope this helps you.

Neil

(homer)

(who did NVQ, C and G, CITB and Lord knows what else to get here, and is still a pauper.)

But a very well educated pauper :roll: I'd rather be happy and poor than rich and b.....y miserable because life is too short! Well done Neil.

Regards Keith

neilyweely":2b2g0heo said:
Steve

I hit 30 doing a job that paid extremely well but that I hated. So, I took stock of my life and decided to take a chance. Needless to say the Mrs went bananas and left (5k a month down and she wasn't at all impressed - I said 'if its good enough for Jesus it's good enough for me!') I had done a few property refurbs and liked them, so I went to college for 3 years (to start with), and did every course that was on offer (crammed 5 years of courses into 3) and did a short apprenticeship with a friend who has his own carpentry firm. I set out on my own 3 or 4 years ago and although it has been hard I am now doing well.
I have never regretted doing what I did, but it really was an eye opener how people reacted when the money ran out. I have now remarried and the mrs now is quite used to being skint! Which is good, cos we are! I am not sure I will ever be rich doing just the carpentry (and joinery - which is different, and another 2 year course, and electrickery, which was another 3 year course; just started doing Construction management degree level.). I work around studies. It is a juggling act.

Anyway, point is you must make your own mind up and be aware that it is a competetive game and you are a long way from earning good money when you first start. But you are close to enjoying what you do for a living!

Dip your toe in. See what you think. Education is never a waste.

Hope this helps you.

Neil

(homer)

(who did NVQ, C and G, CITB and Lord knows what else to get here, and is still a pauper.)
Hats off to you Neil for actually making the jump! I am in the same boat, but cannot muster up the courage to do it, but deep down I know I need too!

Eriba and Flan
Funny; I did all the courses at Bedford. When I first got there I was forever being asked "Sir, how do I......" as I was the same age as most of the tutors. It did get a little wearing, but in the end I guess I kind of embraced it (the college offered me a position as a tutor!) and helped where I could. The main thing, and the only reason I was able to do what I did is that because I was a mature student (oh yeah???) I was far more able to study properly (the other students were always talking about computer games and music etc) so the tutors did give me more time than was my share. I made a lot of progress, and finished, as I said, well ahead of schedule. This point being that, I think regardless of age, if you make it clear you are there to learn and absorb as much information as possible you will be a refreshing change to the norm :norm: and as such you will be helped more. I wouldn't have been able to behave that way at age 18, or even 25, but at the age I was when I started I was acutely aware my age was against me and as such I motored through.
However I did recently run into a lad who maintained the same progress as me, about, and his standard of work was also very good at college. I was shocked to hear he was working at Tesco. I guess what you do with it is as important as getting it in the first place.
My sister once went bananas at me, and called me a stupid s*it for explaining that we ate cheap meat and whatever so we could afford to buy a stock of locks, doors and the like. But boy did they pay back. Bought when available, as the tools and machinery were, from liquidations and auctions and set aside for when they were needed. I didn't buy when I needed them, I bought when they were ridiculously cheap. Bandsaw £80 (352), floor sander £60 etc etc. Never hired a thing. Last week I got one of those milwaukee wall saw gadgets for £26. One day I will need it, eh?
I guess I am lucky to have a mrs who allows me to do all this. Aahhh, she knows I love 'er........

I did do the sparkie course, which was SO different to the wood courses because with the wood it was fairly intuitive for me, but the electrickery required me to THINK! I found it very difficult to say the least. To start with I would say "Well, if these 16 year olds can do it, so can I.". It became apparent they could, and I couldn't. I got a distinction in the final the day after my Dad died. So I was distracted too. It worries me because I am qualified but I honestly do not understand even the basics. So I leave all that alone and make kitchens and stuff.

Anyways, Steve, wherabouts are you? Maybe you could go out with a friend, or visit a workshop and see it you really think it is for you. I think I knew fairly quick it was my bag. This forum helped; seeing some of the work done by the old hands here really inspired me. But I can't cut DT's by hand even now, after several winters practising. And I lusted after a workshop like some of this Parish's. It all takes time, but for me, Steve, it was well worth it. Now I worry about who I'm gonna leave it all to!!

Best wishes one and all. Gotta go to work now. Thats another thing; the hours I keep are hardly social. But atleast I choose 'em.

Neil

Steveohim":10yho236 said:
I'm looking to learn something new and am quite interested in carpentry, is it a good thing to get into? And how long does it take to be a qualified carpenter?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I don't really think there is any such thing as a "qualified carpenter". There are those that can do it and those that can't. Some can learn intuitively and some need formal instruction. Some formal instruction comes with certificates, some doesn't.

You need to have a go at something, be it small initially, with or without instruction\guidance. Then see how you fair and whether you 1. like it and 2nd whether you have an aptitude for it. A lack of aptitude can be made up to some degree with perseverance and determination.

My 2p worth

Dibs

Steveohim":3cwcg6tg said:

You need to be really clear on what type of work do you want to do. What things do you want to make? Doors? Windows? Stairs? Furniture? Do you want to instal them as well?

carpenter works on site
joiner works in workshop

i did a 3yr apprenticeship getting city and guilds nvq lvl 3 when i was 16 working both in the shop and on site with a joinery company.

i didnt really get much respect till i wan 21 as all the older guys had to do a 5yr apprenticeship.

my ideal job is always making something and going to fit it with the confidence to do both.

well worth doing properly tho, find a comapny then do day release at college one day a week.

dont be tempted into the full time courses at college ive not done one but i know being in a real workshop/on a real site is the way to a go.

Mark

pro-joiner":35p103il said:
carpenter works on site
joiner works in workshop

i did a 3yr apprenticeship getting city and guilds nvq lvl 3 when i was 16 working both in the shop and on site with a joinery company.

i didnt really get much respect till i wan 21 as all the older guys had to do a 5yr apprenticeship.

my ideal job is always making something and going to fit it with the confidence to do both.

well worth doing properly tho, find a comapny then do day release at college one day a week.

dont be tempted into the full time courses at college ive not done one but i know being in a real workshop/on a real site is the way to a go.

Mark

In Scotland the term Joiner fits all. To concentrate in the workshop making the items and milling etc, you were termed a Benchhand Joiner.

I do not know anyone now doing the trade how I learnt it. College is an alternative if learning on the job is not an opportunity.

Would I tell my son to follow me, well no I told them to find what they liked to do. Joinery is not the same since when I learnt in the 70's is it a good or bad thing. Well it is quicker and more mass produced. Like all things in this world money or cost seem to determine worth.

In all if you want to do it please follow your own goals in life.

Back