Can you make any Kitchen range recommendations please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
720's are very handy if you want to turn a unit around at the end of a run.

As these tend to be breakfast bars they have a nosing on both sides, this is only a problem if the nosing is rounded, unless you are using the full width and can tuck it under a vertical splash back, otherwise you may have to cut a strip off one side of the worktop.

Mike

Woodmonkey":25pay5a9 said:
The sideswipe is not at the traditional way, it's at people who think there is only one way.
There isn't a traditional way. They haven't been around long enough to become "traditional".

Traditional kitchen fitters warming up:

morris_dancers.jpg

Traditional kitchen I recently fitted:

CoshkibFarmhouse_KitchenInterior

Graham Orm":2zwi7qen said:
Howdens have always been my choice. I have a good relationship with my local branch which goes a long way. I was let down by Magnets the one time I tried them. It's a lot to do with the people running the branch that you use I think. I've fitted lots of Howdens stuff. All rigid and above average quality and excellent after sales....but this is possibly because I'm a regular.

I would imagine Ikea have a good after sales, I've fitted one base unit and sink of theirs, very different to what I was used to, with small outlet pipes from the sink.

When I was fitting kitchens regularly I would decline any jobs that specified flat pack. Pain in the arris.

Same for me with Howdens. Always found them great in my branch and their kitchens are decent for the money if you shop there regularly and get the best discounts.

Ditto on the flat packs, especially B&Q ones. Awful piles of junk and if i never fitted one again, it would be too soon.

Thanks for the replies, Cooke & Lewis have everything to hand, just pop it on the trolley, including flat pack units, Very tempting
The nearest Ikea is bristol, a 200, odd mile round trip, so very unlikely to think of that.
Magnet rep was talking order on a Tuesday for delivery next Tuesday, and when I pressed about was everything in stock, he mentioned "allocations", which put me off.
Trago, Sunny Devon's original bargain warehouse, at 60, odd miles away, have worktop and most stuff excepting any cabinets, and again a fair distance for any possible problem solving needed.
Howdens was full of customers, including some very attractive carpenters/fitter's, And I'm not one for queue's! are they trade only now?
May go back tomorrow.
Rodders

blackrodd":52kd0i32 said:
Thanks for the replies, Cooke & Lewis have everything to hand, just pop it on the trolley, including flat pack units, Very tempting
The nearest Ikea is bristol, a 200, odd mile round trip, so very unlikely to think of that.
Magnet rep was talking order on a Tuesday for delivery next Tuesday, and when I pressed about was everything in stock, he mentioned "allocations", which put me off.
Trago, Sunny Devon's original bargain warehouse, at 60, odd miles away, have worktop and most stuff excepting any cabinets, and again a fair distance for any possible problem solving needed.
Howdens was full of customers, including some very attractive carpenters/fitter's, And I'm not one for queue's! are they trade only now?
May go back tomorrow.
Rodders

Yes trade only. Easy enough to blag.

Rod - I thought Cooke and Lewis was just a brand name of B&Q? We had a C&L bathroom fitted because we were on a tight budget, and it suited. It did look nice, but the quality was non existent. It was a good one to move away from.

Just for clarity, the B&Q kitchen i fitted was a flat pack pack, off the shelf jobby, which has the monicker IT Kitchens and they are pretty crappy but cheap and i think they are on offer at the moment making them cheaper still. Also note that they are cheaper to customers with a trade card if you go through the trade section. When i fitted one for a customer, there were several damaged parts including the work tops. That was ok for the cabinets as a trip to the store was all that was needed to replace. The worktops however were ordered to be delivered to site and took weeks to be replaced, leaving the customer with a half finished kitchen for a while.

The Cook and Lewis ones i haven't had any experience of but i'm not sure if they are kept in stock and the delivery times would worry me if they aren't. The reason i like Howdens is because everything is ex stock and stuff can be changed or altered fairly easily.

Graham Orm":320ws7dw said:
blackrodd":320ws7dw said:
May go back tomorrow.
Rodders

They are "trade only" but the let anybody buy. The rumour is that it's to avoid sale of goods act.

Sale of goods act us defunct now. Replaced by consumer rights act. Goods still have to be of merchantable quality regardless of customer type and as end user is invariably retail I doubt the tactics work legally anyway. Credit card protections apply in any case irrespective of trade of retail, so if I am buying from anyone who worries me, I use credit card. If they seek a card surcharge I seek further equivalent discount or walk.

Thanks again for the replies,
I must agree with the Cooke & Lewis Quality Question, but as others have said at least it's all there instore and ready to collect.
Most of us have sad stories with kitchens and their fitting out,
Some time ago, The golf course gardener asked me to fit out his kitchen, He got it all from Magnet and including a 900x3.0 breakfast bar,After struggling with lifting the 900 top and scribing the wall end, as I walked up through, I found that the laminate had blown in the middle, area about 500mm odd in the middle, the fuss trying to get this changed over was unbelievable and it was almost as if someone believed I'd steamed the top off!
Then they wanted me to collect the replacement top, Not a good outlet at all.
I have to say Howdens were best a while ago, Quite probably still are.
When Jewsons supplied kitchens etc, There was always at least one cock up, but the staff were so helpful and tried to put things to rights,
made it easier to cope with.
Regards Rodders

Jacob":1hczqhla said:
Graham Orm":1hczqhla said:
blackrodd":1hczqhla said:
May go back tomorrow.
Rodders

They are "trade only" but the let anybody buy. The rumour is that it's to avoid sale of goods act.

Before now they've given my name to a member of the public who wasn't given prices, but told to contact one of their trade customers. I suppose some will slip through if that months sales figures are down.

Back