Can you make any Kitchen range recommendations please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackrodd

Established Member
Reaction score
In the past, I've gone for Howdens cabinets mostly as they're rigid.
Has anyone bought a kitchen lately? Any recommendations for Howdens, Cooke & Lewis, or Magnet at all?
TIA, Rodders

Rodders,

I've fitted a couple of Cooke & Lewis kitchens over the last 3 years. One for me and one for daughter.

Ours was pre-assembled and very rigid. Daughters was self assembly and once fixed into place you wouldn't know the difference. Generally very good quality but I haven't really got anything to compare against.

We're moving shortly so another kitchen in the offing :shock: but a recent look at the 'revised' C&L will make me think twice as I think they've started to cut more corners (different wall hanging brackets, cheaper shelf supports).

Unfortunately I've got a Tradepoint card so almost certainly they'll be far cheaper than anyone else which makes it a bit of a no brainer.

HTH

blackrodd":2wuygyx1 said:
Has anyone bought a kitchen lately? Any recommendations for Howdens, Cooke & Lewis, or Magnet at all?
TIA, Rodders
IKEA spot on. Much better service than Howdens and very good kit. No delusory "special offers".
For a cooker I'd go for induction hob - streets ahead of the alternatives and cheap to run.

Just a heads up Ikea units do not have a service space at the back, I bought from Lark and Larks, good units with solid 6mm backs not the usual hardboard, a couple of doors de-laminated a year later and without any fuss they where re-placed, will definitely use them in the future.

Mike

MikeJhn":784botzn said:
Just a heads up Ikea units do not have a service space at the back,...
This is a plus. Service space is a waste of space as only a bit of it ever gets used. It's no prob routing pipes and cables without a service space, in fact easier. It stays mostly out of sight behind drawers or on underside of tops etc.

Jacob":2p4b89gz said:
MikeJhn":2p4b89gz said:
This is a plus. Service space is a waste of space as only a bit of it ever gets used. It's no prob routing pipes and cables without a service space, in fact easier. It stays mostly out of sight behind drawers or on underside of tops etc.
Plus it's easier to spot if you've got a leak :lol:

Regards Keith

In "Life of Brian" they should also have included a haggle with an overzealous Howdens employee.

Magnet Trade or Ikea. It's dead easy to become a "Trade" member at Magnet, in fact, if you know someone who is, you both walk away with £25 a piece as a recommendation.

I hear bad things about B&Q gear on more kitcheny forums/groups.

Jacob":36iarj1e said:
MikeJhn":36iarj1e said:

Not fitted many Kitchens then

blackrodd":39xyf3ud said:
TIA, Rodders

I haven't fitted any for the past 6 years or so but when I did my experience was that Magnet were better quality than Howdens. I fitted an Ikea in our last houses utility room and didn't like the pipes within the units all those holes were just mice runs and messy.

Cheers Peter

A friend has fitted benchmarx ones and he was very impressed by the quality.

Howdens have always been my choice. I have a good relationship with my local branch which goes a long way. I was let down by Magnets the one time I tried them. It's a lot to do with the people running the branch that you use I think. I've fitted lots of Howdens stuff. All rigid and above average quality and excellent after sales....but this is possibly because I'm a regular.

I would imagine Ikea have a good after sales, I've fitted one base unit and sink of theirs, very different to what I was used to, with small outlet pipes from the sink.

When I was fitting kitchens regularly I would decline any jobs that specified flat pack. Pain in the arris.

If it is for yourself I guess fitting is only part of the issue and not the main one.

I have a friend with a three year old Howdens kitchen and he says it has not worn well at all, to the extent that if he had he money he would want it replaced. Meanwhile we have a ten year old Schrieber kitchen in one of our buy-to-lets and despite years of abuse by tenants who do not look after it like it is their own it is still rock solid (worktops replaced after hot pans left on them). Meanwhile we have a two year old Ikea in our utility room, no problems at all - in fact it is wearing a bit better than the considerably more expensive German jobbie in our kitchen.

Terry.

Ive just installed am ikea kitchen for myself and have been impressed with both quality and ease of installation. Got my plumber to reroute the water and gas pipes running around on the floor under the units before i started so no need to have any pipes running through cupboards, and of course then your cupboards are that bit bigger without that service void. As its been said i can only see how this would be a problem for someone who only can do it one way and is not open to change. Easy enough to hang the cupboards from some batten if you are desperate for the void.

Why the side swipe at people who want to do it the traditional way, really not necessary.

Mike

The sideswipe is not at the traditional way, it's at people who think there is only one way.

Back