Can I add anything to the floor before new carpet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamiePattison

Established Member
Reaction score
We're changing our carpets and I wonder even though we are purchasing the underlay and carpet is there anything else I could apply on the floor to keep the rooms warm in winter and maybe too much heat out in the summer?

Anything worthwhile I could add?

What's the floor made of? - if suspended timber then insulation underneath would make a difference (see Gosforth Handyman on YT for stuff about this) but a major-ish task . . . if concrete then probably not.

We're changing our carpets and I wonder even though we are purchasing the underlay and carpet is there anything else I could apply on the floor to keep the rooms warm in winter and maybe too much heat out in the summer?

Anything worthwhile I could add?
Might help if we knew what type of floor you are covering.
Timber ?
Concrete ?
Stone ?
The answers you will get will depend on the quality of the question you ask

i bought my house from a carpet fitter. when i had occasion to lift the carpets i found beneath the underlay thick paper (like cartridge/artists' watercolour paper only thinner) it seems to have been very effective at keeping out draughts and to have outlasted the underlay.

i bought my house from a carpet fitter. when i had occasion to lift the carpets i found beneath the underlay thick paper (like cartridge/artists' watercolour paper only thinner) it seems to have been very effective at keeping out draughts and to have outlasted the underlay.
Welcome to the forum.

I have seen newspaper under the carpet underlay in my house. Whilst it would cut down the drafts it would not support the carpet as @Phil Pascoe points out.

Back