Can anyone recommend some concealed / floating shelf brackets?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have some 45mm solid ash, span about 1m, and projects 300mm from the wall. Is there any decent quality concealed brackets you'd recommend?

Thanks

I'd be tempted by some 18mm threaded rod epoxied into the ash and resined the wall?
A mtr length cut into three should do it?

i'd be worried of getting the threaded rob absolutely horizontal and level

That's one of the advantages of the brackets that I linked to.....Its adjustable up/down and the inclination of the pin.
Be aware though of the weight of your Ash shelf....🤔🤔
These brackets are the right thing for the job - I have used them for various things (from Hafele). You need to cut out a little housing for the main bracket part and otherwise a reasonably accurate 12mm hole (you can knock up a jig if you don’t have a suitable drill guide).

The inclination adjustment is easy with a spanner on two flats on the pin - one thing I found was that I didn’t have a slim enough spanner to fit these flats so made one out of some steel bar.

Cheers

These are the type that I use......Suitable up to a maximum of 300mm deep shelf.
On a shelf the size you mentioned, I would use at least 3.....45MM solid Ash is quite heavy!

https://www.sdslondon.co.uk/concealed-floating-shelf-bracket-length-112-mm-diameter-12-mm.html

I got some of these specific ones. I don’t see any flats on them though. There’s a light knurling at the rod base but it doesn’t turn. There’s a plastic type of cam on the base which I guess
Is for adjustment along with two set screws. How are these best installed? I guess I need to glue the rods in too as I can’t see what stops the shelf coming horizontally off the wall

Just ensure you make the hole for the long pin a nice snug fit.....Who's likely to be pulling the shelf off anyway..?
If you are concerned about someone doing that (...???...), just put some adhesive in the pin holes before you slide the shelf into position.
I have never felt the need to use any adhesive on any of my own shelves.

Snug fit for the holes is enough rather than glue. When I do these floating shelves I actually drill a series of holes in the back when doing the holes for the pins. Something like 20mm holes every 50mm on centre at 2/3rds the depth of the shelf. This helps keep the weight of the wood down without compromising the strength or loom of the shelf.
Threaded rod in resin works but well too but can be tricky to get right.

I got some of these specific ones. I don’t see any flats on them though. There’s a light knurling at the rod base but it doesn’t turn. There’s a plastic type of cam on the base which I guess
Is for adjustment along with two set screws. How are these best installed? I guess I need to glue the rods in too as I can’t see what stops the shelf coming horizontally off the wall
These are the Hafele ones I have used successfully - you can see all the details Concealed Shelf Support, for Installation into Woodwork or Masonry Walls - Häfele U.K. Shop

There is no risk of the shelf slipping off these brackets - assuming you have a reasonably snug fit - more likely you have to gently lever it away from the wall to remove it. You wouldn’t want to glue it in as you could never remove it then.

Cheers

I have these supporting USS Constitution in it's case (43"x30"H x 18" D) of sapele & acrylic, I don't know he weight but is 'quite heavy'. The brackets are 20mm² steel tube 400mm lg. with 50 x 80mm mounting plates, 4 x 6mm holes. I used 2 M6 rawl bolts per bracket. If I remember correctly they came from China via the 'Big River'.

Attachments

• IMG_5152.JPG
    IMG_5152.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5151.JPG
    IMG_5151.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
Well I tried those Hafele brackets today. It didn’t go well. Not solid and a lot of play/ flex in the shelf vertically. So much so that the screws / rawl plugs were working loose from the wall

I'm a bit confused Prizen....You say it's not solid and flexes?...With all due respect, what did you expect ?
A 10000mm wide x 300mm deep x 45mm thick shelf has a lot of weight & mass. The leverage from front to back is high, so if you wiggle them, of course there is likely to be movement.....The pins are only 104mm long! This type of bracket is not designed for you to be able to hang off the shelf and why would you or anyone else want to wiggle it about?

How many of the brackets did you use on this shelf?
Just how snug was the fit of the brackets in the holes you drilled? ( I make mine so that I have to use a mallet to knock the shelf into position against the wall).

Did you make sure you have tensioned the pin against the stop? ( If the pin is inclined slightly upwards before you slide the shelf into position, this will help to compensate for the natural sag due to the weight of the shelf itself)

Last edited:
i'd be worried of getting the threaded rob absolutely horizontal and level
When I did a similar job for my daughter I carefully made a jig to ensure the correct pin spacing and to help getting the pins horizontal and level. Ended up with the right spacing but all the pins sloped downwards! What to do? I ended up using the BF&I method i.e. a big hammer and tapped them up to horizontal again. It's still there some 10 years later.
Have fun.
Martin

I'm a bit confused Prizen....You say it's not solid and flexes?...With all due respect, what did you expect ?
A 10000mm wide x 300mm deep x 45mm thick shelf has a lot of weight & mass. The leverage from front to back is high, so if you wiggle them, of course there is likely to be movement.....The pins are only 104mm long! This type of bracket is not designed for you to be able to hang off the shelf and why would you or anyone else want to wiggle it about?

How many of the brackets did you use on this shelf?
Just how snug was the fit of the brackets in the holes you drilled? ( I make mine so that I have to use a mallet to knock the shelf into position against the wall).

Did you make sure you have tensioned the pin against the stop? ( If the pin is inclined slightly upwards before you slide the shelf into position, this will help to compensate for the natural sag due to the weight of the shelf itself)
I expected something more “solid” especially given the published load ratings

Back