Can anyone Identify this wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John. B

Established Member
Reaction score
It's not very big, 53mm x 54mm x 370mm long. It's heavy!
It weighs 1.180kg It's also quite dense.

DSC_2447-1.jpg

DSC_2450-1.jpg

DSC_2449-1.jpg

DSC_2448-1.jpg

John. B

Hmmmm. OK. I'm willing to make a fool of myself...

The contrast between heartwood and sapwood is like European yew.

Looks like Azobe from the heartwood but I'm no expert on exotics.Azobe is extremely dense and lasts forever outdoors.
Cheers John

Does anyone think this could be Iroko?

The problem is I've had this for years & years, just can't remember when I first got it. :?

John. B

Looks like Greenheart to me but then there are about 30 0r 40,000 different choices so I could be mistaken - Rob

Save cutting it up, it will sink. if you work out the volume it has an SG of 1.135 so is heavier than water.

Possible African Blackwood or maybe Ironwood

Jason

Philly":kaj36zzb said:
Its Ovangkol, also known as Amazaque. Lots of sapwood, there!
Philly :D

Nice guess/spot. I have a little internal brain-money on my "extension joinery" being at least in part ovangkol, and it shares most of the characteristics. (Like sap ducts, and the dark stripes (in the heartwood, natch).

I've no idea about the sap wood, but there is something about the heartwood that makes me think it might be box. The common box is also renowned as being very dense.

Mike

...........but Philly does sound very sure.......!!!!

Ovangkol is a good call. My first thought was Bubinga. How does it smell (this should be interesting: describe a smell :lol: :wink: )

Richard

I vote Cocabolo....red ,orange,black,brown all in there....Yep Cocabolo!
No Wiz it is not Sycamore...that is a blond wood with fish scales inside....If you ever want to carve a fish the scales are already there for you...

A fascinating collection of answers here,
I tried the floating test. It sank immediately. :shock:
So the specific gravity is more than 1.0 That lets out:
Wenge............. .88
European Yew.. .67
Teak =............. .59
Ovangkol =...... .80
Bubinga =........ .88
Iroko =............ .65

Possible:
Cocabolo........ 1.10
Azobe......... 95 - 1.15
Walnut, average...1.3
Greenheart..........1.03

John. B

Sorry guys, didn't mean to sound too confident :lol:
I've just cut up a huge three inch log of sad timber and there are pieces sat around the 'shop staring at me. The end grain, sapwood and the white marks that appear in the pores all match the stuff I've got.
If its any help, Ovangkol smells like farmyard when you machine it.
Cheers

I think its amazing how so many different people have so many idea what wood it may be, I have not a clue, but I have a really good book that helps me identify pretty much anything, although it takes me a couple of days resarching it and cutting it up etc. I'd be willing to bet £20 its not iroko though!

Philly":1ew1jglv said:
Sorry guys, didn't mean to sound too confident :lol:
I've just cut up a huge three inch log of sad timber and there are pieces sat around the 'shop staring at me. The end grain, sapwood and the white marks that appear in the pores all match the stuff I've got.
If its any help, Ovangkol smells like farmyard when you machine it.
Cheers

Interesting. Is it very hard, quite splintery, and a little greasy-feeling? Planes up pretty much to a gloss almost as if it is finished (before it is)?

Oh, and is the dust really quite sneezy?

Back