Calling any Startrite 275 TS owners - Advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've finally acquired a decent table saw, a Startrite 275 and have a few questions for anyone familiar with it.

1. It was originally a 3-Phase model but at some point been fitted with a rather weak 0.55Kw (3/4HP?) single phase motor. I will be fitting a bigger motor but i'm not sure that the pulleys fitted are original. It has a 100mm double V pulley on the bottom and a 60mm Pulley on the top. The current motor is 1425 RPM, is that right? or should I be looking for a 4-pole motor?

At the moment the bottom pulley fouls the door with the blade set low, I can hopefully shorten the belts a bit but it still seems a little large.

What's the ideal RPM for a modern TCT saw blade?

4148467060_752f99b627.jpg

2. Are all of the fastenings BSF? They are definitely not metric and the saw has an imperial scale. I think it's probably 25+ years old at least. I need to find some new CS screws for the top and side of the fence, the mitre gauge, and the blade plate adjustment screws in the corner of the opening (see pic)

4148447016_305d1ccf53.jpg

3. I've found the adjustment for the max depth but am wondering if there are any other adjustments? There's a ring with a grub screw on the tilt handle, is that my 90 degree stop adjustment?

If anyone had a scan of the manual it would be a great help.

Can anyone shed any light?

Tommy.

Hi Tommy,

Have you tried contacting Startrite directly, on the off-chance that they may be able to supply a manual? A quick forum search reveals recommendations for Daltons and DB Keighley, otherwise.

I meant to say last week - there is a formula I was taught I was taught for calculating the maximum blade diameter and RPM...

(PS) Peripheral Speed = Pi x D x RPS

So, to get the RPS, I think it goes something like this...

RPS = PS x ╥ / D

(That should be PS x ╥ over the D). I haven't done this for four-years but, I think that's how it works...! And, if I remember correctly, PS is measured in metres per second...?

Hope this helps. I'll try and have a look through my old college notes some time, just to make sure.

It's still under-powered. You can cut 3in. deep on a 1500w/2hp motor. If you wanted to cut 4in. regularly though (?), you would be better off with a 2200w/3hp. But, if you're only running this from a 13amp supply, you may have trouble running an extractor or other things at the same time... Unless you could fit a 16amp supply?

I've been eyeing up Startrites meself. Interested to see how you get on with it.

tommy":uvcza5tb said:
Hello All,

I've finally acquired a decent table saw, a Startrite 275 and have a few questions for anyone familiar with it.

1. It was originally a 3-Phase model but at some point been fitted with a rather weak 0.55Kw (3/4HP?) single phase motor. I will be fitting a bigger motor but i'm not sure that the pulleys fitted are original. It has a 100mm double V pulley on the bottom and a 60mm Pulley on the top. The current motor is 1425 RPM, is that right? or should I be looking for a 4-pole motor?

Tommy.

4 pole motor runs at 1425rpm. You almost certainly need 2 pole and about 3 horses or 2.2kW.

I've got one here I'm not using. £50 collected

Bob

Hi Bob, if Tommy doesn`t want the motor I will definitly take it off your
hands, I have the same saw awaiting conversion so I can use it

Hi Tommy,
I have the same saw, no manual either, but can check length of belts tomorrow night when I get home, HTH :D

chill":qb7udcou said:
Hi Bob, if Tommy doesn't want the motor I will definitly take it off your
hands, I have the same saw awaiting conversion so I can use it

OK Chris,

I'll give Tommy a reasonable time to reply and if he does not want it, then I'll give you a shout.

Bob

Alt Saws and Spare have been helpful but they're not that cheap, I just gave him £22 for a riving knife but declined the offer of a manual for another £13. The riving knife on the saw seemed to be made out of some sort of specially flattened play-doh, it was a little on the soft side!

Thanks for the offer Bob, but i've got a motor on it's way. I'd rather a 2.2kW like you advise, or maybe even 3kW+ on a 16A socket but it'll get me up and running for now, and it was nice and cheap too. I just hope it wasn't stored in the puddle that it was photographed in. So 4 pole is 2850, and 2 pole is 1425rpm. I'm still intrigued to know what it would of had originally? Anyone?

I've found the BSW bolts for the side of the fence but i've given up on the ones in the bed; I'm going to drill the out and tap the ay M5 or M6, much easier!

Wizer - The saw is really nice, the rip fence is especially good, it get my recommendation.

tommy":3618s40w said:
So 4 pole is 2850, and 2 pole is 1425rpm.

No no no no no no !

2 pole is 2850 and 4 pole is 1425

The motor you have bought is another 4 pole. You will need to put a bigger pulley on it to get the blade up to a decent speed. It will still work but you will have to feed the work slower to get a good finish.
Bob

tommy":3l2jfxbr said:
I just gave him £22 for a riving knife but declined the offer of a manual for another £13.

Bloody hell, I assumed you were going to make one instead! :shock:

Glad to hear you've got a motor on the way. That'll be fine, power-wise, provided you're not looking to cut 4in. thick timber all day long!

Have you started looking for a blade yet? You probably already know this (well, Gary would say you should! :wink:) but, the riving knife needs to be thicker than the flat 'plate' of the saw blade and also thinner than the overall kerf (so it allows the wood to pass).

Freud (Toolstation, etc.), CMT (Axminster) and Atkinson Walker blades (Workshop Heaven) will get most recommendations on here. Axminster's own brand (Axcalibur) aren't too bad considering the price. They also sell bore reducing bushes, should you want to fit a blade with a 30mm bore on to a narrow shaft. 20t is probably about right for general ripping of solid wood. 40t+ for MDF and sheet materials, depending on whether it's veneered or not.

Latest posts

Back