calling all scheppach hms 2600ci planer owners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escudo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
What ho all,

My new planer arrived yesterday (yippee) :D , been reading the instructions (all 6 pages, very poor really) and have a few queries;

- The lever attached to the arm of the blade guard locks with a movement upwards...is this correct as all the pictures I have seen seem to show this lever in a downward position? I wonder if this has been assembled incorrectly at the shop?

- what is the purpose of the knob on the top of this arm?

- Does anyone use their machine with a wheel base? If so what type and is this stable enough.

- my workshop is not heated - should I treat the table with anything to prevent rust?

- Any other tips / advice regarding this machine would be very helpful.

Its all jolly exciting a new toy for the christmas hols.....thankyou santa.

Hi Escudo,

So christmas has come early. :D

I can't comment on your machine as I have a different planer thicknesser, but general things.

I have most of my machines on some sort of wheeled base, they all have their normal resting place but I move them to allow longer bits of timber to be machined when required. All of my machine tables are treated with Liberon lubricating wax, the thicknessing table I find needs this or the powerfeed when machining wide timber will struggle, your may be better but I figure give the machine every help you can. The wax also inhibits rust which is a good side effect. 8)

Escudo,

My new HMS2600ci was delivered 10 days ago but I still haven't used it. :(

I agree about the instructions! My problems began with getting the machine onto its base. Happily, that's now resolved.

Finally, yesterday I had some time and hoped to try the machine but the startup current blew out the 13 amp fuse. Looks like I'll need a 16amp supply. Damn !

Phil

the startup current blew out the 13 amp fuse

As long as your circuit breaker isn't rated too high and you are desperate to try your new toy, you could replace the fuse with a piece of 6 inch nail - but only for a try out. I'm not condoning it as a permanent fix, but I have used this in the past to keep a 160A MIG welder working but only as as a get me by!

I will stress this is only safe as long as you have suitable overcurrent protection at the consumer unit.

cheers,

Ike

I have to admit, my HMS260 got wired through a 13 amp plug "to try", and, as it worked, I continued to run it on that ever since. I don't think removing any fuses is too smart - 16 vs 13 is only a small difference, and unless the supply has a 16amp breaker, in the event of something being wrong, you are taking a risk.

Ada,

I've had my 2600 for 6 months now, I guess I got one of the first on the market. The knob on the top of the guard arm adjusts the height it can rise off the table so you can pass material over the blades but under the guard. The locking lever does lock in the upward direction.

It works fine for me through a 13amp supply. I have had one problem with it. Much of the gearing that drives the thicknesser feed rollers is plastic. About 2 weeks in to using it, for hobby purposes, the teeth on one of the cogs got shredded when I was taking about a millimetre off of a 150mm wide oak board. I was very disappointed. I looked in to replacing them with metal gears, but in the end the shop I bought it from (The Toolshop/Jaymac, Derby) got me a new set in about 3 days. They said that when they'd spoken with NMA, I wasn't the first with this problem. One to be aware of. However, the replacement set have been fine and have now been in use for 6 months.

I've seen other members mulling over how to get the machine on its base. My solution, which was probably a bit risky, but I was on my jack, was to lay it on its back, bolt the legs to the base and then stand the whole thing back up (bending at the knees!).

My 'shop is unheated, except when I'm in it, but very dry, so I've had no issue with rust. Overall I'm chuffed with it, lovely finish when the blades are sharp, no snipe at all, good value I think and a machine I'd recommend, although it's my first P/T, so I have nothing to judge it against.

Jim

Thanks for the messages shipmates.

I also have a problem with the base. I noticed that one of the bolts was missing that attached the planer to its stand. It's a bit wobbly.

The supplier in Norwich is sending another but I will need help to dismantle the machine to correct this problem. Its jolly heavy.

I haven't used the machine yet as it did not come with a power cable :eek:
I will need to find an electrician to set up the two pin plug and ensure that the power to my shed is sufficient judging by some of the issues raised.

I am not messing with electrics after the last time I nearly killed myself and caused all the power to go in the house.

It's all a bit frustrating. Esc.

I have had the Scheppac planner thichnesser for over two years
I have it mounted on a wheel base two wheels at the front and one at the back..the machine just stands in the frame work moving round the shop it easy with care ,,once its in position and dropped no problems
on any size of wood

If I get a digital camera for xmas I will post some photo's
All my machines are on movable frames,,,,Dewalt saw, large router table
Regarsd
David Nevin

Dave, I hope you get that digital camera from santa.

I am interested in the make and design of your mobile base. Is it a home made job or manufactured unit?

I have the jet base for my bandsaw and its not that good to be honest. It makes the footprint of the machine bigger, and is a bit wobbly at times. I think it would work better with a heavier item.

The best wheelie base design I saw was on a hammer/felder machine. Two wheels at the rear which only came in touch with the floor when a front wheel on a stick/handling pole was inserted and lifted. Very effective and simple.

Hi All,

I am really tempted to get myself an HMS2600CI, even after reading about all the grief of attaching the base. At least it's something I will only have to battle with once!

I know this is a really dumb question but I need to know if this machine will fit through a standard width doorway (735mm) when delivered new and in it's packaging ?

My workshop is a converted garage that the previous owner used as an office which is great as it's heated but not so great as the door is just a standard front doorway.

Thanks !
Mat

What ho Kingswood,

Welcome to the forum.

I think you will have no trouble getting the planner through your door, my shed door is a standard width. I will throw a tape on it tomorrow to check the width and advise.

You will need a mate to help you lift the machine as it is jolly heavy.

Cheers,
Esc.

Hi Mat

Welcome to the forum.

If you want to find out about size, including packaging, why not contact NMA the importers.

The web site is here and their telephone number is 01484 400488.

Cheers
Neil

Thanks Guys and thanks for the welcome too :D

I will give NMA a ring and see what they have to say.

I am also interested in whether the delivery guys will bring it into the workshop, I am not keen on them leaving it on the driveway until I get home from work !

Cheers,
Mat

Mat - I wouldn't risk it - when my Scheppach TS2500 was delivered, it came on a pallet. The lorry had a tail-lift truck, pallet trolley and just the driver to get it inside. He told me that they were not obliged to unpack anything to get it inside, but he helped me anyway (and I slipped him a fiver afterwards for his trouble).

Anyway, the box with the main unit in was blinking heavy, even with two of us - my wife wouldn't have managed it. If I were you I'd get a confirmed delivery date from them and take the day off work to "receive it".

Cheers,
Martin.

Latest posts

Back