Cabinet Scraper - Axminster Rider Blade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

city17

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have any recent experience with the Axminster Rider cabinet scraper? It seems like a good tool for the money, but according to Paul Sellers (and also some of his readers) the blade is at the wrong angle.

1633350765799.png

Was wondering if anyone has purchased it recently and knows if they've fixed the wrong blade angle?

Paul Seller's solution was to buy a Veritas replacement blade, but adding that to the costs + shipping comes rather close to the Veritas one, and I'd just buy that one instead (although it is out of stock everywhere at the moment). So was wondering if they might have fixed the blade on the Rider cabinet scraper.

Just buy it if its wrong angle just put your own 45 degree angle on it 5 minutes on grinder then file and form your hook with burnisher or look out for an old stanley 80

Can you post a picture of the blade you got and the edge it came with?
The picture is from Paul Seller's post (link here). I don't actually own it myself yet.

@rob1693 I unfortunately don't have a bench grinder, and doing a full resharpening manually doesn't sound too appealing, which made me a bit hesitant buying this scraper.

The Axminster site claims the blade is hardened to 63 Rockwell, that's very hard. You may want to stay clear of that model, they may not know what they're doing.

The steel in these blades is not that hard hence you can file it a single cut file wouldn't take that much longer than grinder I just assumed most shops have one and I'd use mine cos I've got one 😉, the edge also doesn't last long in use the hook wears away very quickly so you will be doing a lot of filing and burnishing anyway

Last edited:
The steel in these blades is not that hard hence you can file it a single cut file wouldn't take that much longer than grinder I just assumed most shops have one and I'd use mine cos I've got one 😉, the edge also doesn't last long in use the hook wears away very quickly so you will be doing a lot of filing and burnishing anyway
There's another problem with the blade, with it having two alloys, one very hard and one very soft, which make it very hard to sharpen, according to the linked Paul Sellers post.

But have to admit I'm not sure I 100% understand his explanation, and it might be actually sharpenable with diamond stones (which I do have).

20211004_183550.jpg
You can cut a 1mm thick card scraper down to right size and they work well have one in my early USA stanley 80 which had a blade in just over an inch wide when I got it

Latest posts

Back