Buying a workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkus88

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy a workshop from either online or from around bristol? I have looked online but it comes up with places like argos and tescos and I'm sceptical about the quality.

Thanks
Mark

THere is a place in Hannam high street that make all sizes of sheds,they should sort you out.

Have a look at http://www.elbecgardenbuildings.co.uk/index.aspx

I have just purchased one of their Mammoth workshop sheds, no doubt about the quality it has solid 3x2 framing and plenty of bracing. I went for the loglap rather than shiplap. All of the timber is the finished size quoted, rather than the nominal sizes that lots of places advertise which ends up with a shed made of matchwood and balsa :shock: . Doors and windows are morticed and tenon and pre-fitted and it is heavy as the delivery driver and I can testify :lol: I am just working on its base and will assemble as soon as I can, if you are interested I will let you know how it goes together.

Other important points with buying, Elbec were quick to ring and confirm a mutually convenient delivery date, delivered when they said and got the driver to ring approx. 1 hour before arrival; the driver was very helpful about where I wanted to store the panels too. Sounds obvious but I have dealt with some rubbish companies before who could not even get the basics right, just wanted the money!

Simon

thanks for all the quick replies. Its to replace an shed thats falling apart which is 8'x11' but ideally I would use all the available space which would allow a sort of triangular shed 11'x14' which I realise I would need made to order and would probably be too expensive for me. What are peoples opinions on metal workshops or is wood definitely better?

sparkus88":1el9mc4o said:
What are peoples opinions on metal workshops or is wood definitely better?

In general I would say not. I have heard people suffering a lot of condensation in metal buildings and it is harder to fix stuff to the walls. If you were going to fully insulate and board the inside with 18mm board and damproof it should be fine though.

For my money, stick to wood.

sparkus88":3rzpmei7 said:

Forget metal sheds, nothing but problems. They're damp (condensation), they're cold, they're noisy, they're rusty, they're 'orrible

Just my opinion of course.

regards

Brian

sparkus88":11g1eqv9 said:
I've got an 8x10 metal shed, bought about 13 months ago. It's too small, the roof leaks, any sound made is amplified, it's full of holes and gaps which let in wildlife, it's absolutely freezing in winter (no insulation), condensation is a big problem, it's rusted, I can't fasten anything to the sides, it's not very secure, the sliding doors sound like a bass drum when they're opened or closed, and it's WHITE.

I HATE IT :evil: I want to make a bigger proper one out of wood and insulate it, then I wouldn't have any of these problems.

But... it was cheap (bought it from ebay for £180), and went up in a day. We got it to clear out our house after we renovated it, and had nowhere to put anything so needed a shed fast. It was built on an old concrete slab, right by the back of the house, with the intention of moving it to the bottom of the garden (about 120ft away from our's and the neighbours house) but we didn't get round to it.

I've persevered with it and tried to maximise the useful space by building a false wall to fix shelves etc to.

I would suggest you build one as large as you can yourself out of wood, and stay well clear of metal.

Here's a picture of it
Shed 1.JPG

Mark

Attachments

• Shed 1.JPG
    Shed 1.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 155
If you have a triangular plot how about buying a square workshop then building an extension to take account of the odd shape later and using it for storage or if it is large enough a separate hand tool or finishing space?

Mick

so thats a definite no to metal. I am going to get a couple of quotes for a custom built one but will probably have to get a standard size one, and use micks idea. Also I'm unsure about cladding, whats the best for keeping the water while lasting a long time? And insulation, I'm more concern about noise reduction than keeping warmth in, any suggestions?

^ haha :lol:

A triangular shed sounds like an intriguing idea! Isoceles or equilateral?

MickCheese":166lskvl said:
If you have a triangular plot how about buying a square workshop then building an extension to take account of the odd shape later and using it for storage or if it is large enough a separate hand tool or finishing space?
Maybe just get a big square one for yourself, and a smaller one for all the unimportant stuff like barbecues, spades, plant pots etc.?

My mate has a metal shed and I agree with everyone's comments about them. He did acquire it for free though, so it was good value. ;)

Back