Buying a new random orbital sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stix

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new ROS. The two I'm looking at are the Bosch GEX 150AC and the Metabo SXE 450 duo.

I've searched through the posts and found quite a bit of info on the Metabo but not much really on the Bosch.

Is there much to choose between the two I've listed and are there any others I should be looking at around the £150 price mark.

Cheers
Steve

I used to have a bosch ROS, but the motor burnt out about 4 weeks after I got it.

I replaced it with th £19 Clarke jobbie from machine mart. It is fantastic. It is just as good as a £150 ROS.

I wouldn't waste your money mate. Get the clarke.

Slimjim81":2s8m9f1v said:
I used to have a bosch ROS, but the motor burnt out about 4 weeks after I got it.

I replaced it with th £19 Clarke jobbie from machine mart. It is fantastic. It is just as good as a £150 ROS.

I wouldn't waste your money mate. Get the clarke.

I bought a £24 ROS from B&Q on a half price deal for £12 - outrageous - a year or so ago. I have seen them in there on and off over the months and quite recently. It is outstanding, takes loads of abuse, the dust extractor port plugs straight into a regular vac hose and works really well. No complaints at all.

Like many others on this site, I can honestly say that the Metabo SXE450 is with EVERY PENNY!

Dual orbit, decent dust extraction in to the bag, it's comfortable to hold, perhaps a little heavy. But it leaves a superb finish - no swirls or anything.

A couple of months ago, Screwfix had a special offer on their site for a DeWalt ROS which appeared to be a clone of the Metabo (also cloned by Mafell). Haven't checked to see if it's still there though.

I have the Bosch GEX150.

It works fine, has had soem heavy use, and has not given me any problems at all. I would recommend it.

Maybe SlimJim's was a green Bosch? I would not touch any green Bosch kit.

Hi Steve

The Metabo is the one. It is absolutely excellent and wins every head to head test.

D&M have it for 140 inc. vat, delivery and fifty free disks.

Cheers
Neil

Thanks for the reply's.

I'm slowly replacing my B&Q power tools at the moment as each one dies. I've already replaced my combi drill and my router, my power plane burnt out last week and now my sander has developed a rather unhealthy sounding rattle and vibrates like mad. So with christmas on the way I thought it was time to upgrade to a better sander.

Oswaldo! - I can't find the DeWalt on screwfix website but I think I found the one you're on about on the D&M site. I do like DeWalt tools but, for the same price as the Metabo, this one doesn't have a carry case :(

Cheers
Steve

i have both a 125mm clarke (as mentioned above) and a 150 mm dewalt the clarke is superb and the 125 disks are easily available. it was £20. my dewalt has a body handle and variable speed. the tool is decent quality BUT the dust port is oval, the bag useless and the 150 disks expensive and difficult to find. it has a large orbit and works quickly and well it was £90 rework. the clarke is sturdily built with variable speed.

johnnyb":3cg15pjv said:
... 150 disks expensive and difficult to find.

Try CSM Abrasives. CSM sells Hermes discs. Excellent quality at reasonable prices.

Also, I just stocked up on 150mm discs for dirt cheap at LIDL. Ok, the Lidl ones aren't the best quality, and they are mixed packs, a third of which I'll never use. But at the price (£2.99 for 30 discs), they're not bad. Actually better than some I've tried.

Brad

Back