buttons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aramco

Established Member
Reaction score
hi again, I am on the look out for button patterns for the scroll saw, my wive has tins full of all sorts of buttons ,but is now wanting wooden ones, preferably animals but anything will do hopefully.

take care
John

Wow, that's a hard one John. Personally I don't of any button patterns specifically for scrolling, but suggest you do a Google for pictures of buttons, select those that your wife likes, download them into either a photo software (e.g. Photoshop) or a word processor (e.g. Word) then turn them into line patterns that you can print out for scrolling.

As a matter of interest, which wood species/es do you think is suitable for buttons?

hi never gave much thought to the type's of wood - typical fly by the seat of your pants job - I have some bits of Mozambican timber I got from stiles and bates, could try that , I have just chopped up an old chair that is oak for sticks for the fire , was not much use for anything else, kept the seat for future use, hope Sandra hasn't used them - shes a coal miners daughter anything goes in the fire - could salvage the rails for toggle buttons.

take care
John

Hi John, if I understand you right, you're looking for animal shaped buttons, if that's the case then google animal silhouettes. shrink them down to the size you need and drill either 4 or 2 holes in them. that's what I would do if asked.

My wife is a knitter/crocheter etc and asked if I could make some wooden buttons, just plain round ones

In my case I just used dowel for some, then drilled the holes

One thing I did find, is that drilling four holes equally spaced was not as easy as I had envisaged ;-)

Two holes are way easier and look fine

If I were to make some animal shapes, I would probably do it in 2" or slightly less wood, and then cut slices off before drilling

Back