Busy week making boxes!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Well, the last 6 weekday evenings and the intervening Saturday were busy.

Managed to produce the following - hope you like (at least some of them):

English Oak box, recycled from an old gate post, with Purpleheart top, bottom and removable dividers. The splines are also Purpleheart.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Beech ring box using beech recovered from old school desks. The top and inside are made form a lovely piece of pipped London plane (lacewood).
Reinforcing splines are English Sycamore.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Lovely figured Sapele sides with Sycamore legs. I wish I had more of this Sapele!! The removable dividers and upper tray are also Sycamore to tie in with the legs and hold it all together. This is my favourite of all of these boxes.

5.jpg

6.jpg

The last of the Bubinga I used to make my recent planes was used to make this box. My wife wanted me to experiment with using the same species for the legs, top and sides.
The removable dividers are Sycamore to add a little interest and contrast when opened.

7.jpg

8.jpg

I made 4 of these small Mahogany boxes with dovetailed sliding lids. Two of them have Zebrano let into the lids to add a bit of interest. Insides were machined using the Rat with 1/2" spiral cutter (milling cutter - circa £8 )

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Beech box made with wood from a recycled school table. I quite like the fine grain and speckles in Beech, but felt this one needed several splines to avoid it looking too boring. I am quite pleased with the shape of the splines with the curved path from top to bottom. The top is spalted Oak and the reinforcing splines are American Walnut.

12.jpg

13.jpg

Purpleheart sides really set this box off along with the sharp contrast from the Sycamore legs. Removable internal dividers are Sycamore.

14.jpg

15.jpg

This one used a fantastic (but small) picece of tiger striped Ash that I managed to pick up at Good Timber a couple of weeks back. The legs and top are made from Paduak, a beautiful wood that os HORRIBLE to work with. Everything is still orange!! :shock:

16.jpg

17.jpg

More of the English Oak that was recycled from an old gate post. This piece is so beautifully figured and there are so many colours in it that I decided not to reinforce with external splines, but to fit a loose tenon in the mitre (slots cut on Rat).
The top is a piece of spalted Oak, mitred to sit above the box. This one is my wife's favourite of them all :D

18.jpg

19.jpg

Once again, the recycled English oak was used with more of the spalted oak for the top which forms a raised panel on the lid. The mitres are reinforced with Paduak splines and the removable dividers are of the same oak as the sides.

20.jpg

21.jpg

A simple American Cherry box that has far more colours in it than can be conveyed in these simple photos. I reinforced the mitres with more Cherry to avoid drawing attention to them and away from the subtle colour variatios in the wood. The removable dividers are Cherry and the top is the final piece of the Spalted Oak I got from Bobscarle.

22.jpg

23.jpg

Some lovely boxes there!. I really like the beech ring box. A lot of excellence from a small amount of material

Some very nice stuff there, Tony, and some beautiful wood =D> =D> The only one I don't like is the first one - the feet seem a bit clunky and out of proportion, although it might look OK in real life.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

DomValente":2e0t1sdl said:
Great stuff Tony.

Well, the last 6 weekday evenings and the intervening Saturday were busy.

Do you have elves ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortuanately no. And not much sleep either :wink: :lol:

I made an oak box this week and it's bigger than yours, na, nan, na, nan, na. :lol: \:D/ It's to transport a rather expensive remote controlled model glider in. it's 40" x 11" x 2 3/4" the problem I had though was weight, so top and bottom is only 5mm thick and the sides 8mm with 5mm thick pieces to form a lip in the bottom for the lid to close on.

1292506227_12220341d0_o.jpg

1292504711_702cfe43a6_o.jpg

1292509483_f3a5984a55_o.jpg

It's made from salvaged floor boards about 100 years old. :D

PS... Love your spalted oak / beech box best Tony =D> \:D/

I have had the pleasure of seeing all of these up close, they are really nice.
Paul the photo of the first one does not do it justice.

Very productive week - and the figuring on the spalted oak is fantastic :D

Also nice to see so much recycled timber.

Andrew

Tony,

Very nice sir. I must try and find time to make a box, I need another for my cuff links, might just use one of your ideas here.

What beautiful work.

I hope you've got a box to keep them in, Tony ;) .

Gill

Wow, you on some kind of mission there Tony? Only 6 evenings? I reckon you have borrowed Fecn's celebrity helpers.. who did you have in their with you? I bet it was Scarlet Johannson, I've heard she has a great box - you've clearly been inspired by it!

Which reminds me, the oriental style boxes - are they based on a design from the book 'box making basics'? I seem to remember seeing something similar - I love the design!

Good work all round I say. Are these pieces gifts, or just to keep yourself busy? I ought to try my hand at some boxes to regain some Mojo..

Tony

Very nice boxes. I am pleased you were able to use the oak. Much better than anything I could have produced.

Bob

ByronBlack":3d1gun86 said:
Which reminds me, the oriental style boxes - are they based on a design from the book 'box making basics'? I seem to remember seeing something similar - I love the design!

Indeed they were inspired by something I saw a while back - I think it was in Fine Woodworking though. Got the Sapele one on my desk at work and it makes a great desktop oganiser :wink:

I want to make some more of these with tapered legs and am thinking of try9ing to make one with curves cut into the two outside faces of the legs to refelct the lower curve....

Been commisioned to make a HUGE one around 3 feet by 2f eet to store wools and cottons, so many compartments :D

A highly commendable output Tony, I have looked through them several times and find it difficult to put a finger to a preference, they all show really crisp edge detail and jointing, If I had to choose I think the Beech/ spalted Oak with Walnut Splines would be the one, but viewing them in the flesh so to speak could easily change that I have no doubt.

Tony, do you sell the items you make, and if you do, do you mind me asking (roughly) how mych each one of those will sell for?

I am interested in making some to sell...

Back