Building a vivarium

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkshire Sam

Established Member
Reaction score
My grandson has asked me to help him (grandson speak for can you do it grandad!) build a vivarium. He recently got a python for his birthday and has been wanting to build it a home that he can 'outfit'. Been looking around on various snake sites for ideas and was not surprised just how expensive they are to buy, but was surprised just how flimsy some of the do it yourself ones are. One design that I have been looking at actually had laminated hardboard for a back!

Anyway I am busy drawing up some plans from the various bits of information that I have gleaned and it occurred to me, knowing the wide variety of interests that people have on this site, whether anyone here had ever made one ( or something similar) and could offer some advice.

The eventual size will be around 4' x 2' x 2' with a glass front which I am told will be big enough for a few years. Any advice would be welcomed.

consider using all glass.
Humid conditions rot wood fast.
you cant paint it or stain it without risk of contamination. If its thin and starts to warp theres a risk the inmate might escape. Glass is also incredibly easy to keep clean.

Sheets of glass stuck together with sanitary silicone sealant is how almost all commercial vivariums are made.

My brother's tortoise winters in an old sliding glass fronted tv cabinet!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back