Building a Strike Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the past few weekends I have been busily building planes for the forthcoming Perth LN Tool Event. In past years I have demonstrated joint-making with handtools (OK, in the land of the blind ...). This year I shall be demonstrating plane building.

I thought it pertinent that I take along some new planes (some for demonstration and a few to sell). To this end I have so far completed 11 planes (it sounds grander than it really is - there are 5 router planes, 2 Krenov smoothers, and 3 Krenov block planes). I am just waiting on a few parts, plus have one more to complete (a solid body coffin smoother), and then I shall post pictures.

This is a solid body strike block plane. Why did I choose this particular plane to build? It is not as though I am low on planes for shooting. However I wanted one to dedicate to my ramped shooting board. Plus I enjoy using woodies, and my eventual plan is to fill a tool cabinet with planes I have made.

The strike block is a bevel down plane with a low cutting angle designed for shooting end grain. It is an alternative to a mitre plane, which achieves the same cutting angle from a bevel up orientation.

Were we discussing metal planes, there would be no question that the bevel up plane has the advantage of achieving a low cutting angle. Take for example both the Lee Valley and the Lie-Nielsen BU Jack. Built in strong and durable ductile iron, there is no difficulty in building in a 12-degree bed. Add a 25 degree bevel, and the result is a 37 degree cutting angle. This is great for planing end grain.

Wood is not a strong enough medium for low bevel planes. A 12-degree wooden bed is vulnerable. Building a 20 degree bed, while stronger, does not offer any advantage over a common angle (45 degree) bevel down plane. The strike block plane provides the low cutting angle by having a bed between 35 – 40 degrees.

Larry Williams (Old Street Tools) suggests that strike block planes fell out of favour in the 18th Century owing to the casual sharpening techniques of the day. His view is that it is imperative to maintain a clearance angle of a minimum of 10 degrees. Consequently, unless the bevel is maintained at about 25 degrees, a strike block plane may run out of clearance angle and stop cutting.

The plane build here is based on a bed of 38 degrees. This should provide the same performance as a low angle bevel up plane with a 12 degree bed. The overall dimensions are a 14” length (that comes from the Old Street version), with a 2 ½” wide x 2 1/8” high body. The blade is 2 1/8” wide, tapered and laminated high carbon steel.

I have used Jarrah for the strike block plane, mainly as it is a dense and heavy wood, and I have a good supply of dry, salvaged roofing trusses. The wedge is White Oak.

SB35_zps9d4c5867.jpg

SB36_zpsaca15c51.jpg

There is a steel strike button (more durable than wood) ...

SB37_zps0b2bf019.jpg

The underside shows the brass mouth ...

SB38_zpsd9e11ca1.jpg

A close up (because someone will ask anyway :) ) ...

SB39_zps25e41889.jpg

This is where it will work (although it will also be useful for cross flattening panels) ...

SB40_zpsa28eb187.jpg

And .. yes .. it works very nicely. Easy shavings in 1/2" Jarrah endgrain ...

SB41_zpsf8670f5b.jpg

There is a step-by-step record of the build on my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTo ... Plane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek - thanks for showing us your awesome work. I follow your site with great interest.

Hello,

That is a very nice plane. In some ways, the 'disaster' was actually an opportunity to make improvements! I think the parallel iron will prove a better investment in the time it took to grind to fit, as the mouth will remain nice and narrow throughout the life of the plane and the brass mouth will stop the sole wearing in this critical area; mitre planes can wear heavily here as end grain is tough on plane soles. Even with a ramped shooting board, the brass will pay dividends. Years ago, I made a Krenov style plane, on which I epoxied a full sole made from an old panel saw, which was not as elegant as your brass mouth, but worked well. Unfortunately, that got lost many workshop moves ago. I think you have inspired me to make myself a new one.

Thanks for the post,

Mike.

Hi Derek,
I like this plane very much!
=D>
Did not you think to a removable side handle?

Ciao
Giuliano

Hi Giuliano

Thanks. Your recent posting of your badger plane inspired me to get this one done.

Yes, I am thinking of a handle. Perhaps something that can be screwed on - it would be easy enough to tap a thread into the side.

The question is what to use - something in keeping with the style of the plane? It is only for the web of the hand, so can be small. Your thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yes, I am thinking of a handle. Perhaps something that can be screwed on - it would be easy enough to tap a thread into the side.

The question is what to use - something in keeping with the style of the plane? It is only for the web of the hand, so can be small. Your thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,
I would do a simple turned knob, like that of metal bench plane, fixed by a brass screw and the same wood as the plane body.

Ciao,
Giuliano

Strike block could be an anglisation of the Dutch "strijkblok". The Dutch plane making trade is a bit older then the English, so it is not unthinkable. Strijken is a Dutch verb meaning something like "making smooth" or "making flat". So it doesn't really sound like an endgrain plane, and it is not sure these planes were ultimately developed for the shooting board.

Here are pictures of an 18th century Dutch strijkblok.

strijkblok338cm_zps812bb4c7.jpg

strijkblok1_zps95ade4b9.jpg

In older Dutch, the word strijken means "making straight". Strike and straight do sound similar, but I am not an etymology expert, so I could be all wrong.

Corneel":2xftfr8f said:
In older Dutch, the word strijken means "making straight". Strike and straight do sound similar, but I am not an etymology expert, so I could be all wrong.
Sounds convincing! "Strike" in "strike plane" doesn't mean anything obvious in English.

phil.p":384p7513 said:
Maybe it's nothing deeper than the fact it's got a striking button?.....just a thought....

Potentially, as a lot of old planes have striking buttons, although - when setting-out - "striking a line" means to mark a straight line and - when planing - the final cut strikes/trues the finish surface to the line, so it could be a reference to that.

So "strike" refers to flattening (in Dutch) or striking a line (in English).
Next question - what is the meaning of "block"?

Jacob":3b5755qa said:
So "strike" refers to flattening (in Dutch) or striking a line (in English).
Next question - what is the meaning of "block"?

Block = A six sided shape with internal right angles and - typically - sharp arris where surfaces meet.

Possibly a reference to it's ability to plane an edge accurately to 90 deg.

Block is a piece of wood. Another word for a plane.

And indeed Gary, stricking a line is the exact same as the old Dutch verb strijken.

I thought block planes got their name from being designed to flatten butchers' blocks...

DTR":3t8yrly1 said:
I thought block planes got their name from being designed to flatten butchers' blocks...

Indeed they did, but I've a feeling the name of this plane type is derived from another source.

Corneel":3t8yrly1 said:
Block is a piece of wood. Another word for a plane.

And indeed Gary, striking a line is the exact same as the old Dutch verb strijken.

Block can also be applied to a section of stone, a street division, printing method and a few more things besides, but perhaps the origin is simply related to the striking button instead being named a striking block.

Yes of course, there are countless kinds of blocks. But in this context my feeling is, block means plane. Strike means straighten.

All wooden planes were often named Blokschaaf (block plane) in Dutch. So I am probably biased when I see the word block in context with planes.

Back