Building a router table - Questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterSk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm about to embark on building a router table, I've got a decent chunk of board for the top, some legs and a plan to mortice them all together to make a decent frame, so I've got the basics sorted.

What I'd like to know is how people are installing adjustable fences, I was thinking of just using some T-track and associated hardware, then installing two strips of T track along the front-back axis of the top for either side of the fence to run in.

Can anyone see a vast problem with this plan? Or come to that my general construction plan?

Thanks
Peter

I went for the cheaper option on mine by making an 'L' shaped fence out of MDF cutting slots in the face that sits on the table. I then drilled two holes in line with these slots and installed the spiked nuts on the underside. Two long bolts with handles and large washers go through the fence into the table top to secure the fence in position. Hope this is clear enough. :wink:

Im thinking about a router table also so some pics of any homemade ones would be nice thanks

There are lots of home made ones in this section. The one I made has no tracks on it, I've just made jigs to run along the fence. The fence locks by clamping it to the table.

PeterSk":3w2ht5m1 said:
Hi guys

I'm about to embark on building a router table, I've got a decent chunk of board for the top, some legs and a plan to mortice them all together to make a decent frame, so I've got the basics sorted.

What I'd like to know is how people are installing adjustable fences, I was thinking of just using some T-track and associated hardware, then installing two strips of T track along the front-back axis of the top for either side of the fence to run in.

Can anyone see a vast problem with this plan? Or come to that my general construction plan?

Thanks
Peter

Peter,

Have a look at https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... sc&start=0 for the one I built. I used T-track as you describe and it has always worked really well.

Cheers
Mike

If it is your first router table it is best to keep it simple until your experience tells you what you like & don't like....what's necessary & what is just nice to have. Mine is a homebuilt with self clamping fence c/w micro adjustment. Also I knew before I started that I did not like dicky-doo drawers so for bit storage I made a cabinet & fastened it to one end of the table with a piano hinge. It stores in under the table top overhang. When open I can see at a glance all of my bits. Dust collection is at the fence & under the table. A 3-1/2hp plunge router is used and I made a dust vacuum chamber which fits between the router motor & the base & is connected to the under table collection duct. Hope the pics turn out.

DustCollector.jpg
RouterTable-1.jpg
RouterBitStorage.jpg
[/img]

I mounted my fence in the same way as mailee. My advice would be to make your table as heavy as possible and hinge the top for easy access. Also think about extraction in the design phase.

How do you switch the router on and off?

Mine has a 2 button system requiring me to press both in order to start the damn thing.. Health and safety getting in the way again.

I have a Dewalt 615 router which has a rather sensible on/off slide switch, however I've got an NVR switch ready for installation whenever I get round to building the table, as sticking my hands in underneath seems like asking for trouble, especially when working with larger pieces.

The reason I think that T-Track is a good idea to mount the fence is that it will naturally keep the fence at right angles to the edges of the tables, making it easy to offset the fence if necessary. If I just use any other DIY style single point fix down system then each section of fence will be able to twist around that point which doesn't seem like a good idea

I'm also studiously trying to avoid blowing the savings from making the table myself on an Axminster router elevator...

I don't see the advantage of the parallel fence travel. It make it no easier to set up anything. In fact the ability to leave one side of the fence tight and loosen the other makes it much easier to make fine adjustments. You can do that too with a tracked fence as long as it's a sloppy fit. This is one of the few occasions where a lack of precision is an advantage.

Back