Budget Bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotstony

Reaction score
Im looking to purchase a bandsaw to cut/shape blanks for turning. I have no idea what minimum spec I need to look for.
Im guessing I want a 4 inch/100mm depth of cut but need to know what else is important.
Any sugestions would be greatfully received.
Max price? less than £200.

perhaps 2 inch/to 80mm comfortable cut depth is more realistic?

It depends on what your planning on cutting, the bandsaw I have cuts 300mm but I cut a lot of logs for bowl blanks. What you need to remember is if your going to cut a log in half to get a 4 inch bowl blank you need a cutting capacity minimum go 8 inch to enable you to cut it in half hope this helps

I was thinking that I will rough chainsaw logs down to size to fit throught he bandsaw, then just use the bandsaw to cut it to a circular blank. I never visualised putting a log through the bandsaw. A bandsaw with 8 inch cut is going to be way over budget.

I picked up one of these a few months back and it seems to be fine for home use.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOX-F28-186-B ... 2c6a49bc0d

I would not suggest it for heavy work but it has a cutting height of 153mm and if you install Tuff saw blades that everyone here seems to recommend then it will probably do for what you want. I have used mine for cutting logs up to 6" diameter and it copes really well.

wizard":wn10w536 said:
why do you want a circular blank

Im just new to turning, I guess its easier, less scary than turning an odd shape? all the blanks you see for sale are circular.

Having a circular blank is quicker, cuts down on stress on the lathe and means you have often usable bits of wood instead of piles of shaving left over. I did it the hard way for years but now use the bandsaw to rough shape bowl type blanks most of the time.

Pete

Bodrighy":wh879xxd said:
Having a circular blank is quicker, cuts down on stress on the lathe and means you have often usable bits of wood instead of piles of shaving left over. I did it the hard way for years but now use the bandsaw to rough shape bowl type blanks most of the time.

Pete

I knew there was a sensible reason, less scary doesn't really count.

I replaced my SIP with this £80.00 secondhand and i love it

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,305
True but it is still quicker and safer if you do. Turning a square into a round can put a lot of stress on whatever is holding the wood on for a start as well as the machine itself. If you can afford to get a reasonable bandsaw why put yourself through the tousle of not using it to make life easier. I went without one for a long time and took a lot longer to turn things round on the lathe. Also remember that a roughing gouge (which many use to do this) is on a tang which can get bent or snapped if you aren't careful.

Pete

Not a lot of use in helping in the selection of a bandsaw but I guarantee that whatever decision you make and whichever machine you are able to afford, that within a couple of weeks of playing with it and getting the pleasure of working with a good quality blade along will come a frustrating piece of wood that will want at least 10mm more depth of cut.

I have a 14" (wheel) machine which I have subsequently modified to add a couple of extra inches of cut depth and still it is never enough on occasions.

Do you have room for a bigger machine and have you thought of a second hand one to keep the price down, getting a bigger and more robust machine in the first place can improve the pleasure of use no end and avoid many of the tribulations of pushing a smaller lightweight machine to its limits.

I know that this is not a lot of help, but whatever size you buy you can be sure that the clearance will be half an inch too small at some point.

Hmmm Im going to have to thing about this, for now I will probably stick to buying ready made blanks. Thanks for the input.

scotstony":2mqbc2fg said:
Bodrighy":2mqbc2fg said:

Pete

I knew there was a sensible reason, less scary doesn't really count.

I'd advocate just cutting the corners off to create an octagonal blank rather than going the whole hog to make it round - there really isn't any need to go completely round and it'll keep your bandsaw blade cutting straight too. I'm not convinced that it saves much time either because unless your timber is perfectly dry when you cut the blank it'll not run perfectly true anyway when you come to turn it.

Jon

Back