BT broadband upgrades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one, Chiba - didn't realise that that was your spare time. :wink: :wink:

Yep, I reckon we'll never catch up with you over there! :oops:

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev - if you're off the beaten track, try to get a community wireless network? They seem to be cropping up in rural areas in the UK now. Basically you club together for the connection and a wireless "ISP in a box" type solution. For example, I think Digital Dales are doing this in North Yorkshire.

Thanks for that, Chiba. I will have a look at it. However, on my little 'patch' here we are all waiting in eager anticipation, having been told that broadband will be available to us in June this year. Fingers crossed, not too long to go now! :D

Cheers,

Trev.

Delighted to say that my Zen 2Mb broadband connection burst into life at the appointed date...even down a very, very long length of wet string.

Having used satellite broadband ...with all its' inherent limitations but better than ISDN :wink: ...being able to download and upload so darn fast is refreshing.

So much better that you figured you could spare the extra bandwidth for the whole 'Roger' instead of just 'r', eh? :lol:

Espedair Street, you can call me Horza Gobuchul instead if you like? Or The Ends of Invention if you prefer that one :wink:

Leaves others wondering just what on earth rs is on about :wink: :D

will sommeone please write in plain ENGLISH - you lot lost me after the 2nd post here :oops:
I need to get round to making a web site, with all this bandwidth talk and up/download speeds I really am in a dither.
God, just give me wood to butcher or restore and I am ok but this pc/web/download talk loses me in a trice. :oops:

Whjat are you guys doing that you actually *need* more than 512K and 30Gigs a month? :eek: I'm quite a heavy user and my wife runs her business from home and we hardly ever go beyond 3 to 4Gigs a month. I can only imagine that contention is a problem for you, or you're into gaming on the Internet?

FWIW my connection consistently runs at around 420K (I test it when I am bored) and we sometimes have wait up to a whole 4 or 5 seconds for pages to load. How terrible :wink:

Downloads of huge files takes time, but they don't lock up your computer -- you can still do other things while the 'post' arrives can't you, or are you a serial worker?

I often work from home and my email (notoriously slow and cumbersome Lotus Notes) runs faster on my wireless link and broadband connection than on the company 100MB network in the office! There are reasons for that, but who cares, really? A few seconds is nothing, not even enough to brew a cuppa as we used to be able to do when downloading some stuff 10 years ago. I miss the excuses...

Now try and convince me you really need a Pentium if all you're doing is writing letters and doing basic calculations. :p Oh, I forgot that Mega$oft makes sure that all current software requires at least a mega-giga processor and several terabytes of hard disk just to install...

Well, my upgrade is complete - does it make a difference? Certainly seems to - web pages loading very nicely indeed, thankyou very much.

Mind you, I have been out in India all week, struggling with a very frayed damp bit of string, so that could have something to do with the appearance of speed!

Just done the NTL upgrade (300k unlimited to 1Mb limited to 3GB). Works nicely - definitely quicker although I did try it latish last night so the contention would have been low anyway. I can't see the 3GB limit being a problem when they do enforce it - most of my browsing is from work... ;). If I end up needing to do lots from home I'll have to upgrade...

My feeble website is hosted on the NTL servers so any traffic to it (apart from home) doesn't count in the 3GB.

Pete

I just noticed that we have been upgraded - now running at 2.2Mb. Does it make any difference - not a lot, in fact I probably wouldn't have noticed except for the connected message.

We are heavy users of the internet and the between us download around 30 to 40 gb of films and music each month so are not happy about the comming caps, so I have written to BT asking when they will come into force so I can arrange to move my account to another supplier in good time. Still waiting for a reply....

Dennis

Back