Virgin Media Broadband Speed Upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doorframe

Established Member
Reaction score
We've been on 20meg for a few yrs now, as Virgin have been 'upgrading' us since we joined them at 1/2meg (when they were Telewest). Each time they've sent us a higher spec modem for the higher speed (I've got a drawer full of old ones to be dumped). We've had a few disagreements with them over that time regarding new customers getting better deals than existing customers (ie... ME!), and 'offers' on their website that are impossible to sign up for, but on the whole they have been an OK broadband supplier.

For at least 2 yrs now they have been promising the next upgrade, presumably to justify the ongoing price increases, but the 'roll-out' dates for our area kept getting put back further and further. I completely gave up on it ever happening. Last night I wanted to add a new email address to my Virgin account, so logged onto the Virgin website to do this. Once signed in, in a green box on the 'MY VIRGIN MEDIA' tab, is....

Exciting news - your new triple speed up to 60Mb broadband is ready for you!

As you're upgrading to some seriously fast broadband, you're going to need a new modem that's built to handle speeds of up to 60Mb. But don't worry - just click on the link and we'll send you your free Virgin Media Super Hub.

So, if you're still waiting for 'them' to let you know it's ready, log in and check for yourself. When the new modem arrives I'll do a speed test and hopefully see 60meg.

Hey doorframe - thanks for that :mrgreen:

Very bad form sir...posting stuff like that on Christmas eve #-o You've just ruined my day, I'll have to buy sone shiny new tools now to compensate.

Have a great Christmas :ho2 (through gritted teeth of course :lol: )

cheers
Bob

60Mmegs is the maximum speed their hardware could possibly do. You will almost certainly not see 60megs at your computer. I think you could expect to be three times your current speed though, it'll be worth doing a speed check before you upgrade and again after.

Grrrr 60Mbps!!! :cry: No i am not jealous(he says through clenched teeth) i get a lowly 2.5Mbps amd that is on a good day.

But in the current season of goodwill, good for you and have a happy christmas :D :ho2 :deer

Sorry if that read as a gloat. It was actually a bit of a moan towards Virgin, for not even emailing to inform that the upgrade is finally ready, and for not sending the modem automatically. If I hadn't gone to their website I'd be none the wiser. How many others are still 'waiting' for the upgrade?

TBH, I wouldn't know 60meg if it punched me on the nose. On the other hand, my game mad son is always moaning about our BB speed.

Think I might notice if I had 2.5meg though!

flying haggis":14qpyr2u said:
DF i didnt read it as a gloat and the good news is you might get even faster BB

http://recombu.com/digital/news/virgin- ... 11103.html

I know it refers to southampton but presumably everywhere will get it eventually

I didn't read it as a gloat either and good for you =D>

Not everywhere will get it. My mate is a BT director and he's adamant we'll be a long time dead before that happens here as there are no-where near enough potential customers to warrant the cost of providing new fibre optic cables to villages who have none in the vicinity. The only hope is that future development will go down a "side" route for the rest of us who live off the heavily beaten track.

I'm actually not badly off as can get about 7.5 mbps but it will never be able to exceed that.

Bob

We had the upgrade about 3 weeks ago and I am getting a high of 74mbps on every test site so not bad. It does make downloading programmes from Iplayer etc a lot easier.

john

jpt":2y2iza9g said:
We had the upgrade about 3 weeks ago and I am getting a high of 74mbps on every test site so not bad. It does make downloading programmes from Iplayer etc a lot easier.

john
that is excellent, what ISP are you with, what package ?

Thats with Virgin not sure what they call it now but it is their 60mb service.

Like doorframe I have been with them for years started on a dial up service then 1/2mb service and been upgraded over the years. I am very happy with them and apart from a few discussions over the costs I have had very few problems. We loose service about once a year but that is only usually for about 2 hours.

john

jpt":3khzcuwz said:

Like doorframe I have been with them for years started on a dial up service then 1/2mb service and been upgraded over the years. I am very happy with them and apart from a few discussions over the costs I have had very few problems. We loose service about once a year but that is only usually for about 2 hours.

john
74mbps from a 60meg service ? Is it a cable service or via regular phone lines into the home ?

I understand that it is possible to get a speed above stated value, I think it is related to distance from Virgin distribution point and your neighbours not downloading loads of data,
I have virgin 120mb and often check, and its 130+, but overall I would think around 100 is more realistic.

mjcann":2d0bu86z said:
I understand that it is possible to get a speed above stated value, I think it is related to distance from Virgin distribution point and your neighbours not downloading loads of data,
I have virgin 120mb and often check, and its 130+, but overall I would think around 100 is more realistic.

They must be quoting the speeds in a more realistic and sensible manner these days. They used to quote the maximum capabilities and in small print state that it's unlikely you'll actually get those speeds (or something). My ISP, PlusNet still does, my 20Mb package gives me 12 point something which is fast enough for me.

I just looked at the VM site, the fastest deals are with pure fibre (not fibre then copper), and sadly I can't get that in my street. They do say that the speed is not dependant on your distance from the exchange since it is pre fibre with no degradation due to the length of the conduit. Contention will play it's part though

I have 2to 3 megs I don't down load much certainly not films, therefore I have no real requirement for anything much faster, suits my needs. I can shop, buy and browse with those speeds there has been few times where I have had to wait for data, get the odd buffer on some U tube vids, but it's no big deal. I guess if you are an Internet slave or a big gamer, gambler then high speed becomes essential. Have a happy new year.

Our village made a concerted attempt with BT to get Infinity (40Mbps) and last year we got it and which was quickly upgraded to Infinity 2 ( Max 70 Mbps).
Previously I only managed 1.2Mbps max but generally in the low Kbps.
I don't download films but a lot of software is now only available by Downloads - my Garmin Sat Nav and Mac stuff for instance.
My Garmin used to take about 2 days to upgrade the latest maps (at 17kbps) - now only a few minutes.
I used to never bother with the YouTube videos featured on this site as they never worked but I can now.

Rod

newt":1jejdl1k said:
I have 2to 3 megs I don't down load much certainly not films, therefore I have no real requirement for anything much faster, suits my needs. I can shop, buy and browse with those speeds there has been few times where I have had to wait for data, get the odd buffer on some U tube vids, but it's no big deal. I guess if you are an Internet slave or a big gamer, gambler then high speed becomes essential. Have a happy new year.

nor me.

mseries":19l0lq1d said:
jpt":19l0lq1d said:

john
74mbps from a 60meg service ? Is it a cable service or via regular phone lines into the home ?

It is a pure fibre service before upgrade my 30meg service regularly clocked at 41meg. Virgin quote the speed you should get, even at peak times between, you and their base which they can do on a fibre link.

BT, and all those who use their system to deliver the Internet to your house, will give the maximum it is possible to get in theory given a perfect system then in small print say the speed you get could vary significantly from that quoted.

John

BT, and all those who use their system to deliver the Internet to your house, will give the maximum it is possible to get in theory given a perfect system then in small print say the speed you get could vary significantly from that quoted. John

Exactly what they do because they want your business. Below are the test results I've just taken. Pretty good at the minute but regularly down to 1.6 and they say the acceptable figure can be as low as 0.6mbps

Definately not acceptable to me! and despite promises they would set my ip profile to maximum connection rate, they still have it restricted even though my connection is very stable.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.13 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps

I got the new virgins super hub router last week and speed is going upto 30mbs for me but not available until August 2013 in my area.

Actually virgin do give some good support on broadband, I have had two previous routers this year and could not get any support from the manufacturers however last couple of days virgin have sorted out my Kindle and Humax both are now back on the internet.

They changed my channel at their end and wireless seems to be OK now.

Back