Virgin Media Broadband Speed Upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hub arrived on Thurs. Connected it and phoned the freephone number for activation. Within 3 minutes we had 65mb download speed.

Unfortunately that leaves me nothing to complain about.

Bah Humbug!

At the present time I am getting a sticky reception, the web and mail seem to hang before connection moves.

The mail shows in window live mail but it hangs when I try to open it, does yours?

devonwoody":cerup0th said:

They changed my channel at their end and wireless seems to be OK now.

wireless networking is nothing to do with their end. It's strictly between the access point (probably built into your router/modem) and your devices. They likely logged onto your wireless access point (router) remotely and changed it in there.

devonwoody":cgj554w4 said:
At the present time I am getting a sticky reception, the web and mail seem to hang before connection moves.

The mail shows in window live mail but it hangs when I try to open it, does yours?

That seems to depend on the mail, and who it's from. I get a lot of mail from job websites as I've been trying to move job for 3 yrs. One of those sites just sends me junk, and whether I try to open it or just delete it, it hangs for about 30 seconds. Others open straight away. I've no idea why.

I pay a fortune for my virgin its forever going up and up. We were just upgraded months after we were told it would be happening. It was being doubled from upto 10 to upto 20.

Before we were getting just under 10mb, so good but now its doubled to an amazing 11mb WOW not!!!

What a load of bullcrap double my buttocks:evil::evil::evil:

Have to agree re the ever increasing price of Virgin. I like the BB and the phone deal, but will almost certainly be dropping the tv package soon.

mseries":17x8m8n0 said:
devonwoody":17x8m8n0 said:

wireless networking is nothing to do with their end. It's strictly between the access point (probably built into your router/modem) and your devices. They likely logged onto your wireless access point (router) remotely and changed it in there.

So to avoid telephoning their support how do I do that?

go 198.168.0.1 and then what?

devonwoody":29wh6bvf said:
mseries":29wh6bvf said:
devonwoody":29wh6bvf said:

So to avoid telephoning their support how do I do that?

go 198.168.0.1 and then what?

without know what you hardware actually is, it's impossible for me to say. If it was mine, I'd look at the manual first to figure out what the setting is called, it'll be under wireless setting and channel I suspect or something like that then log on to the device and find the setting that I needed to change. That's not strictly true, I'd log on first and mooch around to see if I could find the setting. RTFMing is the last resort. My ISP Plusnet has some useful forums and online guides, often someone else has already talked about the problem and solution, not that I get many problems at all. my set up is pretty standard.

devonwoody":3kdo6hcp said:
Oh,. but my wireless router could not find my Kindle without virgin support

it's knowing what to change that's the key, and Virgin Cust Supp have probably seen the problem before so know what to try. If you knew what to change it would certainly have been possible for you to do it yourself and that is what I meant in my earlier post. Wifi and the internet are distinct things, I appreciate that some people don't see it this way. I am actually impressed with VM for logging on and sorting it out for you. I avoid calling any customer support if it's a config issue largely because they go through a set script and usually do not support Linux anyway.

Do you have any other wireless devices ? I had to configure my Kindle manually to use my access point including giving it a static IP and of course my encryption key, I don't know why it didn't work from DHCP but it's OK as i have other devices with static IPs on my network (my server and my print server)

It amazes me and angers me at the same time that technical stuff like computer networking is put in the hands of the general public. Amazes me that is works for so many and angers me that it's not locked down and precanned more to prevent problems and frustration for less tech. savvy users. It's a bit like buying a car is pieces and assembling it at home, few of us would contemplate it yet the broadband suppliers are brave enough to expect us to plug a router in and have it connect to a PC or Kindle or Mac or iPhone or Android with no knowledge. I have knowledge and it's not always an easy journey for me, it angers me when people like my 75 year old father can't get his stuff to work. (I get immense satisfaction from helping him and others though). Not that my father has my problems with his stuff.

My Humax needed vm to set up three times at least, it only worked one day without their support and at the present time it cannot connect. The last support fellah refused to support so I might get on my high horse next week with them and threaten to withhold payment. That usually gets them worked up.(besides me)

Back