bronze infill planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi DAVE D

few question if i may please .

I t being stainless steel how did you shape the sides and form the bevel to the mouth pieces in the sole would an ordinary file be any good on it at all . or did you buy it in kit form or do have a milling machine & would you have to have special cutters for that to be able to work stainless .?

it also appears to be quite a low angle as well or is this the way the pic appears to be taken , i do like the thickness to the sole and then the extra mouth piece make it look really chunky . really nice plane .

make a new handle for the old one, nay , not enough fun.hc

To get a good idea of the shapes of all the bits of the plane take a look at the images of Karl Holtey's No 98 on this website.

The blade bed angle is 20 degrees which with a 25 degree grinding angle and another 10 degrees for honing gives a total of 55 degrees.

The front of my plane has two layers of SS the upper one is rivetted to the sides and the lower one forming the sole forms the adjustable mouth and is held fast by screwing down the front knob.

All the machining was done on a Myford Super 7 lathe with sharp HSS tools and milling cutters.
Shaping the sides was done with several hacksaw blades, an angle grinder, some new files and Hermes RB406 abrasive roll which was also used for lapping the sole.
This stuff was apparently invented for polishing stainless steel submarines and I got mine from Axminster but it does not seem to be in their current catalogue.

However I picked the brains of Konrad Sauer at Westonbirt last year and he recommended Norton A275 which is available from Farnell in the uk.
This does cut very aggressively although it wears out quickly but is quite cheap.

To get back to your original question, If you were to make a bronze infill plane using rivets without an adjuster then you could manage with just hand tools and a drill press.

Let us all know how you get on. There is always something new to learn.

head clansman":2g8239u8 said:
Hi dave d

thank you. hc

try a google search - infill planes have always had a fascination for people, and now that posting photographs and stories is easy, many people have written up their projects.

BugBear

Dave D":yqw6trys said:
To get back to your original question, If you were to make a bronze infill plane using rivets without an adjuster then you could manage with just hand tools and a drill press.

Hi Dave,

That is such a nice plane - congratulations! I'd love to have a go at one myself!

Using something softer than stainless steel, mild steel perhaps, do you think it would be possible with a hand held drill rather than a drill press?

If you drill both the sides and the sole at the same time, it doesnt matter if the holes arent perpendicular. I would hope a little slopiness could also be fixed whilst peening?

Cheers!

I made that one with only a handheld drill, hacksaw and files:

olkahoyla1.jpg

(the whole thread at https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=25184 )

Ok, I used a bench grinder with the iron, but you really do not need that much tooling when building traditional tools.

My rivets were far from perpendicular as well. The most important thing is just to keep the parts tightly together when drilling. You can also put on the first two rivets and then drill the rest.

Pekka

Pekka Huhta":2mbdry74 said:
I made that one with only a handheld drill, hacksaw and files:

olkahoyla1.jpg

(the whole thread at https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=25184 )

Ok, I used a bench grinder with the iron, but you really do not need that much tooling when building traditional tools.

My rivets were far from perpendicular as well. The most important thing is just to keep the parts tightly together when drilling. You can also put on the first two rivets and then drill the rest.

Pekka

Thanks Pekka, thats a fine looking plane too. I like how all the metal parts were recycled.

What lovely planes and great skill.

I bought a mini lathe a few months ago (Emco Unimat 3) and when I have finished making my clock - one day??? :)

Rod

Hello Mickey

As you can see from the above posts your logic is correct.
Why not have a go with some scrap material first to get a feel the process and to see how much work would be involved for a complete plane

Dave D":3o5z2iq3 said:
Why not have a go with some scrap material first to get a feel the process and to see how much work would be involved for a complete plane

A very good idea indeed. When I started building a dovetail plane I made one dovetail just to get a knack of it. I also could then break the joint to see how strong it was and how it behaved when bending.

The dovetail was surprisingly weak in 3 mm steel/brass. The peeled pins (or tails, whatever) bent with bare hands, there was no need for putting the other part in a vice or using tools.

Pekka

Back