Britool No 10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger58

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi bought this last week, any ideas on age etc, a really well made bit of kit but the quill advances way too fast. Any help greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20230703_140152_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230703_140152_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230703_140158_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230703_140158_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230703_140222_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230703_140222_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
obv a lousy design again from B/D
too much over hang and a flimsy post.....
no wonder they went bust and everyone bought foreign.......lol......

best place is a museum.......

...the quill advances way too fast.

On that style of drill press, there is normally a screw that bears on the flywheel to alter the drag. When the screw is tight, the feed is fast. When the screw is loose, the feed should be slower. If it is old, the gummed up grease can act in the same way as a tight screw.

Because the heavy flywheel has a lot of inertia, it will tend to lag the lighter spindle. There is a thread connecting the two and that is what provides the feed. A smooth technique is needed to operate the machine. Work on your Jedi mind tricks to keep the spindle and flywheel together when you want and moving apart when you want.

More info. here:

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=186553

obv a lousy design again from B/D
too much over hang and a flimsy post.....
no wonder they went bust and everyone bought foreign.......lol......

best place is a museum.......

An alternative view is that it's actually quite clever, the quill descends fast until it meets resistance then the rotation is transferred to the flywheel or something and magic happens in some way that just enough downward pressure is applied to work. I would need to dust my similar one off to remind myself.

The post might be flimsy but the drill is designed in such a way that you can't not let the drill do the work. No horsing on that bad boy but my similar one has alway drilled exactly where I want it to and in a straight line... Ish. It's hopeless on wood though or probably anything soft.

Digger have you actually tried drilling something on it you might find it's working perfectly.

And quietly...

I remembered now. When the bit hits the item to be drilled and can't drop the flywheel climbs down the thread taking the pressure off the drill bit which then drops again, but smoothly, it doesn't lift and drop just puts the pressure on and off. I would also disagree about needing to use it smoothly. What it boils down to is there is no fixed connection between the handle and the spindles it's just spinning up the flywheel which smooths everything up nicely.

On that style of drill press, there is normally a screw that bears on the flywheel to alter the drag. When the screw is tight, the feed is fast. When the screw is loose, the feed should be slower. If it is old, the gummed up grease can act in the same way as a tight screw.

Because the heavy flywheel has a lot of inertia, it will tend to lag the lighter spindle. There is a thread connecting the two and that is what provides the feed. A smooth technique is needed to operate the machine. Work on your Jedi mind tricks to keep the spindle and flywheel together when you want and moving apart when you want.

More info. here:

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=186553
Yes I have tried the adjusting screw on the side that acts on the flywheel but it doesn't really make any difference, I took it out and cleaned it etc, its just a bit of brass thats spring loaded and acts against the flywheel sleeve.

So have you tried drilling something? Loosen off that adjustment knob all the way to start with.

Latest posts

Back