British Low Angle Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit- think its the hole in the wood to access the screw that niggles. I'm guessing it would work fine covered over, just need to fully remove it and tighten screw if there wasn't enough adjustment on turn wheel ? whatchamacallit

ColeyS1":11mgls1x said:
It looks great and I like the new colour......but the Clifton jack I bought should have been my favourite plane but I'd sooner swing around the weight of my no6 record. The Clifton just didn't feel comfortable in comparison. I'd love to buy the Clifton block but I can't see it performing better than the much cheaper quangsheng for a fraction of the price- believe me I'd like to think different !

Its probably a bit early to draw too many conclusions since no-one has really used it yet. If it doesn't perform better, or at least very well, then your quite right there are cheaper alternatives but, if it does perform very well (as I suspect it will, actually, I'm sure it will) I guess it boils down to whether you want to own and use a quality UK-made product or not. I think the Bubinga is an interesting approach as it can be re-modeled to suit the owner as they say on the web site. It seems one of the complaints of block plane is they can be uncomfortable to use. I made a dovetailed block plane a few years ago and used a similar wooden approach and its very comfy to use (although I don't use it much as it took me so long to make I'm dead scared of dropping it, so I use a 60 1/2 which is pretty average at best :oops: )!

Speaking of which, Vann pointed out to me that it doesn't have side dimples and might be a bit slippery and easy to drop. It'd be interesting to get users comments on that.

I'm very interested to see the reviews of how it performs and feels compared with the LV and Lie Nielsen and suspect I'll be adding to the collection at some point.

Good on Thomas Flinn/Clifton for listening to the folks who have been asking for exactly this tool for quite some time.

Cheers
Richard

Peter Sefton":3ir459bz said:
Just taken my demo plane out of the box and looking forward to playing with it tomorrow.
Looking forward to your impression of it Peter.

Paul Chapman":3ir459bz said:
Should have it by next week if all goes well.
Or yours Paul.

richarddownunder":3ir459bz said:
Speaking of which, Vann pointed out to me that it doesn't have side dimples and might be a bit slippery and easy to drop. It'd be interesting to get users comments on that.
Yes, I'm intending to purchase one for my 60th birthday later in the year, but they're not cheap, and before I commit my hard earned cash, I have a few reservations that I voiced privately to Richard, and have been intending to raise here. So here goes. As I see it (from photos posted so far):-

Cons:
- no cast iron body option. Bronze is said to sometimes mark timber when planing;
- no side grips (dimples). As it’s likely to be quite heavy, these would possibly help avoid loosing grip;
- no stop on adjustable mouth (that I can see), so you can easily ding the blade while adjusting the mouth or if the knob loosens.

Pros:
- looks VERY nice;
- I love the lever-cap. Attaching the bubinga to a brass plate seems a simple solution - and much nicer than the complicated castings used by Stanley et al.

So I'm looking for comments (any comments) from those who have handled them so far.

Cheers, Vann.

Hi Vann,

Mine hasn't arrived yet but as soon I have it and I've had a chance to use it, I'll let you know.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Vann

Sorry, didn't mean to jump in and put words in your mouth. :oops:

I have a friend with a LN blockplane, the first time he used it, it flew out of his hand and hit the concrete floor. Can't remember if that was a 'dimpled' one or not. :( . It looked a bit munted but still worked OK. Perhaps that is one advantage of bronze?

Cheers

Richard

iNewbie":3t2k61q9 said:
What was the reason behind making it in bronze than the same material as the other planes?

Just to correct some wrong information. The plane is actually made from brass, not bronze.

whiskywill":24nhuckq said:
iNewbie":24nhuckq said:
What was the reason behind making it in bronze than the same material as the other planes?

Just to correct some wrong information. The plane is actually made from brass, not bronze.

That is not what Clifton say: " Made from a high quality bronze casting, made here in Sheffield UK"

Who knows on the dimples. It supposedly went out for testing. If side dimples were necessary you would think that it would have been addressed very early in the design, so perhaps they ruled them out. This isn't difficult stuff. I 'designed' a wooden plane many years ago (OK stole a mix of design ideas from others, eclectic). I did it over 4 or 5 days, making various changes, all with the intent of making a very ergonomic plane. A metal plane is a little more difficult to make changes to but a well equipped machine shop shouldn't have much trouble in milling a couple of dimples in the side of a plane, if only to test whether they are an improvement.
Of course the smaller block (trim) planes don't have side dimples but they are much lighter in weight. I guess we'll soon find out what folk think.

PAC1":1cj6nen7 said:
whiskywill":1cj6nen7 said:
iNewbie":1cj6nen7 said:

That is not what Clifton say: " Made from a high quality bronze casting, made here in Sheffield UK"

The description mentioned both brass and bronze, so I asked and was told that it was made of brass and something like "brass and bronze are interchangeable" I am sure Katie will confirm.

Can't wait for the reviews.

Stiff competition out there, especially with the strong pound at the moment.

Veritas block plane with 3 dimples = 147 euros
Bat Plane DX60 with 1 long dimple= 174 Euros
Buy both and get free delivery = 321 Euros / £224

Prices from Dictum

whiskywill":sgy30po7 said:
The description mentioned both brass and bronze, so I asked and was told that it was made of brass and something like "brass and bronze are interchangeable" I am sure Katie will confirm.

Brass is an alloy copper and zinc Bronze is an alloy copper and tin, so not interchangeable.

Pete

Racers":1nbxwtbe said:
Brass is an alloy copper and zinc Bronze is an alloy copper and tin, so not interchangeable.

That is why I asked the question.

This is the reply I received.

"Hi, It's brass. Sorry for confusion some people interchange the term but it's technically brass. I have amended the website.

Katie"

whiskywill":tgvhlgtv said:
Racers":tgvhlgtv said:

That is why I asked the question.

This is the reply I received.

"Hi, It's brass. Sorry for confusion some people interchange the term but it's technically brass. I have amended the website.

Katie"

Katie may have amended the FB page but its listed as Bronze on the Garicks site for both products.

http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/aca ... ml#SID=454

http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/aca ... ml#SID=454

I'll say this: that body sure looks like Bronze - while the knurled knobs look like Brass.

11750689_1618186625096547_8042876725802969399_n.jpg

iNewbie":2cnmete7 said:
I'll say this: that body sure looks like Bronze - while the knurled knobs look like Brass.

As an owner of a few bronze castings and a bronze lever cap, I am in complete agreement with you.

There are quite a few Brass alloys though. I think the casting alloy has a higher Zn content than the usual yellow stuff that can be cold-worked, so the lower Cu content may alter the colour. Its an interesting choice of material in any case. Itll still tarnish though I guess.

Cheers
Richard

Mr_P":22qmud2o said:

Prices from Dictum

It must be tough for UK distributors at the moment. I've just made a major purchase from Dictum. Nearly half the UK price plus they are sending it to me DHL business premium for no cost. I did think twice about it, but in the long run it's saved me over £200.

Mr_P":2e0k7s8w said:

Prices from Dictum

Could some lucky person who already has one of these beautiful looking tools tell us how big it is please. I can't see any dimensions anywhere other than the blade width.
I have to tell myself not to get too excited, its only a tool. And I'm sure other forum contributors will be reiterating that very soon.
thanks
Simon

Peter Sefton":1d1un7bl said:
Just taken my demo plane out of the box and looking forward to playing with it tomorrow.
Things are very quite. Maybe nobody likes the new plane? :?

I hope that's not the case. Some of us have been waiting a long time to see this plane, and by a stroke of luck it has been launched just at a time when I have some extra cash to splash.

Cheers, Vann.

Back