British Low Angle Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PAC1":245hlf6f said:
MIGNAL":245hlf6f said:
My initial thought was brasso then wax on the same basis but not sure what to do as this is my first Bronze plane, hence my question.

Well I've worked a fair bit of brass and a bit of bronze over the years (electrical contacts, lugs etc) and both got treated the same.
I'd clean it up with a copper braid/stocking, scrunched up like wire wool. I wouldn't say it abraded the surface too much, but then again I wasn't always after a mirror finish.
The only time the brasso came out at work was for some display stuff, who wanted gleaming HV lugs I don't know :lol: They did look rather good though.
I expect Autosol metal polish will get you some good results.

PAC1":havxmbqz said:
I would like to polish the sole and have a play with the norris style adjuster and mouth adjustment.

Hi Peter,

Just remember that with a Norris-style adjuster it's advisable to slacken off the lever cap slightly when advancing or retracting the blade in order not to damage the thread. About one turn is sufficient.

Regarding the sole, this is my second bronze plane (the other is a Lie Nielsen small scraper plane). I find that it doesn't really need any maintenance. If you want it to be a bit more slippery, a squiggle with a candle does the trick.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul, thanks. I will try just a waxing. Given I have spent longer responding to comments on here, then I have using the plane I will go and set it up now!

Ok, so I gave the blade a hone up with my ultra fine ceramic stone, a bit of wax on the sole and adjusted the blade and mouth. It now works excellently very fine shavings on both edge and end grain. I tried a piece of English oak and it worked equally well. :D

Back