British Furniture and Joinery courses you'd recommend.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovetaildave

Established Member
Reaction score
I need your collective help chaps and chapesses.
I been visiting Taiwan for over a decade and have noticed the rise in Joinery and Furniture making woodworking classes generally available to both the retired and career changer. In the last two years there have been a large number of young graduates and non graduates taking these hand tool classes.

It’s a bit of a busman’s holiday for me and I sometimes visit a few classes learning and swapping knowledge. Many of the students own high end brands of hand tool, giving me the opportunity to handle them without the pressure to buy :D .

I have been asked by my good friend "Eric" (who for free, is advising and training some of the managers of a group of workshops) if I would collect the details of British colleges and workshops that offer;
• Short courses for individual students and small groups.
• Accredited courses, C&G, BTEC, OND,HND, BA.
• Accommodation prices connected to or within walking distance of the workshop.
• Good transport links to and from international airports(s)
• Access to timber merchants/supply.
• Day trip distance to cultural centres, cities/towns/museums/furniture collections/stately homes/English heritage etc.

In a months time, my college breaks up for summer and I’m going over to Taiwan. I’ve been asked by Eric to make a powerpoint presentation and talk to a few woodworking colleges/schools/groups of varying ages (over16) and skill levels. Most interested in accreditation/certification, others in the pleasure of the wood, the British furniture styles, western woodworking techniques .

Any digital format (Links/picture/blogs) is very welcome as its very powerpoint friendly and a picture tells a thousand words (ahem more than my Mandarin :oops: ).

If you have graduated from a college, own a workshop or can recommend any good workshops, that’s able to offer the above or most of the above of then please let me know.

If this sharing of information works out well, I imagine I can do the same for all those who are interested in oriental joinery and furniture and would like to know more or attend a college in Taiwan capital city Taipei.

Regards,
Dave

details of British colleges and workshops that offer;
• Accredited courses, C&G, BTEC, OND,HND, BA.

For courses that lead to an actual qualification like those in the quote, I'd think you would have to look at universities and colleges instead of the private courses linked to in the previous replies.

For example, London Metropolitan University offer degree courses in furniture:
http://www.thecass.com/courses/undergraduate/fda--furniture

Lots of colleges do carpentry and joinery courses, City & Guilds etc. I would expect all colleges to have details of all their courses online so it's a matter of looking through them.

City & Guilds are top notch; vocational courses developed over many years to suit people who need to earn a living and get jobs in the trade.

I wouldn't knock the many private courses basically run for amateurs, but they are a very different kettle of fish. I did a couple of days bowl carving with Robin Wood which was very enjoyable. I don't expect to sell many (any) bowls but you never know - it all adds to your skill base a.k.a. "capacity building". :shock:

Mr P; Thats really useful list of 6 training providers and the links all are working. Big thanks to Newbie_Neil
I think these courses would attract students who don't require a accredited qualification, older hobbyist and retired mature students maybe.

I note one is ; City & Guilds Approved Centre. I'd assume this craft school would attract the younger accredited qualification seekers who would probably go on in to industry.

JohnPW; "Lots of colleges do carpentry and joinery courses, City & Guilds etc. I would expect all colleges to have details of all their courses online so it's a matter of looking through them."
Yes sound advice John; I doubt Carpentry would interest these students, considering building Regs are very different in earthquake zones, such as Taiwan.
I am hoping to hear from ex students from some of these colleges and universities and their personal review of the actual course, facilities,availability of materials, teaching staff etc. I have paid and attended a few courses and I can report that at one establishment a lecturer was less than forthcoming, to the point of talking to his tutorial students through a closed door, often he could be seen rushing up or down the stairs being followed by students trying to get clarification or guidance. Un-beliveable if I hadn't experienced it myself. Conversely there were other staff members who we worth their weight in Lignum Vite at the same establishment.

gregmcateer; forgive me if I'm wrong, but have you studied at Peters furniture school? Nice informative website ; 6 miles from the train station, 3 possible B&B's within 4 miles £37-£50 per night.

Dovetaildave":3k579vs1 said:
Yes sound advice John; I doubt Carpentry would interest these students, considering building Regs are very different in earthquake zones, such as Taiwan. ......
You could be wrong there.
Here there is a great deal of interest in far eastern mainly Japanese woodwork. It's not how different it is, but rather how similar. Except for saws working backwards many thing are much the same. I'd expect a far eastern woodworker to find western methods interesting too - "compare and contrast" is a fundamentally useful learning process.

Jacob; you are right C&G are excellent, have studied a few myself.
http://www.cityandguilds.com/qualificat ... acc=level1 Guided Learning Hours: 123 - 188
This would require the student to find affordable digs and commit quite a lot of money, i'd assume a few £1000 on top of the £700 air fees. If they were sponsored by employers then that would be a very nice :D

Private courses, will try some when I can find the time to, many courses I'd love to try one day.
These would also have relevance for some of the students as they may be retired and enjoying their trip to UK sightseeing, incorporating it with some Woodworking, much as I do when over there myself.
On the up side, 3,5,7,14 day courses are short enough to fit into to an average holiday.

14 days into my C&G full time course I'd hardly got past halving joints and basic sharpening!
Anything less than 6 months is just a taster. 7 years is preferred.

Jacob":m2qz9w7g said:
Dovetaildave":m2qz9w7g said:
Yes sound advice John; I doubt Carpentry would interest these students, considering building Regs are very different in earthquake zones, such as Taiwan. ......
Here there is a great deal of interest in far eastern mainly Japanese woodwork. It's not how different it is, but rather how similar. Except for saws working backwards many thing are much the same. I'd expect a far eastern woodworker to find western methods interesting too - "compare and contrast" is a fundamentally useful learning process.

"You could be wrong there." Yes I am often wrong in many many things. But I do feel quite confident to say their building Regs will be different from ours in the UK. I doubt Carpentry would interest these students, Joinery and furniture making will.

"Compare and Contrast" Exactly as I do when I study/holiday there.
Chinese and Japanese joinery is very challenging to me and quite daunting to.

Do you have any courses you've attended in the last few years that you'd be willing to suggest/review?

Dovetaildave":r7cimgcg said:
Do you have any courses you've attended in the last few years that you'd be willing to suggest/review?
As above. C&G (excellent) many years ago in a place closed some time ago (thank you Margaret Thatcher) and Robin Wood (very good) just for fun.

I've heard good reports of http://www.greenwoodwork.co.uk/ but haven't yet had the pleasure.

Jacob":vp873a99 said:
Dovetaildave":vp873a99 said:
As above. C&G (excellent) many years ago in a place closed some time ago (thank you Margaret Thatcher) and Robin Wood (very good) just for fun.
I'm sad to say that colleges have been financially slashed again this year, many departments now closed and voluntary redundancies abound, all adult courses now closed. :(

I've heard good reports of http://www.greenwoodwork.co.uk/ but haven't yet had the pleasure.

Funnily I just managed to get hold of some Sycamore branches (6 inch and trunk 12 inch Dia ) on Friday and dragged them in a wheelie bin back and halved them on the bandsaw. Looking at trying 10 natural edged bowls.
This green woodwork would appeal to many of them as its outdoors in the British countryside in a temperate climate, no snakes or spiders. :D

Thanks

I did a c&g furniture making course at the City of Bristol college a few years ago. The facilities were great and the teaching staff were excellent, very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. All materials were supplied iirc

Woodmonkey":3aqan6zi said:
I did a c&g furniture making course at the City of Bristol college a few years ago. The facilities were great and the teaching staff were excellent, very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. All materials were supplied iirc

Thanks, I've just emailed my enquiry for their level 1&2 courses,fees for non EU students.

"the teaching staff were excellent, very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable" Are you able to tell me any names, so I can see if they are still there?

A few questions if I can;
What mandatory items did you make as part of the course ?
Did you have lockers for your tools ?
Library stocked with appropriate books and DVD's ?

Regards,
Dave

Gary Dingle was the head of, I believe he's still there. We were issued a basic tool kit which contained everything we needed for the course so you didn't need to bring your own tools in. We made a small cabinet with various different dovetail, secret mitre joints etc, a console table with veneered top, an old fashioned style bow saw and a veneered lidded box (that's all I can remember, there were a few other smaller projects in between). I only did the first year, the second year the students design and build their own projects. And yes there was a well stocked library on campus, and a small collection of dedicated woodworking books in the workshop.

I've exchanged an email or two with Chris Tribe, picked his brain on a couple items, he was so kind I would certainly take a class from him if I were able. Bit of a long trip for me.

CStanford":244yk929 said:
I've exchanged an email or two with Chris Tribe, picked his brain on a couple items, he was so kind I would certainly take a class from him if I were able. Bit of a long trip for me.

Memphis to Yorkshire....sure is a long way.....The free marquetry morning looks very appetising...http://www.christribefurniturecourses.c ... -half-day/ Another course I'd like to do when I have time to.

Woodmonkey; sounds like a good course, nice to know Gary is still in situ and the course will probably be the same as you describe, Console table is a good one especially if you live in a small flat. I struggled to buy the tools I was told to get at enrolment, probably only got the last few as the course finished. Do you know what C&G number the class were following?

I often think of my old C&G 564.1 teachers, Bob Thornhill and Mike Farrow, Dave Starlin, all great influences, I often mention them to my students, now I'm the teacher. College dropped the Cabinet making course years ago, I often wonder if they are still making. :)

Woodmonkey":3arzme1l said:
Gary Dingle was the head of, I believe he's still there. We were issued a basic tool kit which contained everything we needed for the course so you didn't need to bring your own tools in. We made a small cabinet with various different dovetail, secret mitre joints etc, a console table with veneered top, an old fashioned style bow saw and a veneered lidded box (that's all I can remember, there were a few other smaller projects in between). I only did the first year, the second year the students design and build their own projects. And yes there was a well stocked library on campus, and a small collection of dedicated woodworking books in the workshop.

Yes Gary is still head of Furniture Making at COBC. Clive left at the end of the last academic year though (or was it the one before that?). I'm not sure they would be able to meet Dovetail Dave's criteria of short courses though as their courses are all at least a year long.

Plumberpete":vbisvcc0 said:
Woodmonkey":vbisvcc0 said:

Yes Gary is still head of Furniture Making at COBC. Clive left at the end of the last academic year though (or was it the one before that?). I'm not sure they would be able to meet Dovetail Dave's criteria of short courses though as their courses are all at least a year long.

PlumberPete; Thats really usful info there regarding Clive you can only get that sort of info from people close to the college, staff and students really. I'm happy to hear Garys still there. Still wondering what C&G number they are offering....6217 or a 6219 etc. thats the kind of info that isn't often on websites, COBC for instance.

"Short /long courses", some would say an academic year of 38 weeks is short, someone over for 3 weeks would say its too long.
I'm asking on behalf of a wide demographic, from young to old, retired professionals to amateurs really. Some want a certificate, others want to enjoy themselves.

I've been asked to gather information and present it to them, so any info is better than none, from that they can make informed decisions. Knowing that a tool kit is supplied is great to know as they may only have room in a suitcase to return home with the item they've made whilst over here, Think Knockdown technology here....Note I didnt say "flatpack"

Thanks for your valuable insider information

Back