Hello Everyone :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle_K

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
My name is Michelle and I am from South London. I am really excited to be a part of this community as from what I have read of previous posts I can see it is a real supportive and friendly group.
I am very new to the world of woodworking and am glad to say I am gaining so much valuable useful information from people.
I have always been curious about woodworking but never really had a chance to get involved in it. However over the last few months I have realised it is what I want to do and so I have set about trying to make that happen. There are several routes I could go down. Ideally I would have loved to get in with a joinery company and learn on he job but things have changed so much when it comes to apprenticeships and having written hundreds of letters to companies I haven't had any luck that route. I am thinking about taking a course in September and have been looking into colleges but many courses are really expensive and only very short term so I am not sure that will be the best route for me but I am exploring it. My dream is to have my own space where I can practice and learn for myself. Seeking advice when I need it and just going for it. But here in London space is just too expensive and I just cannot afford hundreds of pounds a week for workshops. I have to admit when I am having my YouTube video sessions and I see the amazing workshops people have in their garages or gardens I do go a little green. I don't have any space at home to work. I don't even have a space for a small bench. I did manage to get a one off chance to visit a workshop for a few days and I did as much as I could in it while I was there. I started making an electric telecaster shaped ukulele. I got a lot done In the time that I was there but since leaving I haven't been able to continue the build.
As far as tools go due to limited funds I had planned to buy cheap tools and then buy better when I had more money but I was advised not to do that as cheap tools can make learning more difficult and frustrating so as advised I have been trying to source second hand tools. Meaning I have a random selection of bits and bobs.
So I guess my long winded question is how have other beginners overcome the limitations of space and tools. As I know there must have been many just like myself. Many people I have spoken to who have been carpenters for years say they started out as an apprentice for several years and started from there but as I said the world has changed so much and those opportunities rarely exist anymore. From what I have seen most apprenticeships tend to be for younger people ( I am 31). So any advice would be greatly appreciated. My long term goal is to gain enough skills to build my own guitar. My main focus with woodworking I would like to be box making. And I would love to give woodcutting a go just to try it out. Does anyone know of any places in London that teach wood turning. I want to do it all, lol! But don't worry i know how important it is to have a focus and mine will be the box making so am on the look out for some good books!
Anyway I am sorry this is an essay. I hope I have made sense.
And thank you all again for accepting me into the community.

Michelle

Hi Michelle and welcome. If you put as much effort into your woodworking as you do when posting on the forum, you shouldn't have any problems !!!!

Dave

As a newcomer to the forum myself, but an old hand in the world of woodworking, Welcome.

Does anyone know of any places in London that teach wood turning

Google is your friend, look for wood turning clubs etc in your area, I found this one if it is within your reach.

http://www.eastsurreywoodturners.org/index.shtml

I am sure if you went along you would be welcomed with open arms, along with forums such as this, advice and guidance will be plentifull.

Fine woodworking Magazine are running a 52 boxes in 52 weeks programme, you can read the blog here:

http://www.mekwoodworks.com/

Good luck

Hi there.
Like yourself, I've only recently started on this path. Good luck with yours, but getting back to your question: I don't have the luxury of my own workshop or shed. What I do have is a large kitchen with a table that I don't mind mounting a portable vice on. Also what I've found is a local 'Mens Shed' which is a 'social enterprise' kind of operation, existing for the purpose of giving older guys with time on their hands, a place to go to to exercise, share or sharpen up their skills and/or just spend some time with other people doing the same. And if you think that rules you out, women and younger people do go there.
http://www.camdentownshed.org/
As well as access to a workshop and tools, it was really enjoyable, and I really learnt a lot off the guys there (while I've found this forum really helpful, there's nothing like having someone with a lifetime of experience at the same bench).
The shed is part of a wider network, so you may be able to find something local to yourself. Other similar resources are springing up now - they're often called 'makerspaces', or hack spaces.
I've just put 'makerspace south london' into Google and here you go:
http://southlondonmakerspace.org/
Through the shed search http://menssheds.org.uk/find-a-shed/ I can see one in Southwark, and one in Lewisham.

You'll probably still want to be able to get on with work at home whenever the fancy takes you so I'd recommend that you also think about whether you can get a set-up at home with enough space that will allow you do the work that you want to. Good tools will set you back, maybe you'll get to know someone who'll let you borrow. Whatever, even if you do end up buying cheap tools, one thing I will tell you is that one of the best lessons I learnt is how to sharpen your tools.

Good luck!
Perce

Back