Britain's Best Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 blocks of wood with the shallowest of scoops taken out of one end constitutes the winning spoon/s? eh?

I seriously hope the remaining contestants get some qualified training in chainsaw use before next weeks show.

6 blocks of wood with the shallowest of scoops taken out of one end constitutes the winning spoon/s? eh?

I seriously hope the remaining contestants get some qualified training in chainsaw use before next weeks show.

I think the problem was with the instructions. As I recall, the requirements were to make as many identical spoons in the time allowed. Apparently, the only test for being spoon worthy was the ability to scoop a powdery substance from a container. I used to have some measuring spoons that were similar to the wooden masterpieces. They were flat plastic rectangles with appropriately sized depressions for each of the measurements from 1/8 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon. I never liked them and they didn't make the trip to Germany.

My wife saw the notice for the show and thought I would enjoy watching it. I told her I had already seen the first episode and was not impressed, but she insisted. She is not a woodworker, but agrees we won't be watching the next episode.

I skimmed through the second episode on YT. Dolls' houses.
They're a creative bunch. Interesting ideas. Perhaps a bit lacking when it came to the execution of the projects.
There are worse things to watch on TV. :)

my wife and I have watched no. 3 and enjoyed it again…
the castle and lighthouse on last weeks and then Misty’s armchair this week have all inspired me to do something similar…

my wife and I have watched no. 3 and enjoyed it again…
the castle and lighthouse on last weeks and then Misty’s armchair this week have all inspired me to do something similar…

I don't mind the program and it is made for entertainment, if it manages to inspire anyone to do anything then that's got to be a good thing. Better than watching made in Chelsea or love Island that have no betterment of society.

Joe did well to get the laminated ply down. Those Bessey clamps are really for light clamping - a set of Record sash clamps would have been better. As for Rhada attempting a resin pour with no experience -what could possibly go wrong Duh ! Does anyone know anything about that workshop ? Its pretty well equipped for a workshop with apparently no windows.
It's on the Glanusk Estate, Crickhowell. .....I had a workshop there when based in Wales.

I get the impression that the program is more about an “unusual design” that can be knocked together rather than making something useful and usable in wood. The judges ask for ridiculous things like, and heirloom dolls house or in the recent one a unique chair design. Unique chair wow do they realise just how stupid they sound, someone who could design and build something in the time allowed that had not already been done would not been seen dead a program like this.

I've watched all three episodes now with my (non wood-working) partner and share many of the views expressed here. It does seem to be improving a little and some of the designs are excellent. The two main gripes remain however: 1) Those two judges really take the joy from the programme. 2) Compared to Bake Off and Pottery Throwdown, the time limits really don't suit the whole "philosophy of woodwork" which, I think, is meant to be slow, careful and thoughtful. All in all though I am now quite looking forward to watch episode 4!!

One thing I forgot to put in previous comment. Whilst there is certainly an overt display of "tick the boxes" in terms of diversity, this is maybe not a bad thing as I believe things have really changed.

There is no doubt that historically woodwork has been much more male dominated - certainly when I was at school, boys did woodwork and girls were not given the option. The classes in our workshop were for many years dominated by 50-70 year old males often re-kindling a passion for woodwork which started at school back in the day.

Since I started keeping track of numbers who attend our courses, around 40% of students have been female. We ask them why they are coming along for a course. "I just love wood" is by far the most common answer, often accompanied by "but I've never had the chance to work with it and I don't know how".

We are also seeing bigger age range including younger folk - they sometimes do some woodwork at school as part of their Resistant Materials lessons but rarely have the chance to develop their skills further.

Lastly, we are seeing a significant minority who are openly gay - obviously we don't ask people - but many refer to their same sex partners or indeed come along as a couple.

So - whilst there is undoubtedly some tokenism on some programmes, woodwork is definitely no longer the preserve of middle/old aged white males. Like me.

I'm looking forward to the final, I want to see a proper "big build" with a generous amount of time to complete it (I know, it won't happen)

Joe and Misti were definately the best of the bunch, my only issue was that Mistis chair looked more like something that was meant be looked at rather than sat in, the edges and corners of all those timbers would have really dug into your back after a few minutes.
Radha had a nice concept, it's a shame he destroyed the resin pour, I think it would have looked really nice even though fairly impractical, there definately seems to be a Japanese theme to his builds so far (dolls house excluded)

These people are pretty clueless, those joints are horrendous.
Mr Bradshaw my college lecturer would be pulling his hair out seeing them banging away with no sacrificial piece of wood as they assemble their projects.
I read that as Mr Bandsaw

She was about the only one THAT followed the brief
“Make as MANY identical spoons as you can”

I just wish folk wouldn’t stop with the negative comments it’s the shows fault not the people taking part.

I find it weird they are all doing different things on most shows like this they are shown what to make and they all have to make the same thing.

I wasn't going to bother watching but succumbed - it was all a bit of nonsense to me in terms of "woodworking"

. . . the finely sculpted stuff (Misti & Radha) was vaguely relevant but the remainder with chainsaws/grinders etc were more akin to the "chainsaw challenge" events you see with tartan-shirted, bearded, muscular lumberjacks performing at US-style outdoor farm show extravaganzas.

BUT the real question is what colour outfit will the judge bloke be wearing next week?

I can't see this making it to a second series.

were they a bit hard on Radha because the architect felt threatened by another strutting peacock?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I've watched them all, well sort of whilst doing other stuff and muttering choice words under my breath, it is getting slightly better but it's definitely a people watching not a woodworking program and should be named the incompetent wood butchers as none of them will ever be Britain's best woodworker.
I've heard that all the tools and equipment was loaned of gifted but the good quality timber and ply being wasted is criminal and the statement that they are replacing that by planting trees is a weak justification.

To my mind you sculpt a sculpture, therefore I didn’t feel Radah or MustI even met the brief Despite Radah’s sculpted pigeon.

Billy’s lion was so over optimistic for a two day challenge, but I thought he made a fantastic effort for the time given, it was in brief and deserved to keep him in. Joe’s boxer dog was a very decent likeness of a boxer, even if not his, and I’d have been fine with that effort again in two days and was at least as good as the snail. Misti using a roughing gouge turning the base deserved a yellow card (or red) from the ‘safety technicians’, and a two dimensional glue up just didn’t cut it for me in this challenge. She should have gone just because Radah had immunity.

None will ever be Britain’s best, a mis-titled programme, but it’s still good to have some sort of wood working exposure on mainstream tv.

To my mind you sculpt a sculpture, therefore I didn’t feel Radah or MustI even met the brief Despite Radah’s sculpted pigeon.

Really? ;) ignoring this program and look at world renowned sculptures - some might be sculpted out of wood or stone - but many are made in other ways - welding / glued / etc. - a dictionary definition is the art of carving, modeling, welding, or otherwise producing figurative or abstract works of art in three dimensions, as in relief, intaglio, or in the round. - so on that basis, all of them are valid...

Radah's was I thought very good, admittedly the tail was not as good as the body, but simply a time factor - but it was figurative and realistic - Misti's - my favourite of them all, something I would happily own... The two of them are clearly a step above the others...

I am surprised that anyone takes the title too seriously - clearly it is not Britain's BEST woodworker, but the programme is fun to watch - it would appear that it can appeal to those who enjoy wood and their spouses which is no bad thing, and I certainly find it inspiring - there may be others who look at it and think - I wonder if... and that could be enough to start a lifetime enjoyment of working with wood...

Anyone who takes the title seriously will be no doubt disappointed - but instead let's celebrate mainstream TV programmes on wood... ultimately it is TV which means it is about personalities - which will be why they selected those they chose... but we can still enjoy the content - those who are grumpy old men can sit in the corner and pontficate about how they would do it better, and everyone else can just enjoy it :)

The Zebra whilst being pleasing visually should have been disqualified rather than awarded best of the week IMO. I was supposed to be a carving excercise and the cartoon boxer was far closer to that remit. The Zebra was not a carving in any sense of the word, cut out with a jigsaw, scorched and joined with metal rods then turning a base on a lathe. Sculpture well could be carving - never.
The judges like the contestants were a very poor choice, the architect hasn't any clothes sense never mind woodworking nouse.

The Zebra whilst being pleasing visually should have been disqualified rather than awarded best of the week IMO. I was supposed to be a carving excercise and the cartoon boxer was far closer to that remit. The Zebra was not a carving in any sense of the word, cut out with a jigsaw, scorched and joined with metal rods then turning a base on a lathe. Sculpture well could be carving - never.
The judges like the contestants were a very poor choice, the architect hasn't any clothes sense never mind woodworking nouse.

I think the remit was "sculpture" rather than carving. I'm surprised so many of them went with large carved pieces. Incredibly hard to do. I thought Joe was a bit hard done by. I actually didn't think much of the snail as it looked unrecognisable as a snail to my eye.

I’m still enjoying it, and I have now got to the point where I understand the judge’s decisions, even if I don’t agree with them.

1) This is mostly about the design. 70% of the marks
2) The overall finish&execution (the actual wood work) is then secondary. 30% of the marks
3) There is little or no consideration about skills, productivity, safety, efficient use of materials or choice of production methods; all of that is covered by the ‘technicians’. 0% of the marks

Back