Bri's projects.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MattRoberts":2ux3tugs said:
Going really well mate, real progress!

Thanks so much Matt,
I was buzzing when finally finished.
But time to rest and not go overboard.
Plenty time to think how I went, like I said it's not easy with lack of brain cells haha! But it's all learning and how I x'd N overcome it.
Today if possible it's going to be the hard stage next, transferring the joint for the pins I think!
If not I've got a chance tomorrow with mick (spmick) at his workshop to start the project properly..will instruction will help.
I text my pal whose a joiner and he blow away with what I accieved, was a bit apprehensive to tell him and show.
According to him I was the worst wood DIY bloke in the world lol.
Tbh I was had the best aid yesterday..my mobile! A picture of a dovetail joint! It really help me...as you saw I was getting confused and doubt set in.
I'm off in the man cave...
ATB
Bri

Hmmmmmmmmm!!!
At the moment I'm serously doubting my abilities!!
We saw after so hours I can get a dovetail joint!
But the second stage that custard admits is hard for a single handed person.
As the pics will show how it went!
Ok people would say don't get down! But I'm thinking there's a long way to go.
Finally there's doubt in my tiny mind about using a easier joint!!
Like the pocket hole jig!! (Lest face it I've not payed 65 odd pounds for the jig N not use it!!!
Don't get me wrong!! Looks as I'm negative, but just need practice...
So I've got cunning plan! All will revealed soon!
It's not the answer but shows me I can do it! With determination and a bit of practice.
Pics in a few mins. After I mopp up the tears I've spilt!!! Haha!!
ATB
Bri

here you go.
the pics tell the story.
yesterdays joint
good joint2.jpg

making and cutting the second board was a disaster from start to finish....
resize...jpg

the rest you can see from the pics.
IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG

ohhhh well! all part of learning
IMG_1535.JPG

ATB
Bri

Attachments

• good joint2.jpg
    good joint2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 573
  • resize...jpg
    resize...jpg
    129 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_1714.JPG
    IMG_1714.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_1715.JPG
    IMG_1715.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 573
hello all,
hope you can understand my negative feelings just now?
Just tried to cut some scrap wood to size.
frustrating! the cut is wonky and more I try it even with usless mitre box still a load of dog toffee!
without power tools to get the straight edge im finding once again spending more money for a jig off some sort to get the cut right every time.
£29 this time for a 90 degree jig.
before anybody say it about learning free style sawing ive looked at every video going, one handed of course. practicing my useless body at all the position etc.
but it get me to look at the jig every time.
£90 so far on 3 jigs, £65 for a pocket hole jig, about £200 on hand tools, plus a crappy workmate (so far!) and for what?
TBH I don't know where to go now? feeling that this hand tools, trying dove tail joints is severely knocking my confidence.
What if I cant get a simple dove tail joint let alone any other joints, is it the end of the world?

oooppps! sorry hot submit button.
TBH as I stand ( well lay down) im frustrated and there is a better answer out there to enjoy woodworking, without all this frustration and endless spending money of jigs etc.
might help when I get my bandsaw, but for now im all smash in! I know its never going to easy, but not enjoying it one bit tbh!
Sorry ive had a rant....
good days, and bads I suppose.
ill pick myself up in the morning and after I see mick, ill decide whats best way ahead, coz I don't have a clue.
ATB
Bri

Chin up Bri! To be honest, you did kind of launch straight in to making dovetails, which are arguable the hardest joint to make. I suggested before about starting with finger joints first.

Another mitigating factor is the scrap wood you're using - it's a very rough finish, so the end result is also going to look rough.

That said, I do see your point about starting from wood with a straight cut - it is pretty essential. If you have a bandsaw on the way, that's going to put you in a much better starting position.

Woodworking takes a long time to master even with two working hands (I'm two years in and no where near mastering it!). Your positive attitude thus far had been an inspiration to all, so I'm going to let you off this minor set back soldier!! :D

Woodworking is hard enough to learn even without a disability so don't get discouraged. Using hand tools is the hardest part but knowing which power tools to use can be an expensive exercise. Hopefully I should get you to make a basic box with mitre joints fairly easily and raise your spirits.

Hello Matt n Mick,
It's a hard one for me, but not getting frustrated isn't the answer lol
Thx mick I've pack my back pack and ready to meet u tomorrow!
Like you said getting instruction is what I need.
At least I've got loads of jigs now! (And the 90 degree one coming!)
Can't wait
ATB
Bri

I'm hesitant to write anything to be honest Bri. I'm just starting out myself. I can't advise you as to how to cut a joint or scribe a line etc. One thing I'd say is slow down a little. Make sure you're going at the pace that suits you. Maybe if you're getting frustrated your aiming for higher standards than you can achieve on what's let's face it your first attempt. Remember to enjoy it otherwise. ... what's the point? Cutting quality joints by hand is a hard learned skill. Otherwise it'd be easy and there would be master craftsmen all over the shop. One handed you have a drawback but nothing you can't master. Just remember to enjoy the ride. Hope you take this the way it was meant. From one beginner to another. As the saying goes... The life so short, the craft so long to learn.

Bm101":2cldqzbb said:
I'm hesitant to write anything to be honest Bri. I'm just starting out myself. I can't advise you as to how to cut a joint or scribe a line etc. One thing I'd say is slow down a little. Make sure you're going at the pace that suits you. Maybe if you're getting frustrated your aiming for higher standards than you can achieve on what's let's face it your first attempt. Remember to enjoy it otherwise. ... what's the point? Cutting quality joints by hand is a hard learned skill. Otherwise it'd be easy and there would be master craftsmen all over the shop. One handed you have a drawback but nothing you can't master. Just remember to enjoy the ride. Hope you take this the way it was meant. From one beginner to another. As the saying goes... The life so short, the craft so long to learn.

Hi m8,
You'd have hard job making me get upset what people say! Lol
Used to worse over the years believe me!
Sound advise m8!
It's good get another point of view, it's all being in a forum, speaking your mind and talking about it!
It not the disibilty or starting with basics it's I would of spend my money with the machinery if I honest!!
About £300 so far at hand tools could of bought a decent bandsaw (if my old one is up to it when I get it)
But with help tomorrow I'll get the idea the wAy ahead.
Like you said I have to enjoy it!!!
ATB
Bri

Bri,

Anyone here who says they have never done the same thing is a liar.

Dovetails are on my to do list for when I retire as I know it will take ages to master it.
As Matt says they ain't easy

lurker":j8ovuydb said:
Bri,

Anyone here who says they have never done the same thing is a liar.

Dovetails are on my to do list for when I retire as I know it will take ages to master it.
As Matt says they ain't easy

Hello m8,
Should be better when I get the latest jig! 90 degree jig! Clamps on with the magnet and saw straight!!
Cutting stright was frustrating!! Even using my plane.
ATB
Bri

Hello All,
just had a great time with Mick (stmick) with awesome workshop!
like a school kid in a candy shop spring to mind!!
Got well together, even the heat didn't get in the way of having fun..
At least Mick is ex REME and know the banter.... "Roger, Say again! ETA your location!" :lol:
Settle into the fun, once I stopped looking on all the machinery and picking my mouth up on the ground!
My First Wood Project! band saw...
great getting instructions an mick is actually a natural teacher (mind when he gets to know me he might change his mind!)
WUP! WUP! chuffed ta bits!
IMG_1721.JPG

now to the protect the box caddy!
Micks ideas are over my heed! might be the heat, or im not functioning.......still on workshop machinery mode! :mrgreen:
this pic is mick trying to explain a few :idea:
But alas need to get back and get my medication.....
IMG_1722.JPG

But as Mick says got plenty of time...
Thank Mick so much, I thing you know how important means to me.......I don't get out often HAHA!
my Mind is full....(not cartoons!!!) so time to rest..
Happy chappy.
ATB
Bri

Attachments

• IMG_1721.JPG
    IMG_1721.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 800
My big brother is ex R.E.M.E, so I'm also conversant in the lingo.
Bri, you're an inspiration mate, crack on.
:D

Bri

good to see youre still cracking on, as others said that we all make mistakes, but the main part is not giving up which you havent.

Good to see you had so good tuition from Mick. youre lucky you have someone close by that is able to offer some help.

Take your time and with practice it will come.

all the best

Colin

RickN":23d5jx8r said:
My big brother is ex R.E.M.E, so I'm also conversant in the lingo.
Bri, you're an inspiration mate, crack on.
:D

Hello m8,
Don't know bout inspiration!!! More like conspitation!! Lol
Yeah in life is so easy to give up! It's not my book!! I could of just give up, two strokes and my birthday lol
I done made them happen! So when I finally get my eyesight back and looked around the ward! Winging people moaning all the time!!! Naaaa!! That's not me! I've always been a fighter!
Determined and humour took me from a 'cabbage' (only way I can express it) n the dr's said I'll never walk again, move my arm, speach etc, due to the 11 hours I was left...too much brain cells died!! To a hobbling nutter out of wheelchair in 5th month...7th month the arm could Move a bit!
But I walk out the hospital unaided!!
Now 1.5 years on! Anything is possible! Never give up even if someone tells you you can't!!!
I thank the lord I was saved, when so many people do not survive.
I may not run a marathon again, or swim a triathlon!!! But never say never!! 'Run Forrest!' Lol
Anyways away from Bri's story! Seems like a sermon thingy!!
Mick apart from help me and shared his knowledge he got me out of the house and mixed..lol
ATB
Bri

technium":2hczl1t3 said:
Bri

good to see youre still cracking on, as others said that we all make mistakes, but the main part is not giving up which you havent.

Good to see you had so good tuition from Mick. youre lucky you have someone close by that is able to offer some help.

Take your time and with practice it will come.

all the best

Colin

Mornin Colin,
How you today pal?
Yesterday was something I needed, not just getting out of the prison cell lol to finally meet new people..tbh not all people would like to meet a disabled Geordie that battles with his speach and thinking process! Lol at least I'm house trained haha!! But Mick was properly one person that didn't jump in and finish the sentence I tried to say!!! It is hard just human instinct...
I think me saying "what's it chopped" thingy! Laddo, the obvious was a good laugh!
The instruction especially the safely aspect was spot on! And getting my tiny brain fathom out wich machinery I could buy evernatly if I have suitable workshop and 'what do I want to make?' Vs cost etc...
It's open my horizons for possibilitys!
Using a band saw was new to me after so long and I appreciate the my limitation with my disability!
Bit cheesed off two weeks holiday! (The first holiday in 1.5 years) With my Bairn n our lass going to test me!! Lol

I'll send you a post card lol
ATB
Bri

A fellow Geordie? Im originally from Oxford and moved to Washington for about 8 years when I met my wife who is a Geordie and a Feisty one at that! and a nicer bunch of people you could never have met. Loved my time up there.

I am pleased to hear about your progress with your illness. My sister in law (wifes sister) at age 30 has just had a stroke (last Tuesday) and we have been going to and from Weymouth to Cardiff where she is to visit her and at the moment she has no movement on right side, limited movement on left and little to no speach and its heartbreaking as she has 3 young kids so its encouraging with what you are saying and that has hit a nerve and I really hope she is able and willing to fight as much as you are and have mate. Thanks for sharing as thats honestly brought me to tears just thinking about it now.

take care mate and enjoy your hols.

Colin

Latest posts

Back