Bri's projects.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manxnorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I decided to put my first project on the map so to speak!
It's with all your help so far and Custard (thx pal) helping me with the wood to practice and get started.
The project can be found with Paul sellers 5 part series on making a box caddy.
My question so far:
1.Is the dovetail joint is the best(for me) to start with? As I have practice a fair bit and for all my dove tail starts good by the end of them...really shocking tbh...cutting them too big!! And getting them wonky etc..
I know I can't glue wood back..and I need to under cut them and use tools to get them right I.e. A chisel
I think I just lack experience and more pratice..what u think?
2. Marking the dovetails spot on using my good hand and clamps are getting me a bit frustrated!! Lack of experience and pratice again! I spend hrs just marking them after making sure the wood is stright and flat etc..another learning curd just doing that aswell.
3. I await the block plane arriving and after dressing it properly hoping this make it easier to use one handed, and make the project look and feel satisfying.
4. For all I have just not jumped into aything and took the learning into my tiny brain...I think of such items that will make my work improve, I.e. A band saw could make my dovetails improve and save time and effort..
And get the joints cut quick and level-square and flat.
5. The need to get the right tools saving time and losing the 'human error' I face just now could get to me!! But I will not give in... :mrgreen:
Hopefully your just think doubt is setting in and I just need a kick up the rear!! Lol persivere I will.. :D
I look fwd to you advice and I'm open to any changes needed, I'm looking fwd for this project being not only mine but made from together from us all.
Nite nite all,
Time for medication and sleep lol
ATB
Bri

With a after thought.
I have point out that I have Aphasia (problems with speech and communication) I know what I want to say! But when speak sometime the wrong words come out or I don't know or remember the word..unfortualy it the same when write and spell. I can get confused for what I actually want to say and people may get confused!
So I'm sorry if I don't make sence or make the point noticeable.
Mind being a Geordie doent help lol.
Hope this clear up any problems...if not just tell me a total so n so!! Haha!
ATB
Bri

Hi mate, a couple of things :

1. Have you seen the dovetail guides you can get like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400609782229 ?

They might make one handed marking easier, and they have magnets in them to keep the saw blade aligned.

2. Would it be worth starting with straight finger joints before progressing to dovetails?

Keep it up, and let's see some photos!

MattRoberts":2kf5fyu5 said:

1. Have you seen the dovetail guides you can get like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400609782229 ?

They might make one handed marking easier, and they have magnets in them to keep the saw blade aligned.

2. Would it be worth starting with straight finger joints before progressing to dovetails?

Hello Matt,
I was lying in bed and then stumbled on finger joints on the net!
I would be much simpler, and with the template that I'm going to look at in the mo!
I'm fired up tbh! Any doubts are long gone!
I'll see any pics so far for the thread.
Thinking the block plane should be here tomorrow or even today. :)
I've bought one of them pocket hole joints jigs (Greg one) but getting a decent clamp to secure the joint whilst gluing and then screwing is the next purchase..(60 odd beaver pelts is a lot of money lol)
Mind with all that tools I've manage to get there's not much room to store them..do now looking into suible storage solutions...coz every thing is set up for my leather work tools.
Thanks again m8, I'm on it like a tramp on chips!!
ATB
Brian

Baldhead":1o6vw7g1 said:
Hi Brian
Check out these

http://www.davidbarronfurniture.co.uk/d ... ?pg=1&id=5

David sells a variety of jigs to help you cut a huge range of joints, he also has a YouTube channel which is well worth watching. He's a nice chap and will go be you honest advice regarding the tools he sells if you send him an email.
HTH

Stew

Thx Stew,
ill look on the link, and send an email.
ive just looked at the jig that Matt sent......60 beaver pelts :shock:
mind it must the cost nowadays...im in the stoneage...
ill report when get sorted....got a Rider 69 1/2 block plane to dress... :mrgreen:
catch you soon Stew.
ATB
Bri

manxnorton":2n64jnwj said:
Baldhead":2n64jnwj said:
Hi Brian
Check out these

http://www.davidbarronfurniture.co.uk/d ... ?pg=1&id=5

David sells a variety of jigs to help you cut a huge range of joints, he also has a YouTube channel which is well worth watching. He's a nice chap and will go be you honest advice regarding the tools he sells if you send him an email.
HTH

Stew

Thx Stew,
ill look on the link, and send an email.
ive just looked at the jig that Matt sent......60 beaver pelts :shock:
mind it must the cost nowadays...im in the stoneage...
ill report when get sorted....got a Rider 69 1/2 block plane to dress... :mrgreen:
catch you soon Stew.
ATB
Bri

Stew any advice with the Angles I should buy, and how I can clamp on the wood?
Angles available 1:4, 1:5, 1:6, 1:7 and 1:8.
quite interested, as the price under £35..
ATB
Bri

Bri, if memory serves me right when I was at school (a bloody long time ago) it was either 1:6 or 1:8 depending on whether it was for hardwood or softwood, so take your pick, or you could split the difference and go for a 1:7, someone with more woodworking knowledge then me will advise you.
A word of warning regarding these jigs, David recommends using a Japanese pull saw because with a western saw you won't get a very deep cut, that said though there's absolutely nothing wrong with Japanese saws.
It would be time well spent watching all of David's videos on YouTube, they're all very informative.

Stew

Baldhead":18v8l11o said:
Bri, if memory serves me right when I was at school (a bloody long time ago) it was either 1:6 or 1:8 depending on whether it was for hardwood or softwood, so take your pick, or you could split the difference and go for a 1:7, someone with more woodworking knowledge then me will advise you.
A word of warning regarding these jigs, David recommends using a Japanese pull saw because with a western saw you won't get a very deep cut, that said though there's absolutely nothing wrong with Japanese saws.
It would be time well spent watching all of David's videos on YouTube, they're all very informative.

Stew

Great one Stew,
well I got a nice email from David, what a spot on bloke.
he could made money from me...but after talking about my one had prob with marking and clamping etc.
He suggested to buy the one Matt suggested coz of the clamp fitting.
I need a clear head to work out today activity on my project, well lack of them..due to not getting the marking right, saw position and it got worse after that....
so I want to analyse what goes wrong at each stage..and how I can remedy it. and hopfully put it onto words.
my tiny brain is packering so time for shut eye.....
once again, it tends to late on at nite then I get a bit frustrated...but ill battle on.
clear head and a new day n all that.
ATB
Bri

Morning guys and ladies,
In the light of day, last night It was hard to express what I want to say!
Today the fact of the matter I need an aid firstly to mark the joints and cut the properly.
So until then I'm not wasting time making basic mistakes especially at the early stages on any project!
Once I've got used using aids I will go one to the next stage n so on!! If You can understand what I mean?
Like any art I have to perfect each stage and do not the same mistake twice..move on to the next stage and until the project piece is finnished...hopefully to my standards that put in place.
You can I'm a hard perfectionist!! But I've leant from some great mentors..and now finding this forum there is plenty of advice that I want to listen and absorb it info
David Barron email me again today and he give encouragement, so I will achieve it (with not big headed)
I'm going to buy the jig that Matt advised and take it from there.
Small steps n all that.
Thanks once again stepping in and showing your experience and kind advice
Stage two...well tidy up the man cave and prep for the next stage..Custard's kind gift of the wood!
Respect all,
ATB
Bri

MattRoberts":2oayuzun said:
Hi Bri - this is of clamp is probably what you need for the Kreg jig http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262487804585
Hi Matt,
I've seen them with the pocket hole jig book.
I think bigger clamps like 'F' clamps I need to hold the jig and my wood firmly!
If I can get that right at least I've got a good chance of making a good marking and cutting out of a joint!
Bloody one handed!!! Why didn't we born with three arms! But some people are born with less and achieve emazing things...I'm just starting out..
If there's a way m all that lol.
No such thing is disibilty...just how I adapt it to achieve my aim!!
Making a simple box is acheivable...and I'll work hard to get it..mistakes on the way..learning all the time...
I'm pumped up N ready!! Hahaha!
Later m8
ATB
Bri

MattRoberts":253g0cya said:

Hello Matt,
I've bought the 1:8 one with a saw!
I'll get on with it...marking first over n over til I get it right..then saw n saw till I get it right n so on..you get the idea lol.
It's hard nuff with two hands..ha!
ATB
Bri

this is far as I got after hrs n hrs..
then it went Pete Tong after that....ill have show you and get a pic...if I dare! for learning purposes of course, and a bit micky taking lol
ATB
Bri

Attachments

• IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 1,386
Looking like a set of broken teeth Bri! :D

In all seriousness, looks like a good start to me. One suggestion would be to saw next to the lines, and then use a chisel to pare up to the line. The saw gets rid of the majority of the material, and then the chisel is just to pare to the line. You have a lot more control over a chisel than a saw.

I'd advise checking some of Matt Cremona's videos on YouTube - he uses that technique for his dovetails :)

manxnorton":3hxzawbb said:
MattRoberts":3hxzawbb said:

Hello Matt,
I'll get on with it...marking first over n over til I get it right..then saw n saw till I get it right n so on..you get the idea lol.
ATB
Bri

Hello Bri,

the 1:8 Veritas Magnetic Dovetail Jig is the perfect tool for you. I know someone near me who has one so, if it's any use I can borrow that and take a series of photos showing how it can be used one handed to cut the dovetails for the Paul Sellers project.

You'll know I'll be cutting the dovetails one handed, because I'll be holding the camera in the other hand!

Let me know if you think this would be useful.

custard":230i2pfy said:
manxnorton":230i2pfy said:
MattRoberts":230i2pfy said:

Hello Matt,
ATB
Bri

Hello Bri,

the 1:8 Veritas Magnetic Dovetail Jig is the perfect tool for you. I know someone near me who has one so, if it's any use I can borrow that and take a series of photos showing how it can be used one handed to cut the dovetails for the Paul Sellers project.

You'll know I'll be cutting the dovetails one handed, because I'll be holding the camera in the other hand!

Let me know if you think this would be useful.

M8 am I alloyed to call call you by your first name lol..or custard will be ok?
Tbh with this negative feeling I'm getting for just gettin the first stage right..forget the cutting out the joints..if it's not working for me, and if there is a easierway to skin a cat!! I'm ip for it
ATB
Bri

Back