Bringing old oak door back to life

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldbrummie

Reaction score
Hi, any idea how to bring this old oak door back to life again..for example should I use varnish or oil after sanding .... 1920's how in a conservation area so I need to keep the door

Any help would be great

Steve
_20160407_105014_1.JPG

Attachments

• _20160407_105014_1.JPG
    _20160407_105014_1.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 1,290
Sand it, oil it. Must say it looks good as is apart from the bottom greying a little

Coley

I'd be very careful about sanding this. Have you thought about how you'll sand around the hinges, not to mention the bolts and not have the scratches show up? Particularly if you're going to oil this cross-grain scratches will be plainly evident.

I would try a stripper, then use scraping to get any tricky spots.

Well that'll help! Was that a big job? I wouldn't have thought they'd be easy to remove.

Make sure you oil it well where the ironmongery touches it - you'll have blue black stains everywhere otherwise. If you're painting the hinges do the backs as well, bare steel and oak are a no no. (unless you're doing it deliberately of course :D ) For the same reason don't be tempted to use wire wool.

I would scrape it, instead of sanding, please show us pictures when you've finished, that's a nice looking door by the way, you can't beat oak doors.

Steel and oak are not good bedfellows so a good long lasting finish on the steel is as important as that on the oak. I would Galvafroid any bare steel before painting it.

Jim

DSC_0018-min.JPG

Looking better now, I've left the lion head door knocker off...it reminded me of my home team Aston Villa :( :(

I couldn't get some of the grey wood to clean up, but I think it adds to the door.

Attachments

• DSC_0018-min.JPG
    DSC_0018-min.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 887

Latest posts

Back