Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I started this thread it was as a 'heads up' to anyone who regularly or occasionally brings in items from the EU. A few months back there was a useful thread (I think in woodturning/lathes) about ordering a chuck from Australia, how did the total cost compare with buying locally. That sort of informative discussion is helpful

It's turned into a Brexit debate with the odd useful question and comment on practical things. It's all very entertaining I (and I must admit to being very pro Europe for reasons that go well beyond economics) but three things are clear:

• Nothing said on here will change anyone else's mind. Opinions are entrenched regardless of facts so there is little point arguing
  • Nothing on here will influence the bigger debate. If you feel strongly then raise your voice at election time and be careful who you vote for. But do vote, even the EU referendum had a dismal turnout. Even if you convince all the contributors here it makes no difference.
  • It's done, its over. We live with it whether we like it or not.
So back to the purpose of the post, if you plan to bring stuff in take care and check out what you need to do and what costs and delays you might face, just like you would from any other country.

Happy New Year all, although I won't be celebrating at 11.00 pm (midnight CET) when many of my rights and protections evaporate.
All very true. I think it will take about 10 years from now before we can begin to see what the implications of brexit are both economically and politically. We may see a change in public opinion which may go either way, will we move closer to the EU or further away? Only time will tell.

Will Northern Ireland and/or Scotland leave the UK? Again time will tell.

What I think we should learn is if we have referendums the options should be clearly defined. Not allow one side to claim many advantages, most of which are mutually exclusive. Here I am thinking particularly of a future Scottish Independance referendum.

Some very hyped up comments on here and people reading into things that aren't there.

There are things that will definitely be good, there are things that will definitely be bad and there are things that we just don't just don't know because they will depend on a whole host of other things to come.
Whatever happens though, moaning about how good it would be if it didn't happen won't help, saying "I told you so" only makes you feel good, but doesn't actually help anything and usually makes the other person think (politely) less of you.

I made my peace with Brexit the day after the referendum, I accepted the result just like I accept the result of every Election I have "lost".
No use getting worked up about something you can change (yet).

Just don't make the dog sofa from anything you need to order from outside the UK; no one yet seems to have a clue how to get it into the country.

You seem to like telling me about running my business, but I kept telling you I'm fine and dandy. I have organised everything very well thank you. I guess you haven't then.

You seem to like telling me about running my business, but I kept telling you I'm fine and dandy. I have organised everything very well thank you. I guess you haven't then.
I don’t believe I've ever told a single soul how to run their business (nor do I plan to start). But... maybe don't enter a thread to stir things up and then get grumpy that you get responses, yea?

Deleted on Dr Bob's request. Not even minor handbags, but it was a fair request.

Last edited:
@sploo I have to place an order for a product from the EU some time next year (I am fairly well stocked currently). I'll let you how I get on and if I have any trouble. My expectation is that I will have to pay more than I usually do but exactly how much I am not sure yet.

@sploo I have to place an order for a product from the EU some time next year (I am fairly well stocked currently). I'll let you how I get on and if I have any trouble. My expectation is that I will have to pay more than I usually do but exactly how much I am not sure yet.
Thanks. I assume sellers will have to work this out (rather than customers) as they could fall foul of legal issues or have items delayed, or find end customers getting unexpected charges - none of which you'd want to see happen as a business. Cross fingers it becomes clear reasonably quickly, and without too much in the way of added costs.

Thanks. I assume sellers will have to work this out (rather than customers) as they could fall foul of legal issues or have items delayed, or find end customers getting unexpected charges - none of which you'd want to see happen as a business. Cross fingers it becomes clear reasonably quickly, and without too much in the way of added costs.

I anticipate a small import duty to be added, probably in the region of the 2.5% that is listed for lower priced goods. the VAT charge will be the same as it was before I suspect. I doubt I will see any need to raise my prices because of it but we'll see.
I purposely made sure I wouldn't need to order anything in the first half of 2021 for just this reason, it's selfish I know but I wanted to let others do it first and see their experience.

I would expect that there will normally be a contractual discussion. The seller will do their best to state that all taxes and duties are excluded from the price. The buyer will push for everything to be included. Business to business it probably doesn't matter that much, but may have an impact on cash flow in some circumstances. Much like discussing who pays/arranges for shipping. As a trade buyer we don't mind doing it as long as we are not paying for shipping and still paying the shipper ourselves.

Consumers make things more difficult and there is usually more legal protection for them, or has been with the EU. For example, retail prices quoted in vat. Consumers would likely expect the sellers to work everything out, or at least be very clear about at what point the UK government become responsible- much like buying from the USA. After a certain point, Lie Nielsen say "that's it for what you pay us, but if your government charge more, then you have to pay it".

I haven't read the documents and guidance. I will need to get my head around it when I get back to work but hopefully there will be some more info by then. I am expecting that we will pay more in logistics costs, possibly a bit more for goods if export or import paperwork is required. Some of this will almost certainly be pushed to the suppliers, depending on the market conditions and our bargaining power.

I purposely made sure I wouldn't need to order anything in the first half of 2021 for just this reason, it's selfish I know but I wanted to let others do it first and see their experience.
I wouldn't consider that selfish - I'd consider that a smart bit of forward planning!

Unfortunately I had some fairly expensive kit die on me just before Xmas, so I suspect I'll be finding out what an early 2021 order is going to look like.

I wouldn't consider that selfish - I'd consider that a smart bit of forward planning!

Unfortunately I had some fairly expensive kit die on me just before Xmas, so I suspect I'll be finding out what an early 2021 order is going to look like.

just what you need!

price is one thing, availability could be another challenge if it is anything like so many other products.

I would expect that there will normally be a contractual discussion. The seller will do their best to state that all taxes and duties are excluded from the price. The buyer will push for everything to be included. Business to business it probably doesn't matter that much, but may have an impact on cash flow in some circumstances. Much like discussing who pays/arranges for shipping. As a trade buyer we don't mind doing it as long as we are not paying for shipping and still paying the shipper ourselves.

Consumers make things more difficult and there is usually more legal protection for them, or has been with the EU. For example, retail prices quoted in vat. Consumers would likely expect the sellers to work everything out, or at least be very clear about at what point the UK government become responsible- much like buying from the USA. After a certain point, Lie Nielsen say "that's it for what you pay us, but if your government charge more, then you have to pay it".

I haven't read the documents and guidance. I will need to get my head around it when I get back to work but hopefully there will be some more info by then. I am expecting that we will pay more in logistics costs, possibly a bit more for goods if export or import paperwork is required. Some of this will almost certainly be pushed to the suppliers, depending on the market conditions and our bargaining power.
[/QUOT

UKgov guidance is that the previous consumer rights have been binned and if you have any issues they point to the local court in the EU state concerned.

UKgov guidance is that the previous consumer rights have been binned and if you have any issues they point to the local court in the EU state concerned.

That is inevitable, as there is no longer any automatic recognition of judgments between UK and EU countries.

just what you need!

price is one thing, availability could be another challenge if it is anything like so many other products.
I've lost count of the number of times I've had something break/get lost/suddenly need to be purchased... about a week before Xmas 😣. It's always a pain, but obviously this time it has potentially added inconvenience - but I guess I'll find out in time!

....Nothing said on here will change anyone else's mind. Opinions are entrenched regardless of facts so there is little point arguing
As the problems emerge the remainers (including me) will say we told you so.
The brexiters will say it's all the EU's fault and that the problems just show/prove how EU is over regulated.
Johnson will resign and simply blame everybody and everything for having failed to take advantage of his "amazing achievement".
The worrying thing is that I haven't heard/read anything from the media or anywhere, from anybody who sees a directly and identifiable specific opportunity for themselves, their businesses, least of all their education
There seems to be nothing in it for anybody - except possibly the Irish who might finally move towards a united Ireland, which could make it all worthwhile! Johnson would claim the credit however.
Johnson's dad is applying for French citizenship.
I'm sure I must have an Irish relative, I'll see if I can get a passport!

Last edited:
As the problems emerge the remainers (including me) will say we told you so.

While I am sure that makes you feel fantastic and smug and oh so clever, it's not really very helpful is it? I am sure if the situation were reversed and we were having lots of problems inside the EU you would really annoyed if Brexiteers kept saying "I told you so" and being all smug about it. You wouldn't see it as useful you would think poorly of them and rightly so.

It also begs the question, what if things go really well and the UK prospers beyond all predictions and in the meantime the EU collapses due to internal pressures not related to the UK leaving. Will you fess up and say "you were right and I was wrong"?

While I am sure that makes you feel fantastic and smug and oh so clever, it's not really very helpful is it?
It wasn't a particularly clever opinion - more like bloody obvious. Not helpful I agree but there's non so blind as those who will not see.
By the way, is help actually needed this soon? Are things not going as predicted?
It also begs the question, what if things go really well and the UK prospers beyond all predictions and in the meantime the EU collapses due to internal pressures not related to the UK leaving. Will you fess up and say "you were right and I was wrong"?
Of course I would! I'd be greatly relieved. Is that really what you think will happen?

Last edited:
I'm sure I must have an Irish relative, I'll see if I can get a passport!
You don't need one.

AFAIK there is free movement within these Islands.

At least for today. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back