breakage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon T

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Had some time this afternoon so set up a nice piece of yew log, to make a table lamp (to replace a broken one). I have made four lamps before so should be nice and easy. Started to hollow out with the auger when snap..........I pulled out the auger to find an inch off the end missing!!!!!

It had sheared off. Then spent a large amount of time cutting up the log to find an inch of the auger fixed firmly in the slice of yew.

Has anyone come across this before? and has anyone reshaped an auger that is twisted and bent out of all proportion???

And no there was not a nail in the log

GT

HI

I had this once with a shell auger but that broke off at the join between the shaft and the cutting head. What type/make is yours?

Not sure it is worth trying to repair because unless you get it absolutely perfect you will never get the hole to meet in the middle.

I think your best bet is to buy a new one. :cry: Depending on how long ago you brought it, it might be worth taking it back to see if you can get either a free or discounted replacement.

john

Gordon.
I have turned a few lamps now,using a Sorby Auger,and must admit when i was boring out i thought the Auger was breaking up inside,and could see/feel how easy it would be for the Auger to catch and bind,especially if i tried to do too much in one go,so i just do little and clear out as much shaving as possible,but i wouldn't expect it to break as yours has.
Was yours a new one.

Darn it Russell I almost broke my Monitor trying to kill that bloddy Fly :oops:

Are there good and not so good augers and Fostner bits. If so how about pointing me in the right direction. Regards Boysie.

Hello all, I don't know the make of the auger, but I got it from a normally reliable dealer.......I'll go get another one.

I had only done four lamps with it, and I have had it ages, perhaps it broke because of the intense cold in the workshop!!!

The log was dry.

Russell must have opened his wallet, one of his flies has escaped. :lol:

GT

I haven't broken an auger or bit, but I did set a piece of yew on fire. I had turned a table lamp and then started to bore out the centre, but the auger met some resistance then started to smoke quite prolifically. There was a very hard patch of heart wood on the outside of the wood which made the chisel chatter; presumably the auger wasn't up to boring through it, is it possible to reharden an overheated auger?
A previous piece of yew shattered when I was turning it because of a similar 'flaw'. The flying bits of yew were a lot harder than the skin on my face. (hammer)

Whitley, heh heh, hope you are better now.

jpt, it turns out ( no pun intended ), the the snapped auger was a Record one. Anyway, I have now bought a new one a Crown, it is very robust, and tons stronger, it gave that piece of yew hell, and now the lamp is finished,wired and giving off a soft glow on the conservatory.I am stiil reeling from the price of the new one though.

GT

Hi PaulJ, I don't own a digital camera, and wouldn't know the first thing about getting pics onto this site. I am a bit of a dinosaur, not yet extinct.

Would that be a pic of the auger or the lamp?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

GT

Gordon T":1hnaekib said:
Whitley, heh heh, hope you are better now.

jpt, it turns out ( no pun intended ), the the snapped auger was a Record one. Anyway, I have now bought a new one a Crown, it is very robust, and tons stronger, it gave that piece of yew hell, and now the lamp is finished,wired and giving off a soft glow on the conservatory.I am stiil reeling from the price of the new one though.

GT

Snap :lol: same make as the one I broke like THIS

john

Hey John, yes that's the one.

The Crown one I got yesterday is much more robust, I can't see the new one breaking, not that I do many lamps, just got to remember to keep it sharp, and not to use yew any more.

GT

HI Gordon

Got to get a new one myself, I am going to the Alexandra Palace show next week so I will be having a look there.

john

Back