Break from production work.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Got several pieces on the go, here are two that I have pretty much completed, one ordinary and one more my 'normal' style.

This is from a wood that looks, smells (chocolaty) and feels familiar but I can't place it. Got several planks of it anyway what ever it is. The bowl / stand is 180mm dia. and 240mm tall.
bowl on stand 2.jpg
bowl on stand 3.jpg

This one I call 'treasures from the deep. The amphora is very old apple and is 200mm long and is on a slate base. The pearls are natural cultivated ones.
amphora. pearls 2.jpg
amphora. pearls mo.jpg

C+C welcome as always.

Attachments

• bowl on stand 2.jpg
    bowl on stand 2.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 1,301
  • bowl on stand 3.jpg
    bowl on stand 3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,301
  • amphora. pearls 2.jpg
    amphora. pearls 2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,301
  • amphora. pearls mo.jpg
    amphora. pearls mo.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,301
Both of these are very well turned which I would expect from you anyway.
I really like the amphora one but the bottom looks a little to fat at the rounded end I feel it could have been a little longer making that rounded bottom a little smaller. Hope that made sense

I really loved the ampura , the figure in that old apple is what does it for me. I called my wife over to look at it.
Can you turn a set of pearls for her? :)

Thank you Dalboy. As i do a lot of the 'rustic' vessels I have accumulated galleries of different styles of pottery and it is surprising the variation of shapes and sizes that exist within the different styles. Amphorae come in a lot of different shapes and sizes, some fatter than this one, some with flat bottoms to stand up, some with handles, some without. I agree that our view of them nowadays is possibly as being slimmer but this shape is well within the historical styles found. I could have gone thinner but the wood at that end was soft enough to cut with my finger nail in place so I went for the fatter look in order to preserve it. I am waiting for it to totally dry out inside then I need to attack it with a dremel to get rid of some of the fur that is left. It is that bad LOL.

Pete

woodfarmer":12nyv34i said:
I really loved the ampura , the figure in that old apple is what does it for me. I called my wife over to look at it.
Can you turn a set of pearls for her? :)

LOL. No but I can get some for her if she wants LOL.

Pete

I agree that they come in different shapes my observation was just my personal liking of the shape. I like the fact that you have inclusions within the turning as though it had been on a sea be for many a year.

Lovely work Pete :)

The first one might be wenge perhaps, but not very good with wood id ?!!!

Cheers, Paul

Thank you Paul, the stem is wenge but the base and top are some other wood I was given. I have several planks of it so it would be good to know what it is. It's annoying as I have seen and smelt this before but just can't remember what it was, if I knew at the time that is LOL.

Pete

Especially like the Amphora, I know what you mean about having to leave it too Pete, some things you know aren't quite how you'd like them to be, but there just are no more cuts available!

Thank you one and all. I assume you mean the amphora Bob. Yes I am demoing there on hollow forms so this one will be on the example table if not sold.

Pete

Latest posts

Back