Breadboard ends advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use half and half drain cleaner and water on new pine before waxing, gives it a lovely, instant aged look.

Try it on a cutting first and don't be scared of the bright yellow colour, it fades overnight to a pale brown which you can use clear or coloured wax on, depending how dark you want it.

Wear gloves as well if you try it, it's a bit nippy on the fingers.

Shug

Jacob wrote:
with butted joints I always flood both sides with glue - too much is better than too little.

Phil.P wrote:

So would I, my thinking as well - but why do glue manufacturers specify "apply to one side only"? I never have had a good answer.

I would suggest that just right is better than too much. Putting glue on both surfaces will usually mean too much, resulting in messy squeeze out and wasted gue (I've been living in Yorkshire a while!). I aim for a very small,bead of squeeze out all along the join, not dollops dripping out.

Chris

The box looks good. Well done. Nice figure on the boards. If it was me, I'd put a couple of coats of spirit sanding sealer, then a coat of wax on. If you wax straight into that I think it will be a bit pale. The sanding sealer makes it go a nice honey colour.

Mr T":2pf92fdn said:
Jacob wrote:
with butted joints I always flood both sides with glue - too much is better than too little.

Phil.P wrote:

So would I, my thinking as well - but why do glue manufacturers specify "apply to one side only"? I never have had a good answer.

I would suggest that just right is better than too much. Putting glue on both surfaces will usually mean too much, resulting in messy squeeze out and wasted gue (I've been living in Yorkshire a while!). I aim for a very small,bead of squeeze out all along the join, not dollops dripping out.

Chris
"Just right" is difficult to get just right, more so with big pieces, so "too much" is safer. I came to this conclusion after having one or two things fail. If there's a bit of glue missing this is much the same as a crack and is where a break will start if under enough stress.

Back