Bread knife repair - new ferrule needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freddyjersey2016

Established Member
Reaction score
I help out at a Repair Cafe - at the latest session, a customer brought in an ancient bread knife - blade good, nicely carved wooden handle detached from the handle. There would have been a 'domed' metal ferrule approx 12mm in diameter which the blade went though into the handle - this has disappeared. Any ideas where I can find one for sale?

is the ferrule a solid bolster or is it hollow so that the blade fits into it?

It is a hollow dome (not a tube ferrule) that I am after - approx a hemisphere 12mm in diameter - I have found a number of knife parts suppliers - but they tend to be selling parts of heavy duty 'survival' type knives, e.g. brass bolsters designed for a much heavier blade than a bread knife.

It is a hollow dome (not a tube ferrule) that I am after - approx a hemisphere 12mm in diameter - I have found a number of knife parts suppliers - but they tend to be selling parts of heavy duty 'survival' type knives, e.g. brass bolsters designed for a much heavier blade than a bread knife.

there should be some professional knife supply places in the UK. There are many in the US and they typically sell everything from kits down to individual components. If the knife you have was a common type, then they should have either a finished component or something that could be made into that.

I've never looked at knife supply stuff outside of the US, so I can only suggest having a look around the internet if nobody here comes up with a place.

There's a huge hobby of making knives in the US, but they aren't so good at talking about old knives and old methods - I don't recall seeing people from the UK and got banned from the site for discussing hardening and tempering in a forge, or I'd go there and ask. Apparently, that's considered trolling and as someone who hardens and tempers in a forge, I'd never have guessed it was that contentious.

Latest posts

Back