Bread boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
Inevitably I've made breadboards using a bandsaw & plane.

How do you turn one?
I see its easy to make a round one with a nice "top" screwed on a faceplate but what I'm really asking is how do you hold it to turn and get a unmarked clean base?
Double sided tape??

Hi Lurker.

If your chuck has jaws with threaded bolt holes in them ie: Nova 100mm or 130mm you can make a set of MDF "Cole Jaws" to fit on. Yet because I turn very little bread board type work, I do use double sided tape when I am asked to make any. (Never got around to making my own Cole Jaws yet. :oops: )

LOL - there we go again !

you wont get any of the non turners joining in with talk like that :lol:

Alternatively use PVA and paper instead of double sided tape. Splits of real easy with a bit of gentle persuasion with a chisel. (Don't use newspaper as the glue soaks through and glues wood to wood....DAMHIK)

Pete

you can also use button jaws to hold the blank which you clean up the bottom (or use them to hold the blank first while you put a nice chuck recess in the bottom - you then reverse it turn the top while its held on the chuck , then either a) keep the recess as a feature, b) hold the board on buttons once more while you turn the recess away or c) fill the recess with a contrastibng wood disk glued in .

for those that dont know this is what button jaws look like

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -21612.htm

these are the axminster ones but you can also get them for sorby, nova, record etc

Hi guys,

I usually treat them like a flat bowl, so turn the bottom first, mounted on a faceplate with tiny screws, leaving a spiggot to grip with the chuck, finish the majority of the bottom nice and flat (slightly concave to allow for movement) and mark the centre of the spiggot with the point of a tool...

Flip it round and finish turn the face then reverse it using a flat disc of MDF or similar and a piece of router mat, bring the revolving centre up to hold it in place like this:

P2070163.JPG

The tiny pip thats left can easily be carved and sanded away to end up with something like this:

Chopping%20Pepper.JPG

and:

Chopping%20Boards.JPG

Hope this makes sense and helps,

Richard

lurker":7vbqdjmk said:
That was quick

However you assume I know what you are talking about :lol:

:lol: :lol:

the easiest way to make one on your lathe would be to use a sacraficial block of wood 11 3/4" diameter.

1.mount the bread board wood on a faceplate and turn it into the round

2.clean up the bottom of the board making it slightly concave you could turn a internal dovetail recess for your chuck but this is for food use and it will only get grubby and be arkward to clean, another alternative is to use an internal recess and turn a plug to fill it afterwards but ideally you dont want any other than a smooth bottom :p

3.turn the sides of your board parallel, sand and finish the bottom and sides now.

4.take your board of the faceplate

5. attach your saccraficial bit of wood to the faceplate and turn a reccess in it to accept the bread board, you are now making a jam chuck, it needs to be a tight fit, dont worry about having to tap it in with a mallet,

6. you can now turn the top the bread board, sand and finish it.

7. now you can either tap the edge of your jam chuck and hope it pops out they normally do :roll: or before you mount it on the faceplate drill some holes in the back of the jam chuck so that with a wooden dowel you can tap it out from behind.

Thanks Richard, that makes sense

Actually it was your website & the pictures shown that has inspired me to have a go.

Hi C,

Thanks for that,

I'll try a hybrid of the two I think, however your method was what was going through my head the more I thought of it.

You both make the comment of making the bottom concave.
Logical but I had not thought of that! :lol:

All I need now is some planks of Sycamore - hint hint :wink:

Actually it was your website & the pictures shown that has inspired me to have a go

Thanks for the comment Lurker. Nice to know I've actually inspired someone!! :shock: :oops: :D

I did have some 40mm Sycamore which I was saving for chopping boards but since my workshop move I'm not sure what wood I've got and what I've not!!! :roll: I definately have some 50mm Beech though if you can't get any from anywhere else. I'll take a look around for the Sycamore and get back to you. Cornucopia's Ash would look good as a chopping board, as he says, a little open grained but would really look good!!

Cheers

Richard

With thin boards (25-30mm) mount sacrificial wood block to chuck, face off the front, flat or slightly concave.

Use hot melt glue to attach roughed out blank using tailstock centre to aid alignment.

True up flat face as base and edge, including dovetail socket if blank thick enough and sand to finish.

If not thick enough for socket repeat process by glueing finished base to another piece of scrap wood, turn off scrap and finish off top face.
Remove from lathe and carefully split scrap wood off base with chisel along the grain and lightly sand any blemish by hand.

See item 51 page 3 & several items on page 4 of my gallery.

Example of thin item with socket using hot glue mounting block about 75mm square for first side.
DSC01054.JPG

Back