Box wood.. not boxwood,

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick search for 'thin' (my definition) wood, thinking it may be suited to making boxes, I searched for box wood,
and most came back with 9-12mm thick?
Is it possible to find (not ply) wood at 4-6mm thick please?
Not 8x4, thinking 3" by a couple of feet?

Quick search for 'thin' (my definition) wood, thinking it may be suited to making boxes, I searched for box wood,
and most came back with 9-12mm thick?
Is it possible to find (not ply) wood at 4-6mm thick please?
Not 8x4, thinking 3" by a couple of feet?
There is a firm on Ebay offering 3/4/6mm boards in various species ( the one I bought was Swiss Pear) The size is 340mm x 150mm. Go by the name Real fine woods

Me too, maybe I should start splitting all that nice oak I've got and plane it down to 5mm and flog it. I've been using it for templets, it's lovely stuff.

IMG_4956.JPG

Last edited:
I once had a comission for several American black walnut, tables. After planing and cutting the sawn- stock to size, The lorry load of timber that had arrived, fitted neatly onto my settimg-out bench . Since then, I have realised that the more you take away from timber, the more expensive it becomes!

I used study at the london college of furniture in the late 70's (now sadly gone) and Bob Smith the founder of Timberline was a student there and he knows his woods!! Timberline usually has a good selection.
Cheers
Andrew

Back