Bought my first lathe yesterday 😁

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britman

Chip of the old block
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
It might only be the Axminster AW205 but I love it.
I haven't turned anything proper yet, just practiced on some oak scraps. I also picked up the Axminster pen starter kit which I'm really looking forward to using.

I'm already £500 lighter 🤣
Don't worry, you going to double or triple that outlay for the extras, tools, chucks, sharpening system, live centres, steb centres, various tool rests in various sizes, face shield, air power respirator visor, wide selection of hss tools in various shapes, types and sizes.

And that's just off the top 9f my head,, if i give it some thought, there's plenty nty more to go with that lot.

As I said early, the journey down the rabbit hope has o ly just begun.

The upside to all that is turning wood is bloody good fun, the sanding and finishing is a bit pants though 😅🤣😂

When I started my woodturning 'journey', the best advice I got went something like this:

"Don't start off by planning to make anything - spend your time reducing tree trunks to cocktail sticks. Learn the importance of stance, hip movement and weight transference and don't, repeat don't, persevere with blunt tools.

Develop a good understanding of tool geometry and sharpen your tools in the way that suits YOU best. When you get to the point where you are getting a really good finishing cut off the tool, that's the point in your 'journey' to decide what your first piece will be.

Chalk up all of the catches, torn grain and the odd box / bowl that ends up as a serviette ring to experience, but above all, enjoy yourself !" ...

Don't worry, you going to double or triple that outlay for the extras, tools, chucks, sharpening system, live centres, steb centres, various tool rests in various sizes, face shield, air power respirator visor, wide selection of hss tools in various shapes, types and sizes.

And that's just off the top 9f my head,, if i give it some thought, there's plenty nty more to go with that lot.

As I said early, the journey down the rabbit hope has o ly just begun.

The upside to all that is turning wood is bloody good fun, the sanding and finishing is a bit pants though 😅🤣😂
I already have few of those items. The chap at Axminster upgraded the live and stab centre that come with the lathe to something a little nicer.
Got a record power 4 Jaw chuck from Yandles on a sale price and I already have a Trend face mask respirator thing, aure it needs a new visor but works well enough for now

A word of caution, be careful asking about sharpening tools.

It causes quite a stir amongst members, normally a polite riot 🤣🤣🤣

Join a club or a men's shed if you have one nearby. Youtube is great (especially Richard Raffan and Tomislav Tomasic who give good explanations of why they do what they do) but you can't beat first hand learning from someone who knows what they are doing. But be prepared to get many different varieties of advice from diferent advisors!

I'd quite like a small lathe, I even bought a couple of gouges, but it's a rabbit hole I don't feel I can afford to go down.
I am the same, I love the idea of doing it but keep telling myself I have no room. My mens shed now has a few Lathes setup and we’re going to have some lessons from Gary Rance who is local and I have seen him in action, he was awesome.

When I started my woodturning 'journey', the best advice I got went something like this:

"Don't start off by planning to make anything - spend your time reducing tree trunks to cocktail sticks. Learn the importance of stance, hip movement and weight transference and don't, repeat don't, persevere with blunt tools.

Develop a good understanding of tool geometry and sharpen your tools in the way that suits YOU best. When you get to the point where you are getting a really good finishing cut off the tool, that's the point in your 'journey' to decide what your first piece will be.

Chalk up all of the catches, torn grain and the odd box / bowl that ends up as a serviette ring to experience, but above all, enjoy yourself !" ...
Agree with that but would add; get a woodburner it makes it all worth while!
Not joking you can burn all the shavings, offcuts, mistakes, and save on your heating bills.
Also it's a good excuse - "I'm just doing a bit of turning for the fire I won't be long..." etc.

Back