Corsi Rosenthal Box - Cheap air purifier for my mini-garage 'workshop'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbier

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right place for this thread but here goes. I have to do any woodworking in my garage which I also use for exercise. I want to keep it clean by dust extraction at the source only does so much. I'm wondering about building one of these:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corsi–Rosenthal_Box
As far as I understand this is an old 'trick' but got popularised and named during the pandemic. Has anyone done this? I don't really do enough woodworking to invest in a 'proper' (commercially purchased) solution and I already have a reasonable 18" fan, some wood I could use as a shroud and some scrap wood to make a frame. Has anyone else made one? Any good sources of filters in the UK? Anything else to watch out for?

Thanks

All filters become harder to pull air through as they load up with particles.
The design of fan in the wikipedia photos is a type that is good at moving a high volume of air but it creates very little suction. Adding the filters will reduce the basic airflow through the fan by quite a lot and it will get less as the filters fill with dust.
Commercial air filter fan units tend not to use that type of fan. They are more likely to use one that looks like a squirrel cage.
BUT
Putting multiple filters in a box boosts the filter area a lot and compensates for the choice of a common, cheap, less suitable fan.
It looks like a great idea. When you try it, please share some photos👍

I'm not sure this is the right place for this thread but here goes. I have to do any woodworking in my garage which I also use for exercise. I want to keep it clean by dust extraction at the source only does so much. I'm wondering about building one of these:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corsi–Rosenthal_Box
As far as I understand this is an old 'trick' but got popularised and named during the pandemic. Has anyone done this? I don't really do enough woodworking to invest in a 'proper' (commercially purchased) solution and I already have a reasonable 18" fan, some wood I could use as a shroud and some scrap wood to make a frame. Has anyone else made one? Any good sources of filters in the UK? Anything else to watch out for?

Thanks
How about putting a door on the underside so that you can shake or vac any dust off the filters at regular intervals.

Latest posts

Back