Bought a router table need a router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
Those of you that know me are surely aware of my habit of using ingenuity to compensate for poverty.

I got this ancient spindle moulder for 25 euros. The hole in the table is way too small for any kind of modern spindle moulder tooling and the spindle itself is one inch in diametre which is a rather obsolete size is Europe. It came with a pair of slotted collars for slip knives and that was clearly the only tooling it could ever take. The wooden machine frame is gone.
fräsbord1.JPG

fräsbord2.JPG

The intention is to convert this wreck into a super solid professional router table with the most luxuous router lift in Finland. Just unbolt the bearing blocks and install a 12mm mild steel plate with a mounting bracket for the router onto the mounts for the old bearing blocks using the old square head bolts.

Are there any suitable fixed base routers or router motors on the market for this purpose?

Disclaimer......please do not ever convert a spindle moulder to router table unless the hole in the table is too small to ever be usable with modern tooling. Old spindle moulders are great machines in their own right and there is a finite number in existance. Every usable castr iron spindle moulder that is destroyed is a loss for mankind.

Attachments

• fräsbord1.JPG
    fräsbord1.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,446
  • fräsbord2.JPG
    fräsbord2.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,446
I'd definitely recommend the dewalt dw26200 fixed base. A brilliant router, and the fixed base has four screw threads so you can mount it in to a table easily. The beauty of it is the quick release, allowing you to slide it out, change the bit and slide it back in to the exact same position. I'd go for the fixed and plunge base combo, so you can pop it out of the table and into the plunge Base and away you go.

I've not used it yet, but I've just got one of the Triton routers as they have a lift built in - not sure what your aspirations are with this project though and whether you want to build the lift yourself.

Triton also recommended

Hint and tip 4486... always always always use the router base as a template, lol

I have heard that Triton has had some quality problems lately. I would not spend my money on a machine of doubtful quality.

I just need a motor unit. No lift. I already have a lift and know how to convert it. I am becoming a pretty decent backstreet mechanic by now so that conversion should not be a problem.

I would recommend one of the many big beefy 2kw routers (Freud, making, Elu etc) with a routerraizer (sp), but as you have the lift, I can recommend the Bosch motor. Great speed control and easy bit changes from above the table.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I don't think it's possible to buy router motors on their own in europe, you'd have to buy the whole router setup. buying only motors seems to be a north american thing mainly. The rutlands motor is an exception to this rule, but it's Rutlands and China all in one...

heimlaga

Have a look at the Draper Expert fixed base router, the motor unit is on a rack and comes out of the base, I think this applies to most fixed base routers, and France is on 230volt if that's what you want, although more expensive that buying in the UK.

Mike

The beauty of using the dewalt I mentioned is that you don't need a lift. As long as you don't mind sticking your arm under the table, you just twist it within the fixed base. And it has a dust port attachment.

I have the Triton TRA001 and it's a fab router. It's very powerful but smooth and it also has an option to lift from above when fixed into a table. Mine lives in a table full time and it's great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heimlaga":kp3o7ct2 said:
Are Bosch router motors available in Europe for 230 volt?

I couldn't find one when I was looking, as far as I could tell you had to buy a 110v one and use a transformer. I didn't look for long though as the rutlands and ebay options seemed better suited to me application.

Thanks you chaps.

Now I have at least some idea on what too look for and what I want. The wide variety on your answers has really been helpful and given me food for thoughts.

This project will be put aside in a corner until the rip saw is finished...at least.

I think I will buy an ordinary router and mount it to the converted quill assembly. Then I can remove it easily for handheld use. Two machiones at the cost of one. Money is extremely tight.
If I have money for a dedicated router motor I will buy one. Either from Rutlands or from one of the makers who cater to the industrial market.

Back