Bought a chainsaw mill!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. First post but attracted to the mill topic. I've also just bought a mill but opted for a Logosol due to stability on narrower logs. I'm running a MS661 and although it's ok I can offer a couple of pieces of advice to the OP.

First get in touch with Rob at Chainsaws UK (same bloke for Alaskan Mills) and get a ripping chain and bar from him - it will improve things. Second depending on what you are milling you might consider an auxiliary oiler - my first attempt was with some oak that has laid about and oh boy was it hard and did the saw get hot!!

aa9c7dac90531571d7563dff5a384a1f.jpg

95f399f0ca5ca86f8e65873aaec52e1c.jpg

Anyway, good luck with your new investment.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers and thumbs.

I don't have any photos, but I made a diy oiler from an old drink bottle and plastic tap designed for garden water butts. It dripped oil directly onto the chain at the tip and seemed to work quite well. Useful on wide oak planks.
Once you've taken a plank consider running your saw without a load for a while to give it a chance to cool down - we had a slight melting issue after we'd been working through several fuel tanks on an MS660.

Back