bosch gts 10, new motor???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejoiner

Reaction score
Hi there,
I've got a bosch gts 10 which has been hassle free for the last 6 years.
Yesterday while ripping some pine with a brand new blade the saw suddenly stopped.
There was quite a bit of plastic smelling smoke coming out of the motor.
I left it for a few hours and then tried starting it again, nothing.
I also noticed the blade does not turn as freely as it should now.
Do you think i just need a new motor and if so where would i get one?
Many thanks,
Willie

thejoiner":3qd257xh said:
Do you think i just need a new motor and if so where would i get one?

I'm no expert and it's just a random guess, but our strimmer had exactly the same symptoms over the weekend, and what had happened to that was that the bit of plastic which holds the brushes in place had come loose(!). If it's out of warranty and doesn't work, my first try is nearly always to [unplug it and] open it up and have a look if anything's obviously wrong. Obviously be careful with electrical parts and don't take anything apart that you don't feel confident that you can put back together, though!

If it's been used a lot over those six years, you may just have worn the brushes down, in which case - without knowing anything about the particular assembly - it should be a relatively straightforward job to replace them. Some manufacturers seem to consider brush wear as a built-in obsolescence, though. In the brush motors I've seen they're generally mounted at the opposite end to the drive shaft, spring-loaded to push into a rotating cylinder covered in contacts.

Bosch do spares and repairs, but it may be more economical to take it to a local electrical repair place if you can find one, depending on what needs to be done.

Stu_2":2gu6mg3n said:
Would be good to know, though. I've got the same saw, so would be interested how it turned out.
You are unlikely to find out as the OP hasn't been back on since the day he joined. ;)

Latest posts

Back