Bosch GCM8S Slide Mitre Saw - is it a toy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwilby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post but I've spent the afternoon reading this forum and have learnt a lot, thank you.

I'm going to be studding and plastboarding a room in a few weeks and need a decent mitre saw to replace a cheapie that I currently have. The problem with the current model (Fern I think) is that it doesn't cut straight. After reading this site, it seems this can be a common problem with mitre saws. Basically, the fence is all skewed and it has no locking facility for angled cuts.

Anyway, I'm going to treat myself with a new sliding mitre saw. I've read a lot of threads on here today about the different possibilites and am tending towards a Bosch GCM 8S or then the GCM 10 SD.

The GCM 8S is a reasonably priced machine and has a laser (wow! ;-)) but I'm not sure if it is really very robust nor whether it will be accurate.

The GCM 10SD is clearly a work-horse (I have read some of the reviews and opinions of the owners on this site, including viewing one picassa gallery which was really a great help!) and it looks very well built and very manly :)

However, its also quite a lot more dosh, so I wondered whether I would be going overboard by getting it. For my current project, neither will be particularly taxed, but I'd rather buy a tool once (well, twice in this case) and have it last rather than regret buying the 'cheaper' model in the future and have to shell out again...

Does anybody have any opinions of its smaller (and newer) brother, the GCM 8S ?

Thanks!

Hi mrwilby,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I can help with your question as I have a cheap and fairly nasty SMS from B&Q.:oops:

Your links have been cought by our spam trap, this will stop happening when you have a few more posts to your name. Here is the section so everyone can see what you are thinking about:

mrwilby":2o51skc3 said:
Anyway, I'm going to treat myself with a new sliding mitre saw. I've read a lot of threads on here today about the different possibilites and am tending towards a Bosch GCM 8S or then the GCM 10 SD.

Haven't tried either Bosch, but would question whether in fact you need to pay the extra for a sliding version for the applications mentioned ?

There are some good deals around on the DW703 (I think from memory at B&Q and possibly Screwfix) for around £170 or so (again from memory), and this is a cracking saw with decent capacity and very accurate, great for 2x4's and similar.

Used to have one myself before upgrading to a sliding version as I wanted to be able to crosscut wider pieces, but you pay a lot more for a decent and accurate sliding version so worth thinking carefully about what you really need......

Cheers, Paul. :D

Welcome to the forum

I have the bosch GCM10S professional. A really solid good saw, I bought this one because you can cut 62deg on the mitre which is useful for a lot or roofing jobs. It is a good solid saw.

When I bought mine it was in a promotion that included the Bosch stand which is nearly £200 for free. I would suggest that you search around for any Bosch promotions that may be available.

Les

Thanks chaps.

The reason I'm after a slider is because there is a possibility we may be building a new house in the future and I don't want to have to replace it after only a year or two... It just gives that bit more flexibility which I like to plan for :)

I'll have a look around for promotions but so far, the best I've seen is the amxinster deal that includes their (not highly regarded) stand... the bosch stand would be a massive bonus but I doubt that is available anymore...?

The |Bosch saw is great, the Ax stand isn't. Well, to me more accurate, the stand is OK but the interface between the two is AWFUL. I built a quick-release table to replace the dreadful saddle bent-tin affairs supplied as a means of fixing one to t'other.

Can't fault the saw.

S

Thanks Steve. If I recall, you have the GCM 10?

I wonder if anybody has any experience of the GCM 8?

PS. Steve, you're youtube videos were very interesting. I am contemplating a DVD order as I think you could teach me a lot!

chisel":24j26lf8 said:
Haven't tried either Bosch, but would question whether in fact you need to pay the extra for a sliding version for the applications mentioned ?

There are some good deals around on the DW703 (I think from memory at B&Q and possibly Screwfix) for around £170 or so (again from memory), and this is a cracking saw with decent capacity and very accurate, great for 2x4's and similar.

Used to have one myself before upgrading to a sliding version as I wanted to be able to crosscut wider pieces, but you pay a lot more for a decent and accurate sliding version so worth thinking carefully about what you really need......

Cheers, Paul. :D

I picked up a DW703 from B&Q yesterday...£169, reduced from £199. I haven't used it in anger yet, so I can't give you a review but it has a good reputation.

Hi,

I've had a DW703 for 3 years and hve to say it is an excellent piece of kit. Have just bought the Bosch GCM12S to replace the dewalt (with the axminster stand) and so far am happy with both of them

If you're anywhere near Bath I'm about to put the DW703 up for sale

Latest posts

Back