Book on furniture design recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshvegas

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recomendation on a good resource for the basics of furniture design? I have lot's of "ideas" and I work in 3D in a mindset my day job so I'm not talking about styles or joints etc more that actual functional aspect such as how big a chair should actually be and what angle of back rest maybe a bit about good proportions etc. I vaguely recall there being such a section in a copy of The New Metric Handbook I had but don't remember it being particularly comprehensive.

Cheers

Josh

industry standard reference book for the last 50 or so years has been:

Human Dimension and Interior Space: A Source Book of Design Referecve Standards

Also "Hard Facts About Soft Machines" is pretty good too

Does anyone have a recomendation on a good resource for the basics of furniture design? I have lot's of "ideas" and I work in 3D in a mindset my day job so I'm not talking about styles or joints etc more that actual functional aspect such as how big a chair should actually be and what angle of back rest maybe a bit about good proportions etc. I vaguely recall there being such a section in a copy of The New Metric Handbook I had but don't remember it being particularly comprehensive.

Cheers

Josh
Ergonomics

Ergonomics
I wrote that whole thing thinking "I know there is a word for this" but could i pin it down at the time? no chance. Thanks.

The question remains the same though. looks like Droogs has sorted me out!

The Shaker community in America had some excellent furniture designs which are well documented in books. Maybe worth a look.

One that I recommend avoiding is "The Gentleman and Cabinet Maker's Director".I have a facsimile reprint and feel quite ill when I look at the contents. I haven't yet read a book that really bridges the gap between locating features ergonomically and creating a structure that will efficiently contain the forces generated without being clunky.The Shaker aesthetic goes some way to this with their simple and elegant shapes but they didn't have access to modern glues or machinery.

'Neufert Architects Data ' is packed with just about anything man has turned his hand to. Mainly architecture but it has a lot on the design and ergonomics. of furniture.

Back