Resources on drawing furniture by hand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to ask if you know any resources on how to learn to draw furniture by hand (design process). I am well versed in 3D CAD software, but I would also like to learn to design the furniture on paper. I am not talking about 2D drawings, but about creating quick 3D sketches with good proportions in perspective.

Thank you.

3D "sketches" you just do freehand. Start now with HB pencil, rubber and paper.
Drawing board skills are more about accuracy resulting in "working drawings" for reference when you are designing and making things. Perspectives and other "3D" drawings are called "projections"
rhttps://www.google.com/search?q=drawing+projections+and+perspectives+by+hand&rlz=1C5CHFA_enGB924GB924&oq=drawing+projections+and+perspectives+by+hand&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l2.21710j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Or google "how to use a drawing board" and similar phrases

I think this is some part gift and some part learned skill. I don't have the gift and haven't learned the skill but good artists will learn proportion and accuracy so that they can draw curves or proportions continuously. I don't mean good woodworkers, but good artists.

The only person I know who draws their designs freehand and quickly mentioned spending hours as a child tracing pretty designs in textbooks, more or less ingraining the curves and visual sense of proportion before going freehand.

I think what you're looking for are some skills in descriptive geometry. Isometric projections lets you draw 3d objects on paper. This is a subject we covered in engineering school a long time ago, some of it stuck and I still use it when designing something.

Unless I’m losing my memory, which is possible, you used to be able to buy isometric projection paper which made sketching in proportion easier for quick planning before getting the drawing board out to do it properly

There are structured formulae for producing isometric or perspective drawings, but I've always gone with an informal, 'seat of the pants' approach.

I think that how you do things should accord with your aptitudes & temperament. As long as it works - that's the arbiter - it's got to work.

Take the structured approach if it suits you. Or just play until it seems to be coming right.

I studied art and graphic design in high school, all done on paper e.t.c it definitely helped, a technical drawing should be accurate, it doesn't have to be an amazing art piece, the joint sizes and proportions are the hard part, get that right and it'll be good, if it doesn't look right don't be afraid to change it, let your intuition guide you.

I am able to create technical drawings, as I did it for a living for 7 years. I wanted to learn to create sketches with 2 point perspective, but isometric views could be fine too. Most my products will be very basic with repetitive joints, so I do not need 3D cad software for this. So I wanted to speed things up by just creating a hand drawn 3D sketch with some basic dimensions and maybe draw some joint details next to it, so I know the joint dimensions (mortice and tenon sizes,spacings, etc.)

Here is one of the joints described in this treatise, "Tenon-and-mortise structural analysis, 81 methods of the tenon-and-mortise structure of classical furniture", perhaps this format can be used as an example for documenting your designs.

20220913_094442.jpg
20220913_094404.jpg
20220913_094416.jpg

20220913_094425.jpg
20220913_094433.jpg

Back